D.C. United acquires Cristman from Kansas City

Adam Cristman (ISIphotos.com)

Photo by ISIphotos.com

By AVI CREDITOR

Curt Onalfo isn't the only person making the move from Kansas City to the nation's capital.

D.C. United acquired striker Adam Cristman from the Kansas City Wizards Wednesday afternoon in exchange for an international roster spot through Dec. 31, 2011.

Cristman, 25, is coming off an injury-plagued season but provides depth up front for D.C.

The University of Virginia product and former finalist for MLS Rookie of the Year only played in five games last year, but scored six goals in 18 games for New England in 2008.

Cristman becomes the second forward to join United this offseason. The team also added Australian striker Danny Allsopp.

————

Do you like the trade for either team? Think Cristman will be able to earn playing time for a team that already has Jaime Moreno, Chris Pontius and Allsopp up front?

Comments

1. Sorry, but I don’t see Jaime Moreno lasting more than 15 minutes as an attacking mid in a 4-4-2. Wait maybe all signs point to Jaime as the A-mid Super Sub instead.

2. leagues are pretty much equal…. All I was saying is that he has tremendous potential and at one time looked like he would be a future Aaron Lennon type player

3. So pretty much Curt is saying that Pontius isn’t a striker? Even though that’s where he seemed to do better at last year. Guess Curt plans on him being a midfielder.

(SBI-I would put just as much money on Jaime Moreno seeing more time in a playmaking role as Pontius seeing time in midfield. Moreno’s getting up there and has the touch and vision to be a pretty good attacking midfielder.)

4. DC had 9 slots this year (picked one up from Colorado last year that should still be with the team), and I have to imagine that a couple of players (Kocic, James, Jakovic) are close to getting a green card. That could explain a lot about why this move was made.

As for Cristman, he’s depth. He did well with NE, was injured for KC, so I have no idea how much he may or may not help DC. At the very least, I imagine he’s about as good as it gets for a 4th forward option.

5. well I’m not excited about this move, but I am happy to see more depth up top. Now can we please address our defense??? Namoff will be lucky to play this year, and McTavish is not a good back up.

6. Becks, Berhalter, Kirovski, Klein, Dema, Lewis, and now Mathis are all on the wrong side of 30 and most of that bunch is injury prone. Then you throw in Eskandarian and Franklin who usually suffer a few knocks a season (Eskandarian might not even come back because of his head injury) and I think you have a very delicate side. LA was extremely lucky last year that Berhalter stayed upright or they would have been in real trouble.

7. they could be looking to throw Moreno in at attacking mid, i personally would like to see one signed but i think they are adding another striker to make that move for Moreno

thats what everything points to at the moment

8. KC will most likely use that international spot to sign Enlgish trialist Ryan Smith who would be a good addition……he is a former arsenal youth and has played in the championship for years

he is 23 and is only on an upward track from here

9. well considering that clint mathis did a pretty good job against us in the finals and he stated that he wanted to retire in la…or that he has birchall and dema in front of hom. plus we have three sao paolo trialist.i think we are on the right track thanks to bruce..

10. It continues to baffle me how people get upset when someone on a soccer blog mentions a soccer score. When I’m trying to avoid a score, I stay clear of soccer-specific sites like Ives’, ESPNsoccernet and my mobile score updates. The onus is on you, not people enjoying a blog dedicated to discussing soccer.

11. cmon man cristman? dc can do much better than that. They could have used that international roster and actually found someone out there in cenral america that can produce and take mls money instead of overpaying for perkins

12. Euroman, have you seen DCU play? They are loaded with skillful players and last season were second in MLS in scoring. And their recent signings, Perkins, Alsopp and Castillo all played for their respective national teams. By the way, Christian Castillo has really good skills. DCU website has a video of him visiting one of local schools and showcasing his skills to the kids. Or you can check out two goals that he scored last year for Salvador against the United States.

13. Yeah, the Gals never do that. When they traded to get Clint Mathis I thought it was pure genius…they really needed more veterans.

14. Gives us depth and at 25 he still has more to offer. Still missing a huge chunk of creativity in the midfield to provide these strikers with opportunities.. DP?!

15. Hey Fischy, between 8 and 10 – depending how Wicks and Wallace are classified

You know, looking at the line-up it has great potential this year…I keep forgetting Flo and Boyz (I guess 2 Boyzz as well) Barklage and Shipilane….its really starting to look like there is some depth, and some pretty good up and comers – hmmm feeling pretty good at the thought :))

Vamos United

16. They needed striker depth and KC needed an international slot for their trialists.

How did they shoot themselves in the foot?

17. Nice pick up. DCU needed depth at striker. He will be behind Pontius, Alsopp and Moreno, but he is a nice insurance if a starter gets injured. Plus Moreno, while still a difference maker, is no longer a 90 minute a game player.

18. I am shocked…KC fans are bitter because a player who performed well in NE didn’t perform well when playing for the Wizards.

Congrats on the new logo.

19. Yeah — I’m wondering how many of our foreign-born contingent count as internationals, but I’m pretty sure DC has more than 7 in camp.

20. Uh! who? I don’t know this guy

That said I trust the guys at DCU to hunt out a diamond in the rough, and evidently Curt knows him and feels its a good move. So (provisional) yes to the move. Two caveats…why give up an Int’l spot and I would have hoped for more depth in defense rather than offense

As to the chance of Christman playing, maybe, we need to see how Curt wants to use the folks he has…carrying 4 forwards is ok though…the MF has pretty good depth. Just the defense that needs help now.

21. I liked what I saw of Cristman, trouble is we didn’t see it very often in K.C. Seems like a gamble for D.C. and a good move for K.C. as BlacknBlue points out. Opening Day gets more interesting!

22. avi, how about an updated logo? amateur.

(SBI – What, you didn’t get the memo that today is throwback today? Sorry bout that one guys. Should be all set now.)