Holden to miss six weeks with broken leg

Stuart Holden (ISIphotos.com)

The tackle was an ugly one, but we have now learned the full damage caused by Nigel DeJong's ugly and clumsy first-half challenge on U.S. national team midfielder Stuart Holden.

Holden will be sidelined for six weeks with a fractured right fibula, Holden's club Bolton revealed on Thursday.

The six-week timetable means Holden should still be back in time for the end of Bolton's regular season, which would have him return in time to regain fitness ahead of the 2010 World Cup.

Holden had just begun to settle in with Bolton, starting the team's previous two matches and impressing on this matches. Now he will need to recover and regain the role he earned since joining the English club on a free transfer from the Houston Dynamo.

On the bright side, Bolton manager Owen Coyle revealed that Bolton intends to extend Holden's contract.

"We've already spoken with him and his representative to assure him he will be here for longer because of the belief I have in him, and the quality he has shown since he came to the club," Coyle told Sky Sports. "When we signed him, within the contract there was the option there to extend it further, which we will do."

What do you think of this development? Still stunned that DeJong didn't get a red card? Confident that Holden can return and still be a fofce at the World Cup?

Comments

1. Glad he should only be out 6 weeks. I hope that is all it is, you never know…

Glad Bolton believes in him. If Dempsey and Feilhaber recovers Holden would likely play 2nd fiddle anyways, so I won’t cry if he isn’t on the roster…though he will.

I most excited for him personally, especially that he has gained the respect of his coach in England and that coyle wants to keep him even during rehab and the broken tibula… great news. The club will take care of him and we can continue to watch him in the EPL.

I hope he heals in proper time though, he deserves a chance at the big one.

2. This is another reason why I like Torres….I believe Bradley Jr. also came in for Stu. We need more fire from our team especially when one of our players get tackled badly or gets hurt.

I think this type of fire needs to come from the Coach!!

3. Really? Cause everythin I read said this was the final squad, oh and the forward was playing his 4th game wow, how many games was that for findley? But since, you can say the way they played didn’t matter I can say i think they sucked balls.

4. everyone is focusing on the tackle, but that is misplaced – 6 weeks is not so bad. The important part of the article is that Bolton picked up Stu for the rest of the season DESPITE the injury. Glowing statements from the manager, too. This is really, really impressive, considering the short period of time he’s had over there. Holden is one of only a handful of American outfield players to ever impress in Premiership. I always liked him, but if he earns a contract there for next year, that would be absolutely huge. I’m glad he’s finally being recognized and it bodes very well indeed for the U.S. chances this summer.

5. Wow, I also know enough that your body has a natural themometer and going above that you can die, ever hear of having a heat stroke. thats why they tell you when you have a fever to rest so that the excess heat does not shut down your organs, but I guess you KNEW that genius!

6. Netherlands were a dirty team in the last WC. They’re still a dirty team. And we can expect more anti-Yank biased officiating at the WC, just like we saw in the Confed cup.

7. DeJong has moved alongside various Italians into my pantheon of most-hated players. Laughable how he pulled a matador and acted shocked when Bradley slid in on a similar challenge. Freaking hypocrite bastard

8. I think it’s time to adjust expectations for this summer, and getting out of the group stage would be a nice accomplishment.

Realistically, the US was only going to play 14-15 guys in South Africa. Now, you’ve got 5-6 of those guys hurt (pending your own line-up projections), without anyone having a real sense of how they’ll perform off injury.

key injuries; Onyewu, Jones, Clark, Holden, Dempsey, Davies
    potential replacements on the roster: Goodsen, Edu, Feilhaber, Torres, Findley, Casey

…not exactly apples for apples.

9. Thugs only need to hurt those who won’t cough the ball up more easily. And since thugs are usually left to play in back or in the middle, they do not get too many chances to go after defenders, just attackers and creative midfielders.

10. Holden’s injury along with the overall poor performance from the USNT attack & defense is still bothering me. To my way of thinking key’s for yesterdays match in preperation for the WC were:

1) Find Jozy a strike partner. Findley & Johnson both disappointed me in this regard. Neither showed me anything to suggest they should be starting next to Jozy if CD9 doens’t make a superhuman recovery.

2) Defensivly proven that Bornstein still lacks the soccer IQ for the international game. Still refuses to learn from past mistakes. As bad as the Ref was (and he was bad) he could have called a 2nd PK against Bornstein for his handball in the box.

