Wednesday Kickoff: Inter rolls past Barcelona

Inter Milan went down a goal early against Barcelona, but as their Champions League first-leg semifinal continued, Inter eventually found cracks in the Barcelona defense on their way to a 3-1 victory at the San Siro.

Wesley Sneijder, Maicon and Diego Milito scored goals for Inter, which head to the Camp Nou second leg up two goals.

Here are the highlights of Tuesday's Champions league in the semifinals:

Comments

1. Exactly. If Barca was in the EPL they would run into the same problem arsenal has. Weak defense and not enough physical strength. I would see the two of them battle for 3rd, with barca edging arsenal out.

2. Lyon has in recent years been in and around that Cinderella story for years now. The signing of Lopez and Gomis and that brazilian dude from Lille was massive for them this year.

I think Bayern could take Inter. However, I do believe Lyon has a very good shot of knocking out Bayern.

3. I agree to some extent, but I definitely agree that their season would be hammered by more injuries and they wouldn’t score as often. Probably wouldn’t display as well in the CL either, during a grueling season. Why do you think Jose wants back in?

4. On the slow-mo, you could see Messi’s shoulder bounce into Maicon’s jaw and two or three of his teeth went flying…ouch! Yeah, Messi better beware of Maicon on the field next week…lol.

5. No, Arsenal is contending for 3rd in the EPL. I think what DomiNate is saying is that Barca would be 3rd and Arsenal would be contending for 4th. I’m not sure if I buy what DomiNate is saying, but Arsenal is certainly not contending for the EPL title.

6. Boletelli is a nut job. He almost seemed to launch that ball into the crowd on purpose rather than slot it through to the open man. Then he was gesturing to the crowd and seemed to throw his hands up at Mourinho. Kid needs a psychiatrist. And what was up with Pique getting hammered in the penalty box and no call. He was rugby tackled.

7. If you’re stating this as a fact, you’re wrong. They certainly did not beat Manchester United in last year’s Champions League at home. If you’re just commenting about his great home record, then I guess you’re not wrong…

8. Yeah, that grabbed all the headlines here in England. No doubt he said that specifically FOR the English press. He certainly wasn’t gonna say that to the Italian media.

9. I would have to disagree – I thought the first 1/2 of the game Barca was getting all of the calls. There were a couple of offside calls against Inter which were completely wrong in which the player only had the keeper to beat.

10. Bayern is a class side… I didn’t mean disrespect exactly to them. But I just feel that Inter and Barca are heads above other teams right now (or maybe I’ve bought into the hype). Lyon is the Cinderella here though

11. Still wouldn’t be surprised to see Barcelona win it 4-0 or 4-1 at Camp Nou. The thing is, even if Barca are up 4-1, one late goal still wins it for Inter!

12. great result, i called this. i dont buy into the bus ride excuse. inter simply outplayed barca when it’s all said and done. they didnt dominate or anything, but they clearly outplayed them. they countered xavi and messi perfectly. you do that, barca can’t seem to win. not saying it will be easy, but lets be real, those two players (and iniesta if in) control barca.

milito was offsides.

and can i say, maicon is just incredible. what a player he is. the real question is, will he remain at inter next season…i’ll say no.

13. did anyone see the Mourinho’s post game interview? he kept referring to chelsea as ‘my boys at chelsea’. heres to hoping that he finds a new, VERY LARGE home. love this guy…

14. I was really disappointed w/ Pep. And sadly, Ibra is simply not world class. I usually get annoyed w/ the British commentators because they are so biased against Barca, but the man had it right on, if Ibra goes in w/ his head (rather than trying to kick it at eye level) on that first cross from Maxwell, and the second from Pedro, it’s possible Barca go up 2-0 so early, and seize control of the tie.

Ibra was awful, not running, not posing ANY sort of the threat to the Inter back line. So what did they do? Key on Messi, I know Mourinho said he wasn’t going to man-mark him, but that was a lie, Cambiasso at least was following him everywhere, and when he got inside the final 3rd, Motta and a Centerback would come up to triple team. W/ NO movement from Zlatan, Messi has no options.

