By TRAVIS CLARK
With most teams in the south and training camps all underway, early friendlies are already taking place. Down in Florida, Preki got to see his new club in game action, as Toronto drew 1-1 against the University of Central Florida men's soccer team.
Toronto was missing a number of first team players, with Dwayne De Rosario, Julian de Guzman and Chad Barrett all out. Trialist Dan Gargan scored Toronto's lone goal with just ten minutes left in the game after Toronto went down 1-0 on a penalty kick.
Out west, the Seattle Sounders wrapped up their time in Arizona with a 3-2 come-from-behind win over the Vancouver Whitecaps. Sanna Nyassi scored a brace, including the game winner, with Lamar Neagle adding Seattle's other goal.
The club is headed home for a weekend off, before flying out to La Manga, Spain to participate in the La Manga Cup. The competition kicks off on February 18, when the Sounders take on Rosenborg BK.
Here are a few more notes from around MLS training camps:
- Two MLS clubs scrimmaged on Wednesday, as Kansas City knocked off San Jose 3-0 out in Arizona. Striker Kei Kamara scored all three goals for the Wizards, in a match that was divided into four 30 minute quarters. The two teams will square off again on Saturday.
- The Philadelphia Union, who are training down in North Carolina, are preparing for another first: an exhibition match against the University of North Carolina. The team is planning to head to Mexico after wrapping things up in NC.
- A snowstorm in Dallas has forced training to be put on hold at Pizza Hut Park. FC Dallas is scheduled scrimmage with Tulsa University on Saturday — no word on whether or not it will happen.
- The Colorado Rapids signed a pair of defenders on Thursday. Irish left back/left winger Danny Earles and Colombian defender Oscar Murillo are set to join the Rapids and should contend for starting roles.
- D.C. United managed to escape Washington right before a second snowstorm dumped another foot of snow on the ground. The team is scheduled to hold training camp in Bradenton, FL until February 26.
What do you think of the friendly results? Union fans excited for the first game? Can't wait for the season to start?
Share your thoughts below.