By FRANCO PANIZO
Not so fast, Edson Buddle.
Herculez Gomez continued to make a case as to why he is arguably the most in-form American striker, scoring a brace in Puebla's 4-1 victory over Cruz Azul on Sunday. Gomez scored with a driven shot just three minutes in, before adding his second off a header late in the first half.
As promising as the game started for Gomez, it ended disappointingly. Gomez received a questionable second yellow card for a dive in the second half and will miss Puebla's season finale. Gomez will finish the season with ten goals in thirteen games, tied for the league lead with Chivas' Javier "Chicharito" Hernandez and Atlante's Johan Fano.
Gomez wasn't the only American Abroad to score this weekend. Eric Lichaj scored the first goal of his club career in Leyton Orient's 2-0 win over Stockport County. Lichaj netted with a shot from outside the area, and his goal helped Leyton Orient go four points clear of the drop zone with three games remaining.
It wasn't all good news this weekend. Steve Cherundolo and Hannover 96 took a step back in their battle for safety by suffering a 7-0 mauling at the hands of Bayern Munich, while relegation-threatened Watford lost Jay DeMerit to injury in its own lopsided loss.
Here is how the Americans Abroad fared this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made four saves in Everton's 3-2 win vs. Blackburn Rovers on Saturday.
- Jozy Altidore came off the bench and played 14 minutes in Hull City 's 0-0 draw vs. Birmingham on Saturday.
- Clint Dempsey did not dress in Fulham's 0-0 draw vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday. He is recovering from a thigh injury.
- Jonathan Spector and West Ham United play Liverpool on Monday.
- Brad Friedel started, played 90 minutes and made five saves in Aston Villa's 2-1 win vs. Portsmouth on Sunday.
Brad Guzan dressed but did not play in Aston Villa's 2-1 win vs. Portsmouth on Sunday.
Marcus Hahnemann started and played 90 minutes in Wolverhampton Wanderers' 0-0 draw vs. Fulham on Saturday.
Stuart Holden did not dress in Bolton Wanderers' 2-1 win vs. Stoke City on Saturday.
COCA COLA CHAMPIONSHIP
- Jay DeMerit started and played 56 minutes in Watford's 4-1 loss vs. Leicester City on Saturday. He left the game with an injury.
- Frank Simek dressed but did not play in Sheffield Wednesday's 1-1 draw vs. Sheffield United on Sunday.
- Kenny Cooper and Plymouth Argyle play Newcastle United on Monday.
- Eric Lichaj started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL in Leyton Orient's 2-0 win vs. Stockport County on Saturday.
- Jemal Johnson started and played 79 minutes in Stockport County's 2-0 loss vs. Leyton Orient on Saturday.
- Jon-Paul Pittman started and played 65 minutes in Wycombe Wanderers' 3-2 loss vs. Milton Keynes Dons on Saturday.
- Mike Grella dressed but did not play in Leeds United's 3-2 loss vs. Gillingham on Saturday.
Zak Whitbread did not dress in Norwich City's 1-0 win vs. Charlton Athletic on Saturday.
- Maurice Edu dressed but did not play in Rangers' 2-0 win vs. Heart of Midlothian on Sunday.
- DaMarcus Beasley did not dress in Rangers' 2-0 win vs. Heart of Midlothian on Sunday.
- Dominic Cervi did not dress in Celtic's 3-2 win vs. Hibernian on Saturday.
- Oguchi Onyewu did not dress in AC Milan's 2-1 loss vs. Sampdoria on Sunday.
- Michael Bradley started and played 90 minutes in Borussia Moenchengladbach's 3-1 loss vs. Schalke 04 on Saturday.
- Steve Cherundolo started and played 90 minutes in Hannover 96's 7-0 loss vs. Bayern Munich on Saturday.
- Sal Zizzo did not dress in Hannover 96's 7-0 loss vs. Bayern Munich on Saturday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Jermaine Jones did not dress in Schalke 04's 3-1 win vs. Borussia Moenchengladbach on Saturday. He is recovering from a leg injury.
- Ricardo Clark dressed but did not play in Eintracht Frankfurt's 2-2 draw vs. Hertha Berlin on Sunday.
- Daniel Williams did not dress in SC Freiburg's 2-1 win vs. Nurnberg on Saturday.
- Jared Jeffrey did not dress in Mainz 05's 1-0 win vs. Hamburg SV on Saturday.
- Luis Robles and Kaiserslautern play Arminia Bielefeld on Monday.
- Matt Taylor did not dress in FSV Frankfurt's 2-1 win vs. Hansa Rostock on Saturday.
- David Yeldell did not dress in TUS Koblenz's 2-2 draw vs. Karlsruhe on Friday. He is recovering from a season-ending ankle injury.
- Carlos Bocanegra did not dress in Stade Rennes' 0-0 draw vs. AS Nancy Lorraine on Saturday. He returned to training from a groin injury on Thursday.
- Charlie Davies did not dress in Sochaux's 2-2 draw vs. Grenoble on Saturday.
- Gale Agbossoumonde did not dress in Sporting Braga's 3-1 win vs. Leixoes on Saturday.
- Freddy Adu dressed but did not play in Aris Salonika's 2-1 loss vs. Olympiakos on Sunday.
- Eddie Johnson started and played 61 minutes in Aris Salonika's 2-1 loss vs. Olympiakos on Sunday.
- Benny Feilhaber started and played 90 minutes in AGF Aarhus' 1-0 loss vs. Brondby on Sunday.
- Michael Parkhurst started and played 90 minutes in FC Nordsjaelland's 4-1 win vs. Silkeborg IF on Monday.
- Marcus Tracy and Aalborg BK play Esbjerg on Monday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Chris Rolfe and Aalborg BK play Esbjerg on Monday.
- Alejandro Bedoya and Orebro BK play Gefle on Monday.
- Clarence Goodson started and played 90 minutes in IK Start's 3-1 loss vs. Stromsgodset on Sunday.
- Hunter Freeman started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in IK Start's 3-1 loss vs. Stromsgodset on Sunday.
- Mikkel Diskerud started and played 71 minutes in Stabaek's 4-2 win vs. Kongsvinger on Sunday.
- Jose Francisco Torres came off the bench and played 45 minutes in Pachuca's 1-1 draw vs. Toluca on Saturday.
- Edgar Castillo did not dress in Tigres UANL's 2-1 win vs. Atlante on Saturday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Marco Vidal started and played 90 minutes in Indios de Ciudad Juarez's 1-0 loss vs. Chiapas on Saturday.
- Herculez Gomez started, played 65 minutes, scored two GOALS and received two yellow cards in Puebla's 4-1 win vs. Cruz Azul on Sunday.
- Michael Hoyos did not dress in Estudiantes La Plata's 2-1 win vs. Tigre on Saturday.
What do you think of these performances? Think Gomez is the hottest American striker right now? Do you see Lichaj as a potential U.S. national team defender for next cycle? Surprised by Hannover's lopsided loss? Think Watford will get relegated if DeMerit misses any games?
Share your thoughts below.