Only thing the match showed/confirmed for me is the depth at the Midfield…which I already knew. Torres & Edu both performed well (not great but serviceable and are still in contention for WC slots). Holden, Beasley, and even Bedoya showed abilities and warrant consideration for slots as well. Bradley played a very determined box to box game…as I expected. Was disappointed with Donovan’s play…but that happens from time to time. If it continues to be a problem in the next friendlies will be a little worried.

Anyone feel differently? Still lost on the strikers and Left Back…who can step up???????

11. All I want to see if consistency from FIFA refs. The U.S. always gets shafted in big games, whether we draw BS red’s (two in the conf. cup) or if we have a guy with a broken leg from a clear, red-card challenge.

I would venture to say that De Jong’s challenge would have been a red if it had been Holden sliding in stud’s up, missing the ball.

And, if it were me, I would have put my fist through his jaw if he had tried to pull him up like that after that challenge. Bocanegra or Demerit needs to step up and defend their teammate.

12. Was the reason Torres got a yellow card for protesting the lack of a card for DeJong?

If Torres did indeed stand up for his teammate, more power to him.

On the bright side, broken bones that do not involve joints are pretty straightforward to heal so the timeline is likely to be pretty accurate and Holden will be available and fit for SA.

FWIW I thought Torres looked a lot better than in the other games I’ve seen him play for the USA.

13. Ideal lineup! In addition, Pearce to back-up Boca with Spector 3rd, Bornstein gone…end of LB problem! CB’s Goodson b/u with Edu/Spector for emergency…RB Spector/Dolo.

14. Not worked up about foul. It was a bit reckless/dangerous, but those things happen any number of times each game. Most of the time the player gets up, comes off for 2 minutes, and is back running full speed a few minutes later. Once in awhile they don’t. Injuries happen in a sport this fast, physical, and intense.

I am in a complete minority here, but I came away from this game encouraged about our team. We played without Dempsey,Onyewu, and Cherundolo, three players that would have helped us Wednesday. Donovan didn’t show up. We might get lucky and get Davies and/or Jones back. Despite all of this, we lost 2-1 against a top five team playing at near full strength. The Dutch scored their goals on a bad penalty by Bornstein and a deflection. We actually had a couple of chances to tie that game.

Not sure what people expected with our neutered lineup. We were never ever going to dominate possession or create more chances. That we were in that game until the end says alot about us. Ugly but competitive. We have a good chance to get out of the group, no chance to get to the semis. Overall a good result, confidence building (except for Bornstein, of course). Holden is a loss, but I’d rather have DMB and I think Bedoya can provide depth. He looked confident–the moment was not too big for him

15. Hmmm, did you take into account that their forward was starting in only his 4th senior game? That they mixed half of their first team with scrubs and took off most of them and subbed in other first teamers? This was not the WC squad. Please do not think that USA would have done nearly as well if they would have played their full first team (the whole game) and the game actually mattered.

16. Yea….we had a guy on our college team that we used once or twice a season…listed as a sweeper but he was really there to “even things out”…..if the perp was still on the field with less than 5 on the clock he was used as a hard man. NCAA substitute rules were/are still??different so this was never a problem (plenty o subs)I know its kinda evil and juve to “get back” at someone, but if you can dish it out you had better be ready for some retaliation, no matter what level of play. I’m glad we dont but sometimes I wish the NATS had a player and the balls to do just that!

17. Funny that walking off could have caused the fibula to finally crack. I am also sure that 98% of the posters here do not actually know where the fibula is, or how easy it is to break.

18. So, you’re a doctor now? I wonder why the body induces a fever when you’re sick….not because raising the body temp inhibits bacterial enzymes from functioning or anything. Raising your body temperature is one of the fastest ways to cut sickness time, but you knew that already didn’t you.

19. HOW BOUT THIS

Donavon Bradley Holden Beasley

Thats the ONLY way beasley is ever going to start. When beasley passed to where he thought spec was going to be, that did it for me in terms of proving he lacks vision. We need him in SA though, he’d be a killer sub, just as Holden was and might be if he doesnt start

20. Ives, please remove White flags comment from your blog. This is no place to offend a nation just because a player got injured on a dirty foul.

21. INJURY LIST: Cherundolo, Davies*, Dempsey, Feilhaber*, Holden, Jones*, Onyewu

BENNY FEILHABER’s ankle injury (reported as cartilage damage) may be more serious than first anticipated according to reports and may MISS THE WORLD CUP!

