UEFA Champions League: Lyon adds to Liverpool woes, Sevilla clinches knockout spot

Lyon-Liverpool (Getty)
Liverpool was so close to victory yesterday in Lyon. After shutting out Les Gones for 83 minutes, a Ryan Babel wonder goal broke the deadlock, handing Rafa and the Reds a lifeline in Group E. A win against the French powerhouse would throw them back in the thick of things. But it was not to be, as Lisandro Lopez capitalized on some poor Liverpool defending to snatch a 1-1 draw that sealed Lyon's passage to the knockout stage.

Joining Lyon in qualification was Sevilla, who drew 1-1 against Vfb Stuttgart in Spain. That result, combined with the 1-1 draw between Rangers and Unirea Urziceni in Romania was enough for the La Liga side to claim their spot from Group G. It was a positive response for Rangers, after falling 4-1 at home to the Romanians on the previous matchday.

Arsenal wasn't as fortunate to secure a second round spot, but are all but there after cruising 4-1 against AZ Alkmaar. They were denied by Standard Liege's 2-0 win over Olympiakos in Belgium. Making Liverpool's bid to qualify for the knockout stages even more difficult was Fiorentina's 5-2 win against Debrecen. Barcelona's Champions League future is far from assured after they could only must a point against Rubin Kazan in a 0-0 draw. That, combined with Inter's 2-1 win over Dynamo Kiev leaves Barcelona tied for second with Rubin in Group F.

What did you think of yesterday's Champions League action? Are Barcelona or Liverpool in dire straights? Which game did you watch yesterday?

Comments

1. Did anyone put a bet on the Lyon game? If so then check this out http://tinyurl.com/yhd89fl – it’s from the Right2Bet petition and it shows you how much money you could have lost (even if you won your bet) because of the messed up EU gambling rules. I had money on a 1-0 LFC win so I had torn emotions when the equaliser went in, lol.

2. The Champions League tie-breaker is still head to head, yes? That would mean Rubin has secured the tie-breaker over Barcelona.

3. I love watchin Barca play too, but Chelsea diiiid play horrible futbol, it was actually nasty, but other than that i hvnt really heard Barca blaming the opposing team for their losses, maybe i missed sumthing

4. @DavidAub: So what, in the road game against top opposition, in the semifinals of the Champions League, there is only the result. This fascination with pretty is why Arsenal has no silverware for a 1/2 decade.

I don’t root against Barca but they are rather whiny sometimes. At the moment, they are looking just a bit fragile too.

5. Certainly, I’m not saying Chelsea didn’t play like that, they definitely did, but I feel like Barca kind of sounded like babies complaining about it. Instead of whining you do something about it like score. At least that’s what I would have done if I was on Barca. If only…

6. you half to admit chelsea were complete douchers last year. They really had no intention of scoring, there entire goal was to not get scored on. As a soccer player and viewer I can honestly say it makes me sick to play for or against a team with that mentality or to even watch it.

7. It would be pretty remarkable if Barca didn’t make it out their group, but I just can’t imagine it. It’s hard to dislike them, but I feel like sometimes when they don’t win or score they are sore losers and blame the other teams for not playing real football (for examples, the first game of the Chelsea semi-final last year), so that would be enjoyable to hear their excuses. Regardless, I couldn’t be happier about Liverpool failing…

8. Liverpool need to win their last two games AND need Lyon to get a result against Fiorentina. It does not look good. Even if they do pull it off, it is tough to see them getting very far in the knockout stages.

Part of me is chuckling at the prospect, but I do have quite a few friends who are ‘Pool fans…which makes me chuckle even more.

And as roysterer pointed out, how great would that be for French football to have both teams progress, one of which at the expense of one of the top English clubs? Michel Platini will be pissing himself with delight.

9. It really does look like Liverpool’s out of it, which is pretty just considering their performances so far. And, I can’t say I’m not thrilled.

But how about Lyon and Bordeaux each leading their groups? That didn’t seem so likely.

10. Just remember Rafa: when you clean out your desk and carry that box of personal belongings to the parking lot, “you’ll never walk alone.”

Nope. Armed security will be escorting you off the premises.