As the MLS season winds towards the end, the excitement continues to build in Philadelphia. On November 25, the Union will continue to take shape as the expansion draft takes place. The first players in Philadelphia Union history will come off the books of ten other clubs.
MLS released the specific rules that the other MLS clubs must follow when they make players available for Peter Nowak and his staff to select. Here's a look at some of the basics:
- Teams get to protect 11 players, both senior and developmental
- Generation adidas players do not need to be protected
- Designated players only need to be protected if they have a no trade clause
- Teams can only lose one player — after a team has a player selected, they are out
- The expansion draft will last ten rounds
For the 15 other teams in MLS, a November 23, 3pm deadline is in place for the list of players they wish to protect. Five teams will emerge from the draft unaffected due to the ten-round limit.
Who do you think your team will protect? What players will Philadelphia end up with?
Share your thoughts below.