By FRANCO PANIZO
Landon Donovan's much-anticipated English Premier League debut came with less than a week's worth of training, and even though he was unfamiliar with his new teammates and the English style of play, he did not disappoint.
Donovan made his presence felt 13 minutes into Everton's match vs. Arsenal, sending in a corner kick that midfielder Leon Osman headed home to give the visitors a 1-0 lead. Donovan, who was deployed as a right midfielder in the 2-2 draw, was more than just a threat on set pieces, as he continuously terrorized left back Armand Traore before being subbed out in the 69th minute with cramps.
Everton manager David Moyes was disappointed to take off the U.S. national team midfielder, but Moyes was delighted with Donovan's debut.
Donovan wasn't the only player to enjoy a strong performance this weekend. Jon-Paul Pittman netted his fifth league goal of the season, scoring the equalizer in a 90-minute performance against Leeds United.
Here is how the Americans Abroad did this weekend:
- Tim Howard started and played 90 minutes in Everton's 2-2 draw vs. Arsenal on Saturday.
- Landon Donovan started, played 69 minutes and had an ASSIST in Everton's 2-2 draw vs. Arsenal on Saturday.
- Jozy Altidore and Hull City's match vs. Chelsea on Satuday was postponed.
- Clint Dempsey and Fulham's match vs. Portsmouth on Saturday was postponed.
- Jonathan Spector and West Ham's match vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers on Sunday was postponed.
- Brad Friedel and Aston Villa's match vs. Wigan Athletic on Saturday was postponed.
Brad Guzan and Aston Villa's match vs. Wigan Athletic on Saturday was postponed.
Marcus Hahnemann and Wolverhampton Wanderers' match vs. West Ham on Sunday was postponed.
- Zak Whitbread did not dress in Norwich City's 3-1 win vs. Exeter City on Saturday.
- Ian Joyce and Southend United's match vs. Walsall on Saturday was postponed.
- Mike Grella came off the bench and played 6 minutes in Leeds United's 1-1 draw vs. Wycombe Wanderers on Saturday.
- Jemal Johnson and Milton Keynes Dons' match vs. Swindon Town on Saturday was postponed.
- Jon-Paul Pittman started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL in Wycombe Wanderers' 1-1 draw vs. Leeds United on Saturday.
- Maurice Edu dressed but did not play in Rangers' 3-3 draw vs. Hamilton Academical in the fourth round of the Scottish Cup on Sunday.
- DaMarcus Beasley did not dress in Rangers' 3-3 draw vs. Hamilton Academical in the fourth round of the Scottish Cup on Sunday. He is recovering from a thigh injury.
- Oguchi Onyewu did not dress in AC Milan's match vs. Juventus on Sunday.
- Carlos Bocanegra dressed but did not play in Rennes' 2-0 win vs. Caen in the ninth round of the Coupe de France on Saturday.
- Kamani Hill did not dress in Vitoria de Guimaraes' 1-0 win vs. Maritimo on Saturday.
- Eddie Johnson did not dress Aris Salonika's 4-2 win vs. Iraklis on Sunday. He is not yet available to play for the club.
- Freddy Adu did not dress in Aris Salonika's 4-2 win vs. Iraklis on Sunday. He is not yet available to play for the club.
What do you think of these performances? Impressed by Donovan's debut? Excited for the remaining weeks of his loan? Think Jon-Paul Pittman should get a call-up to the national team? How concerned are you by Bocanegra's benching?
Share your thoughts below.