22. The Dutch newspaper the Metro which is a free paper passed out at train stations had a small article on the game. The writer was disappointed with the play of the Dutch but must of the article talked about the horrible tackle of de Jong and that he continued to show that he is a player who is always likely to get sent off.

23. Aside from the obvious indication for a red card in that situation, I still have to ask one question of DeJong…who comes in like that in a friendly?? It just wasn’t warranted given the null implications of the match, yet you seriously injured and possibly had a major impact on another player’s career.

DeJong should be ashamed, but he probably won’t be. The USSF probably should complain to FIFA, but they won’t because they don’t want to have to deal with possible officiating “paybacks” at the WC.

The entire situation was unfortunate and unnecessary.

24. There is no borderline about it. FIFA came several years ago and stated that a two footed challenge with cleats up is an automatic red whether contact is made or not.

25. Beasley over Holden, are you kidding! Beasley did okay last night, but still loses possession way to much. Holden is currently (before the injury) one of the best midfielders we have. Every game he has played in, he makes his presence known one way or another…pin point crossing, taking on players, passing, etc. leaps and bounds above old man Beasley.

26. The Dutch were coming in the entire first half with cleats raised. They repeatedly slapped our players, pushed them, and talked trash. I lost a lot of respect for them yesterday.

The ref, who didn’t see a single foul on the Dutch in the first half (okay, I exaggerate) has shut me up forever about MLS refs vs. European refs. The guy was utterly inept, completely clueless, and looked to be incredibly biased.

I’m a tit for tat guy….. someone should have taken schneider out.

27. Maybe soccer should have competition weight classes. It’s hard to imagine a challenge like that from, say, a DaMarcus Beasley snapping anybody’s bones. But then again maybe a challenge like that doesn’t happen without some big lumbering oaf on the field.

Yeah, let the bantam weight skill players have their beautiful game while all y’all thugs get your “When Trains Collide” jollies watching the big boys play tit for tat.

28. I agree with this statement to a point. It was a borderline straight red I didnt jump out of my seat and say RED CARD! It was a foul that happens during the course of any game. If he didnt get hurt no one would have thought twice about it.

29. Preposterous. What are you basing that outlandish claim on? Go get your facts stright before coming here and spouting nonsense.
    My point for all of you who missed it is quite simple: the flu is an acute illness with very high odds of full recovery while cancers, muscle degeneration and blood diseases are CHRONIC illnesses with poor outlook in general.
    Having had family and friends go through ALL those diseases I find it very easy to say that any goddamn flu I have ever had is NOTHING in comparison.

30. I think it was more towards the ref. He just stood there and took a long time to call the US training staff onto the field.

31. I didnt see Holden having as great a game as I keep hearing about on here. He was playing solid as usual. Not bad but not great. When beasley came on for him it made a difference. Beasley to me was clearly our best player and outperformed Holden.

32. If that was the problem, why didn’t our fearless coach start someone that is trying to make this team….No matter how Donovan plays, he is going to be a starter….I think a good coach could understand this. We sure have enough mids to rest him if he is not feeling, well.

33. Can someone tell me why the U.S. National team does not share the same unwritten rules as the normal players in every sort of league understand. That is if your player takes a ridiculous challenge on your team and the refs don’t deal with it then its your jobs as teammates to settle the score for your downed player. The ref should of given him a red card to protect de jong from the slaughter that the U.S. players should of delivered on him. If the U.S. players don’t do this in a friendly then when are they going to step up and defend themselves? Shame on Bob Bradley for not going nuts on the sidelines.

34. Mario, I think Donovan played like he plays for Everton…MIA at times…but the difference is the quality of the Everton players can still find him and get him the ball but when playing for the US HE needs to collect it, himself…or no one sees him out on the wing. On the Nats he need to play in middle behind Josey…Striker problem, settled!

35. Everyone needs to relax about this red card thing…It wasnt dirty…it was late, it was dangerous…it wasnt from behind and there was no intent to play the man. Studs came up after the initial hit on holden. In the world cup, thats a red. In a league match, im not soo sure. In a friendly? Dont count on it. Whining doesnt get anyone very far. IMHO Donovan’s play against chelsea where he kicked cole was late and dangerous. Cole’s foot was there first then LD struck it playing the ball. He wasnt even booked…

36. what sucks is MB has become a staple that so we cant afford to have him get back to his bread and butter of nasty late tackles 🙂