By FRANCO PANIZO
Maurice Edu had to wait a month in between appearances for Rangers after an ankle injury kept him out of action, but that didn't stop Edu from helping the Scottish giants continue towards their ultimate goal of a domestic treble on Wednesday.
In a replay against St Mirren in the fifth round of the Scottish Cup, Edu started for just the second time this season, and he helped Rangers preserve a cleansheet with some timely tackles and good possession play. Edu did have moments in the 1-0 victory where he would drift out of the game, but that might be expected of a player just returning from injury.
Freddy Adu also enjoyed success in his club's domestic cup match, as he made a second consecutive start and scored a goal in Aris Salonika's 3-0 Greek Cup quarterfinals win over Skoda Xanthi. The goal was Adu's second in as many games.
Herculez Gomez also netted his second goal of the season during the midweek, scoring the lone goal in Puebla's win against San Luis with just three minutes left in regulation.
Here is how the Americans Abroad fared on Tuesday and Wednesday:
- Landon Donovan started and played 90 minutes in Everton's 2-1 win vs. Sporting Lisbon in the third round on Tuesday.
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made six saves in Everton's 2-1 win vs. Sporting Lisbon in the third round on Tuesday.
- Stuart Holden did not dress in Bolton Wanderers' 0-0 draw vs. Wigan Athletic on Wednesday.
COCA COLA CHAMPIONSHIP
- Jay DeMerit and Watford's match vs. Queens Park Rangers on Tuesday was postponed.
- Frank Simek started and played 90 minutes in Sheffield Wednesday's 2-0 loss vs. Doncaster Rovers on Tuesday.
- Kenny Cooper came off the bench and played 29 minutes in Plymouth Argyle's 1-1 draw vs. Swansea City on Tuesday.
- Mike Grella came off the bench and played 30 minutes in Leeds United's 2-1 loss vs. Walsall on Tuesday.
- Maurice Edu started and played 90 minutes in Rangers' 1-0 win vs. St Mirren in the fifth round of the Scottish Cup on Wednesday.
- DaMarcus Beasley did not dress in Rangers' 1-0 win vs. St Mirren in the fifth round of the Scottish Cup on Wednesday. He started, played 70 minutes and scored a GOAL in Rangers reserve team's 2-1 win vs. Kilmarnock's reserve team on Tuesday.
- Oguchi Onyewu did not dress in AC Milan's 3-2 loss vs. Manchester United in the first leg of the round of 16 on Tuesday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Freddy Adu started, played 65 minutes and scored a GOAL in Aris Salonika's 3-0 win vs. Skoda Xanthi in the Greek Cup quarterfinals on Wednesday.
- Eddie Johnson came off the bench and played 14 minutes in Aris Salonika's 3-0 win vs. Skoda Xanthi in the Greek Cup quarterfinals on Wednesday..
- Jose Francisco Torres started and played 76 minutes in Pachuca's 1-0 loss vs. Guadalajara on Wednesday.
- Marco Vidal started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Indios de Ciudad Juarez's 7-1 loss vs. Atlas on Wednesday.
- Herculez Gomez came off the bench, played 27 minutes and scored a GOAL in Puebla's 1-0 win vs. San Luis on Wednesday.
What do you think of these performances? Is Edu ready to permanently return to Rangers' lineup? What do you think of Adu's goal? Impressed by Gomez's finish?
Share your thoughts below.