Holden to miss six weeks with broken leg

Stuart Holden (ISIphotos.com)

The tackle was an ugly one, but we have now learned the full damage caused by Nigel DeJong's ugly and clumsy first-half challenge on U.S. national team midfielder Stuart Holden.

Holden will be sidelined for six weeks with a fractured right fibula, Holden's club Bolton revealed on Thursday.

The six-week timetable means Holden should still be back in time for the end of Bolton's regular season, which would have him return in time to regain fitness ahead of the 2010 World Cup.

Holden had just begun to settle in with Bolton, starting the team's previous two matches and impressing on this matches. Now he will need to recover and regain the role he earned since joining the English club on a free transfer from the Houston Dynamo.

On the bright side, Bolton manager Owen Coyle revealed that Bolton intends to extend Holden's contract.

"We've already spoken with him and his representative to assure him he will be here for longer because of the belief I have in him, and the quality he has shown since he came to the club," Coyle told Sky Sports. "When we signed him, within the contract there was the option there to extend it further, which we will do."

What do you think of this development? Still stunned that DeJong didn't get a red card? Confident that Holden can return and still be a fofce at the World Cup?

Comments

1. I hope and I’m sure FIFA will be reviewing this incident and fine and suspend De Jong for his clumsy, disgusting challenge.

2. oh gottca,

I kinda agree with u, but more from thr point its not just us that the FIFA mafia doesnt want to succed 🙂

While FIFAs corruption might not effect the calls on the pitch, you can deny its a complete joke that an organization that has been run/bought the way it has to promote things like “FIFA Fair Pay”

3. I too was waiting for something unpredictable to happen when he mentioned that and then there was silence and JP (i think it was him) changed the topic. LOL!

4. Article on BBC says he’ll still have his option picked up, per Coyle.

De Jong also interviewed, said he had no intent. I can believe that, but he’s still an absolute turd for making a challenge like that in a ‘friendly’. Bad karma better come his way pre-June.

5. No Im not joking at all. Holden is a good solid player but we lack players with any kind creativity. When Beasley is feeling good about himself he takes players on and has the speed and experience to make things happen. Holden is a very good player but for our team to have a chance to do anything special we would need Beasley in the lineup performing like he is capable. Im sure you would disagree with my vote for Benny in the midfield with Bradley for the same reasons.

6. If Bradley is smart, he will use this to rally the team….

How is it that a late, over the ball, studs up challenge that breaks a leg doesn’t even get carded?

How is it that the ref accords the Dutch so much respect and the US so little?

The US is still being dissed by the international soccer community. It’s time to show some fight… and show some folks up….

7. I want to hear Bob or Sunil or someone stand up in the press and call out De Jong’s shite tackle, or pursue punative actions with FIFA. Rash tackle causing broken leg in friendly = unacceptable. Shine a light on this to put refs on alert for future matches. Some justice needed. If FIFA won’t do it Jay D or Mikey B should the next time we meet the FUtch.

8. I feel bad for holden.

But to be completely honest with you guys;That was not a straight red card. It was definitely late and definitely dangerous, in addition to that, it wasnt from behind and dejong was attempting to play the ball. Studs up came after the initial hit with holden.

No disrespect to what you guys do in your line of work and on your respective fields but a straight Red? I dont think soo.

9. I turned down referee assignments so I could stay home Saturday morning and start my day watching Holden on FSC. I have only seen him at Bolton via crappy internet feeds. Bolton is not a very good team so at least I don’t have to watch them now lol, but I was looking forward to seeing Stu. I hope the avoid regulation, they have a tough row to hoe.

10. Holden would still have a broken leg if a red card was given and the USMNT would not have got the run out that they needed. Red card would have been counter productive to the USMNT.

11. You misunderstand. I didn’t address the tackle at all, but rather the reaction from fellow readers. I was merely pointing out that when refereeing errors or federation rulings are made against other countries, their soccer blogs are also filled with exaggerated claims of victimization and paranoia involving institutional bias. Every country/team gets hosed at some point; it gets a little tired to moan about it constantly is all I’m getting at.

