MLS to introduce Montreal as 19th MLS Team

Major League Soccer and the Montreal Impact have scheduled press conferences for Friday morning, where they are expected to announce Montreal as the 19th MLS franchise. Montreal will join MLS in 2012.

Montreal will become the third Canadian team in MLS, joining Toronto FC and the Vancouver Whitecaps, which will begin MLS play in 2011.

What do you think of Montreal joining MLS?

Comments

1. To be fair, baseball hasn’t even been succesful at driving in crowds in Florida either and the baseball-loving public down there is as big as the so-called soccer-loving public. MLB was going to retract Florida and Tampa Bay at one point also.

It’s the same reason San Diego teams struggle when they’re not winning, there’s just too many other things to do in the nice weather (unlike, say, Seattle’s gloomy gray days).

2. My dad was a trucker… he liked Miami because he used to get a lot of jobs hauling frozen chicken into Miami because most truck drivers refused to go to “little Cuba” as they called it.

3. I’d say Miami’s failure is a reflection of the fact that a “European City” in North America can’t really cut it for fan support.

I wonder if the moving of the SuperSonics had anything to do with Seattle’s instant embrace by the larger public that never cared about USL Sounders. Maybe we should be looking for cities like Columbus that only have one other major sporting outfit (and let’s face it, Ohio State Football is as big as any pro team). Maybe a city like Nashville (with a NFL team but no MLB or NBA team) would make a lot of sense.

4. It just proves that the MLS is mostly concerned with making money and developing soccer in the US is not their priority.

Of course we all knew that to start with anyway.

5. Montreal was shrewd. MLS will have three great markets (in Canada) and fire-hot rivalrys (TFC-Impact; and the three NW teams–that is, NW of where I live, lol)

MLS should go to 24 teams with 4 regional divisions (if they can, bump it up to 32). Travel expenses can be less, too.

Miami will be a bit of a challenge, but not like many who ignorantly post here. There is a base there, the Fusion were increasing in attendance despite location issues. It was the owner who bailed. Get your facts straight.

St. Louis is next, unless Barca comes through for Miami first.

What a fantastic things we have: a growing soccer league in North America!!!

6. i lived in Miami (and loved it). My friend says about it: “the nice thing about Miami is that it’s so close to the United States!”

GO FUSION!

7. It feel like we have the same discussion over and over. Congrats to Montreal — they have a deep-pocketed owner and a stadium solution, and a seemingly-built-in fan base. Right now, you can’t find that anywhere else. I still want to see teams in Atlanta and St. Louis, but they are riskier.

8. Well MikeMike you are making a lot of assumptions in your statement.
    1-People in Manhattan do not care about soccer as much as people in Brooklyn an Queens where majority of NYC soccer reside.
    2-Ive been to 2 games so far
    3-It is actually much easier to get to a game in Queens or Brooklyn because it is one land mass and you can get to any place in a half hour driving. It took me 40 mins to walk to the path train after the fire game and than it took me an hour and 25 mins to get to my house in bensonhurst brooklyn. It cost about 8 dollars on my metrocard to get there cause you have to pay for the nyc train as well as the path train both ways. If I were to drive to the game it would probably take more time plus I will have to pay for all of the gas that I will wait in the slowproccession out of the stadium and then all the traffic the holland tunnel.
    4- I dont have to support the Italians in order to get a team because either Brooklyn or Queens is def gonna get the Beckham owned team because there is no other place that Beckham would rather live. And garber wants a second ny team in ny proper, much like the Sons of Bens got a team for philly the Borough Boys will get a team for NY…….

With news coming out that Red Bull actually wanted to put a team in NY proper I am pissed cause RBNY would have been RBNY if AEG didnt own the Metrostars…….. But no use in crying over spilled milk……. I support RBNY and will until either Brooklyn or Queens get a team.
    Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

9. Those of you who keep citing the Florida teams need to get a reality check. As a born and bred North Carolina boy, I can tell you: Nobody in the actual Southeast thinks of Miami or Tampa as southern. Florida might as well be a foreign country.

The bottom line is that the fate of MLS teams in Florida is irrelevant to the potential fate of MLS teams in places like Charlotte or Atlanta.

10. I wish they’d have stopped at 18 teams in Division 1. That’s 34 games with a balanced schedule and that’s more then enough. 19 teams means we’ll go to 20 and I doubt if we can fit in 38 games, which’ll mean the schedule won’t be balanced.

I’d rather they stopped at 18 and then focused on building a solid division 2.

11. The Silverbacks had a new and pretty decent soccer specific facility and still nobody came… Where are they going to build a stadium? There is nowhere inside the perimeter… if you build up in Cobb you alienate the large soccer areas of Rockdale ,Fayette and Henry counties…

I think Arthur wants a team but he also needs to know that it will only be a struggle for a short time not 10 years…

12. What’s up with the Quebecois saying Tabernak whenever they curse at someone? They say “Tabernak” instead of F*** you?

