Edu faces racist taunts from Rangers fans

Maurice Edu 1 (Reuters)

Maurice Edu didn't play in Rangers' embarrassing 4-1 UEFA Champions League loss to Unirea Urziceni on Tuesday, but he made news nonetheless after accusing some Rangers fans of racially abusing him after the match.

Edu is sidelined with a knee injury, but attended the match at Ibrox. After the match, Edu was allegedly the target of racist taunts by Rangers fans, an incident Edu revealed on his Twitter page on Tuesday.

The incident has already been condemned by the Rangers Supporters Trust, which represents the club's supporters.

What do you think of this incident? Starting to think Edu should leave Scotland? Wondering when we will see him back on the field?

Comments

1. advocat, what the hell is your problem? You’ve now posted multiple times implying that certain players aren’t really Americans. And surprise, surprise… each time you’re refering to an American citizen of African descent. Maurice Edu was born and raised in California. He’s as American as anyone.

Now you’re saying that any players of color should leave because ALL of Europe doesn’t want them?? These subtle racist comments have no place on this website.

2. When Cameroonian goalkeeper Carlos Kameni was attacked by his OWN fans during a game calling him a monkey, why didn’t Espanyol management remove the fans while the game was going on? Everyone heard them call Kameni a monkey, so Edu should have not just gone to the club, he did the right thing by exposing it.

3. I realize you are being sarcastic, but just in case someone takes you literally, I think this comment is misleading. I have encountered racism in all around the county, though it manifests itself in different ways. I would not say that people in the South or SLC are more racist/prejudice than other people in the U.S. – there are idiots in every area of the country.

I do not know if it is true having never lived in Europe before, but from what I have heard, there are more intentional examples of racism in Europe than in the U.S. as prejudice in the U.S. is more subtle.

4. What do you call starting in the last few games for a premier club to win the scottish league? That’s not quality playing time? It’s certainly better than beating on the red bulls. Working your way onto a starting lineup is difficult and Edu accomplished this. be proud of him and what he’s made of himself.

5. Like we are not racist in America. Racism happens everywhere. I don’t support that the fans went after him even though he didn’t play that makes no sense.

6. DO NOT LEAVE EDU. Finally a US player gains respect from a champions league team and you want him to leave!! Stay Mo and work your way back and I can guarantee that he will take Clarks roster spot in a heartbeat.

7. Of course, it’s horrible that he was subject to that sort of abuse, but if he does want to play in the Champions League, maybe it’s good that he’s toughening up his skin now. (I’m saying this as an African American who lived in Europe for ages.) Like someone else mentioned, in Eastern Europe it’s at least 1000 times worse.

My initial reaction was… “not the best way to endear yourself with the fans,” but now I think, more power to you Edu. Let the world know you’re not going to be a doormat. There’s probably nothing in the contract about having to put up with idiocy.

On another note, I think the big difference between US and Europe is that in Europe the fans use soccer as an excuse to act like complete idiots.

Most ‘normal’ people who behave reasonably during matches just accept the fact that you need some of those idiots to fill stadiums and create atmosphere. That’s what makes soccer in the other countries seem so electrifying. The fans get completely caught up with the frenzy.

Another reason why I’m a Sankt Pauli fan. We suck, but we’re tolerant.

8. Really? A big part of the reason stupid stuff like that happens is because people put up with it. EPL games used to run rampant with hooliganism and you couldn’t bring your family to games. The EPL nowadays is proof that you can stop this sort of stuff, its just a matter of wanting to.
    This kind of stuff doesn’t happen as often in the US, not because we don’t have our fair share of racists, but because when it happens the majority condemns it.

9. Edu should leave immediately. There are plenty of oportunities for Africans in the US and Africa. It is clear that europe doesnt want africans there. I dont why anyone woould go there.

10. Sad to see it happen period. There is always going to be hate in the world, nothing we can do about that. But we can do something to curb racism in sports, by banning these people for life from attending any match at Ibrox.

You have to make a statement to everyone that you mean business.

I feel bad for Edu. He has become part of the beating heart of that team.

11. Try going a little further East…I went to a a few matches in Czech Republic about three years ago and was shocked at how out of control some fans were. I was also at a match for Real Madrid where bananas were thrown at both Roberto Carlos and (tranny) Ronaldo…I am going on what I have seen with my own eyes. Not to mention the Nazi swastica flags I saw at both a match in for Sparta in Prague, and a match in Amsterdam for Ajax…

12. It wasn’t a “stadium full of racists,” according to Edu it was “couple of r own fans” who approached him as he was getting in his car. Racism sucks, but so does lumping a entire group of fans with the actions of a few ignorant individuals.

13. Europe: Expect Racism (?)

Who cares he wrote about it on Twitter? He always told Rangers management and they released a statement on the team website today. Way to blame Edu for some fans’ racist comments.

14. the real question is why Edu put that stuff on twitter. If it really happened (very likely in racially homogeneous Scotland) then he should have brought it to team management and let them issue a press release. Causing controversy while on the bench really doesn’t speak well for his maturity or wisdom. While it is a horrific thing to happen, there are better ways of dealing with it.

I agree with earlier posts that these kinds of things are just common in Europe, especially Spain, though less frequent in England itself. A player going abroad just has to expect it and learn deal with it properly.