12. Biggest loser with the injury is Bolton. They lost one of there best players during the most important part of the season in a relegation battle.

13. I don’t mean to wish ill will to any player but why couldn’t de Jong have taken out Bornstein instead? Why did it have to be one of our good players? He only got back from a thigh injury last week! I hope it isn’t too much of a break in the fibula (fingers and legs crossed that it’s just a hairline) and that he’s back before six weeks.

14. Wrong, no one attacked the ball and it gave the Dutch player time to get off a solid shot. Bornstein was standing there in no-man’s land. He created his bad luck.

15. Andolini, I completely agree with you that the foul deserved straight red. Perhaps the ref did not want to give the red card because it was a friendly game. I think that both teams would have preferred to play 11 vs 11, because it is better for their WC preparations. US-Honduras game became almost a complete waste for evaluating US players, particularly strikers, after Mexican ref gave the US a red card early in the game. The game against the Dutch overall was not particularly rough, although I saw Huntelaar go with his studs up on one occassion in the second half.

16. more people have died from the flu than all of the other diseases you mentioned put together x10. Possibly in just one year.

There is no cure, and no good treatments.

17. Hollanders, your thuggish defender De Jong broke the leg of one our up and coming midfielders and your supporters had the gaul to whistle. Your star player Sneijder took a dive when his shirt sleeve was grabbed and you don’t call him out for acting/drama? We may not have gained your respect for our football, but you have lost ours.

This is not to say you didn’t outplay us (insert Bornstein critique here), but you were not so much better that you deserved the favorable treatment you got from the official.

18. It was heartbreaking to see him on the sidelines crying and his head in his hands (it reminded me of the WC 2006 England vs Portugal game when Becks got injured and was in that same position). What are Holden’s chances of making the WC this year?

19. of the players yesterday, I can only defend M. Bradley, Edu, DeMerit and Donovan (well and Holden if he had two legs) as WC starters; all others I would have a hard time… I guess you can say Jozy, but thats more of a default because we have none.

I guess at least we can see we are looking good at CM with Bradley, Edu and Torres; if Jones comes into the mix we are extremely solid compared to every other spot

20. I agree…was JUST saying to myself before I read your post that I was NOT going to follow the Dutch in WC action. Yawn.

21. I would bet if that tackle went the other way, Holden would have recieved a Red card. That is just they way the USA’s luck goes.

22. yea i dont know what there is to like about them. between that tackle, their diving team, and complaints about Holden not just getting up and playing through a freaking leg break; i just dont know what there is to root for…. Im rooting for Brazil and the South American teams FTW, and African teams to upset Euros, cuz you know they would hate that…. Do they like the Dutch in SA? 🙂

23. We aren’t going to be a “3 and out” team. Our fate in the group stage isn’t going to be decided by England (similar talent to the Dutch). It will be decided by our ability to hang with Slovenia and Algeria.

I am expecting 4 points with a goal differential of +1. That should get us out of group stage.

24. Seems like he’s trying not to get injured…maybe he’s thinking about that L.A. sun and forgetting about the task at hand?

25. Have you ever had the flu? Not the “I don’t feel like going to work” flu, but the ACTUAL flu.

I got it last year. I was immobile for 4 days, VERY weak for the next 5-7 days, coughing incessantly for 2 more weeks after that, and took about 4-6 weeks before I recovered full lung capacity.

And my soccer league doesn’t require that I chase Arjen Robben around.

The flu ain’t nothing to f with.

26. I’ve seen Boca make some bone-headed plays on the left flank before, i’m not sold on him out there either, although he does give us solid free kick header-goal chances…

27. Well, in all fairness about the U.S. defensive performance, the Dutch 2nd goal was a complete fluke. Yes, the shot was produced by nice passing, but it deflected in the goal. There was nothing Bornstein or Howard could have done. That’s just the way soccer goes sometimes…you can get unlucky.

28. That Ref was a joke ! Another gift wrapped victory to a Euro team that up to this point has been living on there past success. Refs need to watch games from around the world before they get these assignments.