13. How much it matters that the soccer staduim is a 10 minute train ride from WTC? It’s easier to get from Manhattan to Harrison than from Manhattan to many spots in the outer boroughs.

You don’t go because youre lazy, not because the team is in NJ. If your so into a team in Brooklyn, follow the Italians. Get 9k there for two years and you have your MLS team.

The reason I like the Impact addition is that it further clarifies “how to get an MLS team in your town.”

14. while I think that Montreal in mls will be great i think that the name “Impact” has to go…. I feel that all teams that have adopted a more non american nickname (minus the galaxy) have been thriving more recently…. btw the 20th team should be another team in nyc. all of the “top four” leagues have at least two teams in the nyc market

15. i have to say…. i think a team in Montreal is great…. Ottawa and Calgary too? what are you smoking because I want in on it. MLS has hit the most important Canadian markets. Be happy with what you have.

16. please fly down to san jose to watch a game. We might get 8k like the rest of those teams, but we are 80% full and the product hasnt been as good as colorado or NE. Just this year we are starting to win (very ugly but a W is a W).

17. He’s considered a traitor by most passionate Canadian national team fans, but there are more fans in Canada who don’t really care for our NT – since they prefer Italy, Brazil, Germany, England, etc. So while there would be some 200 hardcore CMNT fans hating the team for bringing in Hargreaves, the rest would love him.

His knees, however, would definitely not be suitable for MLS.

18. Please don’t refer to the NHL as an American league. There are only 2 reasons there are more teams in the US. 1st, greater population overall (this is why, back when there were 6 teams in the 40s to 60s, 4 were in the US. There were no big markets in Canada other than Toronto and Montreal at that time).
    2nd, the NHL knows that Canadians will watch NHL games, no matter who is playing. Having teams in the US means they make money in the US, whereas they will always make money in Canada, whether the teams are here or not.

19. Good suggestion. Impact it may be but it’s a typical name of team from a lower league that is trying too hard to be aggressive. The trend towards classic euro style naming conventions is refreshing but Olympique is very classy sounding. PS The branding (logo etc) of current Impact is garbage. They need to look the part like (hate to say it Montreal) Tortonto FC or even the strength and simplicity of the Candadian soccer associations maple leaf/ball mark. Phily has an incredible looking crest for a team insignia too.

20. While this is somewhat true, there are exceptions. The Toronto Maple Leafs have been crap for the past 5 years, and mediocre for the past 40. But they still have capacity crowds.
    The Montreal Canadiens are similar, except we’ve had a better product on the ice. Of course, hockey is more popular than oxygen in many parts of Canada.

Short term, this is great for MLS. Long term, still great. If the league doesn’t have success stories off the field like Toronto, they’re never going to improve the on field product.

Ask any hockey player, and their favourite place to play a road game is Montreal, because of the passion the fans show. That’s the kind of thing that brings good players in.

21. I know people are into “nationality” or whatever, but if Vancouver develops a rivalry it should definitely be with someone that isn’t located on the opposite side of the continent. I think the 3 northwestern team have a good thing going.

22. And I should also add that EVERY town is a wishy washy sports town. Teams that suck year after year, with few exceptions (like the Cubs), do not consistently sell tickets.

23. I also live in Atlanta. Put something quality on the field and people will show up. I think the Falcons, Hawks, and Braves can attest to that. If the Thrashers did not field a bunch of no-namers and charge $70 for okay seats, people would watch them, too.

I don’t know why you would cite the Silverbacks. Does a minor league team compare with a top-level club? If a well-funded ownership group came in and built a stadium and bought some quality players, they would find support.

I will say, however, that the NC locations I mentioned would be better than Atlanta.

24. I live in Atlanta and you are way off base here… nobody supported the Silverback but of course they never marketed either… Atlanta is a wishy washy sports town… the stadium would have to be in the right part of town… to many snobs wont go to the Remax park in Doraville because they are afraid they might bump into some who does not speak with a southern accent god forbid or maybe even someone who speaks little English.. It is sad.. because I really want an MLS team but it is way off and St Louis will get the 20th spot and they will treat it with pride like Seattle, Toronto and soon to be Montreal.

25. They don’t have an extremely rich owner. As simple as that. Shame, since they had a nice stadium plan that had the backing of the local government.

26. No he wouldn’t. He’s considered a traitor (like your Rossi) by many Canadian soccer fans. That and he has horrible knees and Vancouver are playing on turf in BC Place.

27. The Impact have been around as long as MLS and are a recognized brand in Quebec and Canadian soccer. The name ain’t changing. By the way, they are named the Impact because the word means and is spelled the same in French and English.

28. I’d like to take you up on that bet…..I don’t think you’ve seen the crowds here at USL games let alone the TA. Just sayin…