15. On recent evidence (including yesterday), I don’t know that Rangers can truly be considered a “great club”. More like a well-hyped club, or a club living off a more glorious past, as past that recedes further into the fog with each year.

16. Judging Europeans based on the behavior of a Ranger fans is like judging Americans based on a handful of radical bigamists at a gun show in the Utah desert.

17. That disgusts me. We all like to think that racism is confined to the occasional idiot you pass in the street, but to find a stadium full of racists is revolting. I hope UEFA and/or FIFA lay down heavy sanctions on the fans for this, as it certainly doesn’t align with their anti-racism stand (like we saw at the beginning of that Confederations Cup match).

18. MANY, MANY EUROPEANS ARE RACIST. Of course, we all acknowledge that there are racist fans here, too. Having said that, I think the difference is that the fans of soccer in this country (like the ones on this forum) would immmediately and strongly condemn racist comments – not defend, play down or outright deny there is a problem.

19. Doesn’t matter what country in Europe he plays in he will have to deal with this abuse from time to time. Remember Gooch sued a guy last season over racial taunts during a match. Rangers seem to value him so he should stay with that club. I think he will play again once he is healthy.

20. There are racists everywhere, but that’s ridiculous. Why would someone want to play for a club where some so-called fans abuse you based on the color of your skin? That’s horrible, I hope the Rangers so-called fans get arrested and prosecuted. Maybe Edu should leave for some other place, get out of the Old Firm fishbowl.

21. Oh and as club I tend to like Rangers. Edu is the third Nat they have given a chance. Despite the futility of it I cheer for them in the Chamions League. My Moms family is from Scotland and I would love to go someday.

22. Seems this happens to a lot of US players that go to Europe. I know i have read stories about Onyewu, Beasley and now Edu saying the same thing, though it is usually the opposing teams fans. It is sad. I was always under the impression this was much less of an issue in Europe but it seems I hear about it more from there than players here.

23. sorry, but as an american living in germany, you want to tell me europeans are not as civilized as moste are led to believe?? sorry, but that’s bs!

24. Well, if he were healthy he’d be playing in the Champions League (the UEFA kind, not the CONCACAF kind), so I think him leaving TFC for Rangers was pretty much the better choice.

25. wouldnt expect anything less from Rangers fans. Scum. Edu should get out of there, 4 games a year are quality the rest is the equivalent of League One in England. Scotland’s allure is from the late 80s and 90s when English teams were banned from Europe and top English players went North. Now there is no reason to play there

26. he should have stayed at TFC for another 2 years, at this stage in his career regular playing time in meaningful games is what he needs.

27. He knew what he was getting himself into when he decided to go there. That is Europe. If you want to play over there as an American or as an American of color, that is the price you pay…Europeans are not as civilized as most are led to believe.

28. Racism is turrrble just turrrble. But no matter where he goes in Europe, he’s going to face racism. Rangers fans are a bunch of knuckleheads.

29. Check out the only comment in the Daily Mail comment section:

“Even these pitiful lies from Edu will not distract from the fact that rangers were well and truly pumped by a team that they thought they were going to walk over.”

30. SPL not a good league for US players by any means. You’re looking to get verbally abused as well as physically.

Beasley……..worst decision ever.

Would like to see Edu dip on outa there

31. Yeah, echoing what people are saying here: England, Scotland, and Wales have pockets of explicit and very public racism that you just do not see (well, that I have not seen…) at American athletic competitions in this day and age. All of them are lovely countries with some lovely people, but it’s just mind-boggling what you’ll hear from soccer fans; stuff that would get you thrown in jail in the US.

(There is even a political party in England — the BNP — that, in its charter, pretty much claims that its members can only be white people of European descent. Ludicrous stuff.)

32. I never thought he should have went to Scotland, and the kick that screwed up his knee unfortunately confirmed my suspicion that he’d get injured. Rangers and Celtic are great clubs, just not for young nats that need to stay healthy and playing often to keep improving. He probably went for the check, and the chance to play in Europe, and he could’ve been playing in the Champions league if he wasn’t hurt, but I wonder what he thinks now. The racism is just so pathetic. Hopefully MLS improves to the point where players can get paid in MLS and not have to put up with this crap.

33. Can’t understand a group of fans that would do something like this to their own player. Throwing insults at someone for playing bad on the field or saying something against the club or supporters is one thing but to attack a guy just for his race when he is wearing your teams kit is just beyond confusing to me.

Also, why is it that everytime I turn around and take a look at US players playing for Rangers they are injured? It seems to be the only time they make news…

34. This is completely disgusting and not a representation of Rangers fans at all. These idiots were just thugs in Rangers jerseys feeling sorry for themselves after we were thrashed by a Romanian Minnow. No real fan would do such a thing. Edu played extremely well for Rangers at the end of the season. I hope he stays as do all Rangers true fans. Our fan forums are filled with support for Mo this morning and lashing out at these drunken losers. I hope they are caught and charged. Please stay Mo!

35. Just saw it on twitter. Horrible! Euro countries are known for this, so it shouldn’t be a surprise anymore for our boys when they go overseas. Like I always say, there’s trash in every corner of world, you just have to move on, and always know that not everyone is trashy to say such things.

Here is some good Chuck D tribute.

http://tiny.cc/LwZNT Good stuff!