By FRANCO PANIZO
Since recovering from injury, both DaMarcus Beasley and Maurice Edu have yet to solidify starting roles for Rangers, but they became the first Americans Abroad players to bring home hardware this season, as Rangers defeated St. Mirren in the final of the Scottish League Cup.
Rangers overcame having two of its players sent off, and raised its record twenty-sixth Scottish League Cup with a 1-0 win on Sunday. Edu contributed to Rangers' victory by coming off the bench at halftime and playing the final 45 minutes. Beasley was an unused substitute in the match, but the win will give him more silverware to add to his collection of bling.
Eddie Johnson found the back of the net for the second time this season as he netted in Aris Salonika's 1-1 draw vs. Panionios. Johnson, who played all 90 minutes of the match, opened the scoring with a one-time shot to the near post. The goal was his first since Jan. 31.
It wasn't all positive this weekend. Jay DeMerit and Jozy Altidore both missed games with relegation implications due to injury, while Ricardo Clark once again failed to make his debut for Eintracht Frankfurt in its surprising triumph over league-leading Bayern Munich.
Here is how the Americans Abroad did this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made three saves in Everton's 2-0 win vs. Bolton Wanderers on Saturday.
- Jozy Altidore did not dress in Hull City 's 3-2 loss vs. Portsmouth on Saturday. He was out with an injury.
- Clint Dempsey came off the bench and played 38 minutes Fulham's 2-1 loss vs. Manchester City on Sunday.
- Jonathan Spector started and played 90 minutes in West Ham's 2-0 loss vs. Arsenal on Saturday.
- Brad Friedel started, played 90 minutes and made two saves in Aston Villa's 2-2 draw vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday.
Brad Guzan dressed but did not play in Aston Villa's 2-2 draw vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday.
Marcus Hahnemann started, played 90 minutes and made one save in Wolverhampton Wanderers' 2-2 draw vs. Aston Villa on Saturday.
Stuart Holden did not dress in Bolton Wanderers' 2-0 loss vs. Everton on Saturday. He is recovering from a leg injury.
COCA COLA CHAMPIONSHIP
- Jay DeMerit did not dress in Watford's 3-1 loss vs. Cardiff City on Sunday. He was out with a back injury.
- Frank Simek dressed but did not play in Sheffield Wednesday's 0-0 draw vs. Derby County on Saturday.
- Kenny Cooper did not dress in Plymouth Argyle's 2-1 loss vs. Scunthorpe United on Saturday.
- Zak Whitbread did not dress in Norwich City's 1-1 draw vs. Swindon Town on Saturday.
- Mike Grella and Leeds United play Millwall on Monday.
- Jemal Johnson did not dress in Stockport County's 1-0 loss vs. Brentford on Saturday.
- Jon-Paul Pittman came off the bench and played 7 minutes in Wycombe Wanderers' 2-2 draw vs. Exeter City on Saturday.
- Maurice Edu came off the bench and played 45 minutes in Rangers' 1-0 win vs. St Mirren in the final of the Scottish CIS Insurance Cup on Sunday.
- DaMarcus Beasley dressed but did not play in Rangers' 1-0 win vs. St Mirren in the final of the Scottish CIS Insurance Cup on Sunday.
- Dominic Cervi did not dress in Celtic's 3-0 win vs. St Johnstone on Saturday.
- Oguchi Onyewu did not dress in AC Milan's 1-1 draw vs. Napoli on Sunday.
- Michael Bradley started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Borussia Moenchengladbach's 1-1 draw vs. FC Cologne on Friday.
- Steve Cherundolo came off the bench, played 45 minutes and received a yellow card in Hannover 96's 2-0 loss vs. VfB Stuttgart on Saturday.
- Sal Zizzo did not dress in Hannover 96's 2-0 loss vs. VfB Stuttgart on Saturday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Jermaine Jones did not dress in Schalke 04's 2-2 draw vs. Hamburg SV on Sunday. He is recovering from a leg injury.
- Ricardo Clark dressed but did not play in Eintracht Frankfurt's 2-1 win vs. Bayern Munich on Saturday.
- Daniel Williams did not dress in SC Freiburg's 1-0 win vs. Mainz 05 on Saturday.
- Jared Jeffrey dressed but did not play in Mainz 05's 1-0 loss vs. SC Freiburg on Saturday.
- Luis Robles and Kaiserslautern play Fortuna Dusseldorf on Monday.
- Matt Taylor did not dress in FSV Frankfurt's 2-1 loss vs. TSV 1860 Munich on Sunday.
- David Yeldell started, played 90 minutes and made four saves in TUS Koblenz's 2-0 win vs. SpVgg Greuther Furth on Friday.
- Carlos Bocanegra started and played 90 minutes in Stade Rennes' 4-1 win vs. Toulouse on Saturday.
- Charlie Davies did not dress in Sochaux's 0-0 draw vs. Lens on Saturday.
- Gale Agbossoumonde and Sporting Braga did not play this weekend.
- Freddy Adu dressed but did not play in Aris Salonika's 1-1 draw vs. Panionios on Sunday.
- Eddie Johnson started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL in Aris Salonika's 1-1 draw vs. Panionios on Sunday.
- Benny Feilhaber did not dress in AGF Aarhus' 2-0 loss vs. Odense BK on Sunday. He is recovering from a ankle injury.
- Michael Parkhurst dressed but did not play in FC Nordsjaelland's 1-0 win vs. Esbjerg on Sunday.
- Marcus Tracy did not dress in Aalborg BK's 3-0 win vs. Koge on Sunday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Chris Rolfe did not dress in Aalborg BK's 3-0 win vs. Koge on Sunday.
- Alejandro Bedoya and Orebro BK play Malmo FF on Tuesday.
- Clarence Goodson and IK Start play Rosenborg on Monday.
- Hunter Freeman and IK Start play Rosenborg on Monday.
- Mikkel Diskerud started and played 90 minutes in Stabaek's 1-1 draw vs. Valerenga on Saturday.
- Jose Francisco Torres and Pachuca play America on Sunday evening.
- Edgar Castillo started and played 90 minutes in Tigres UANL's 4-0 loss vs. Cruz Azul on Saturday.
- Marco Vidal started and played 90 minutes in Indios de Ciudad Juarez's 1-0 win vs. Queretaro on Sunday.
- Herculez Gomez and Puebla play Santons on Sunday evening.
- Michael Hoyos did not dress in Estudiantes La Plata's 3-1 win vs. Atletico Tucuman on Friday.
What do you think of these performances? How many more trophies do you see Beasley and Edu collecting this season? Impressed by Johnson's strike? Starting to worry about Clark's situation?
Share your thoughts below.