I have to blame Pep for not doing something about this at half time. Pedro was excellent as usual, as was Xavi, and I thought Busquets was ok, but taking off Ibra and putting in Abidal? And moving Maxwell up to forward? And then Pique to center forward at the end? Why not put on Bojan or Henry? Try to pull another goal back? I’d love to hear the reasons for not doing that, I just don’t get it, so much pressure from Barca at the end, but the ball kept falling to Pique in the box, not exactly Barca’s best finisher.

Ibra, either ya got it or you don’t, one of the biggest matches of your career and you looked like a JOKE out there.

Pep, get over yourself, you still have the best team in the world, USE your players. Not putting a forward another forward in w/ 30 minutes to go was absolutely flabbergasting.

All this said, Mourinho, well done sir.

15. Let me just sum up the vast majority of everyone’s comments in advance so the rest of you don’t have to write anything:

Inter looked amazing, who can possibly stop them? Barca looked washed up and they will be lucky to win the league now. Messi didn’t score, so he’s now in a slump and Ronaldo has overtaken him as the best player in the world this week since he scored this past weekend, until Rooney scores against Tottenham this weekend.

The end…

16. Finally!!! Barca might be my least favorite club because of all the hype they get. They have a great attack that works well in a league that plays no defense, but put them against a less talented but organized team and this is what happens. If Barca played in the EPL they would be 3rd every year.

17. time for Jose to pack it in next game. and jesus can Balotelli get any more lazy? he had the most fresh legs out there and he was trotting around like Conner Casey.

Zanetti is a freak of nature. at 36 years old he still has the wheels and the grit to go along with the skill and experience. When you factor in offense AND defense he’s gotta be up there in the top 2 or 3 fullbacks in the world

18. Forza Inter! Messi brought his Argentina form to the San Siro. The whole Barca team just stopped when Messi was stopped leading to Maicon’s goal. It was like they were suprised someone could actually tackled Messi and they thought he had to have been fouled. Milito was a mile off.

19. The consensus seems to be that yes Milito was offside, just a bit. Them’s the breaks.

Maicon lost some dental work to Messi apparently, so should be ready to go. And more than ready to defend against Messi again : )

20. Inter got every single call their way. Every single one of them. That said, Barca still could have pulled this one out. I do not understand why Pep didn’t start Yaya Toure against a big physical Italian club in the San Siro. By the hour mark, it was clear that Ibra was not on his game and with 3 of their backs one yellow away from missing the second leg why wouldn’t you put (you don’t mess with the) Bojan out their and tell him to run at defenders? Pep was outcoached.

21. Did we ever see an overhead TV shot of Milito’s goal to definitively say whether it was offside? During the broadcast, they never showed it. From the camera angles they did show, it appeared he might have been offside, but those angles were extremely poor for a definitive view.

Also, any word on Maicon’s injury?

In any event, Inter was very, very impressive and they deserved the win.

22. I keep seeing reports that Inter “stunned” Barca. Does Barca have some sort of right to never be beaten? They are only 1 point up in the title race, tied Espanyol at the weekend and just got hammered by Inter.

I’ve said it before, it’s nearly impossible to make it to two finals in a row, let alone win it. They are not out as a 3-1 deficit isn’t that huge when going back to play at home where they won 2-0, but I am seriously hoping they got knocked out.

Barca only wins as much as they do because the opposition let’s them. See the 1st half of last night – Inter stood off the player with the ball and let them pass. The second half they pressured and forced mistakes. It was the same last year against Chelsea in the 1st leg.

PUT BARCA UNDER PRESSURE AND THEY WILL LOSE

23. I had a feeling Mourinho would have them ready to win… 3-1 is pretty convincing. Hopefully Barca responds well at Camp Nou for a thrilling conclusion. I don’t care what anyone else says- this is the true CL Final. Both teams are better than Bayern-Lyon