How far can the United States go in the World Cup?

BradleyAltidore

It took a dramatic, last-second goal from Landon Donovan, but the United States made it through to the knockout stages, emerging as winners of Group C.

With the second round beckoning, each game is now a win or go home, starting this Saturday against the runner up in Group D. And as the USA showed last year at the Confederations Cup, anything is possible at this point.

Here's a question for SBI readers: how far do you think the United States can go in this World Cup? Have your say in the poll below.

———–

How did you vote? Think the USA can make a long run now?

Comments

1. Everytime I see ESPN show Donovan’s, it’s almost like I’m reliving running around my house right after it happened. Now for the knockout stage, we are on the side of the bracket where we can make a run. It won’t be easy but Ghana, Korea, and Uruguat are beatable. I am confident Bob can devise a gameplan to contain the likes of Forlan and Suarez. I believe we can get to the semifinals and maybe take third place, depending on who gets there.

2. I think the USA has a real good chance of making it to the semi-finals. I can see us having another Algeria type game with Ghana and then going to face South Korea who I see upsetting Uruguay. I would then see us beating South Korea in another tight match, and then going on to play the Netherlands who I see upsetting Brazil because I just see Brazil slipping up once. Then I would see us more then likely losing to the Netherlands, as they are just to strong for us right now. I would then see us playing Portugal who would lose to Germnay. Then in the 3rd place game, I could see us finally have luck on our side and have Portugal play with out a top player or 2 and us winning 2-1 in ET. Hey one can hope right.

3. USA can go far as long as they continue with that drive and desire to win and play a full 90. I am alittle weary of the defensive end of the squad as they do allow alot of chances on howard. if the coach can get though the defence that its imperative to keep the attackers out of the 18 yard box then our chances increase ever so slighlty at keeping a clean sheet. With all the parity that im seeing in this world cup It can be anyones tournament. 1 victory at a time.. Ghana here we come..

4. actually, replace spain with chile…if spain win on friday, they would take 1st and end up on the other side of the bracket.

5. given it appears that the other four teams on our side of the bracket will probably be the netherlands, italy, brazil and spain (assuming each win thursday/friday), i don’t know if we’ll get past the semis.

i think we can beat ghana and the quarters would then be SK or Uruguay. but in the semnis we could very well end up playing one of the four above.

6. Isn’t Honduras all but out of it? I guess they just have to win and make up the goal differential between then and Spain?

7. Our back line really scares me though. Ghana could slice us to bits if we don’t tighten up. Hope to see Gooch and Clark/Edu holding and Bornstein back were he belongs.

8. WOW this is great USA had a nice scenerio for the rest round. Too bad it was not Serbia cause it would be playing agaist Subatic but now that we know that is Ghana is bring us back to 2006 World Cup and should be a little pay back for the 3rd game when USA lost 2-0 and I hope that is a motivation for Dempsey, Bocanegra, Ouguchi, Beasley and Donovan who were on that Roster and some of this player were on the field. SO come on USA get some pay back and lets move to the next stage. GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS THE USNMT..

9. Altidore is not available for the next game he got a red card. Maybe if USA past to the Quarter Final he will be available.

10. Too bad Herculez Gomez didn’t score today. Then all our Hispanic fans could yell “Herculito” instead of “Puto”.

11. as long as we are getting ahead of ourselves…to think Uruguay will be easier than Ghana is crazy. Has anyone been watching their attack? Their three forwards are incredibly strong, and it will take a monster effort by Edu and Bradley to keep Forlan under control. We are definitely capable of beating them, but they are putting forward one of the better attacking performances so far.

12. I think Ghana is beatable (though they will have homefield advantage). Uruguay is another story, as they have looked really good so far. But who knows, maybe Forlan will get a red card against South Korea (one can dream).

13. I remember a Serbian joker pontificating during the Subotic discussions about how much better they were than us. Don’t think so, bud. I am dedicating today to you.

Go USA!

14. Pretty great to see them excited… Bill Plashke trying to downplay it but it was a good hard fought win in the face of adversity and a manageable rout to the semis…

15. Anyone think Michael Bradley has made himself an assload of money after the cUP? I think he has been class above class…

16. Woody Paige just called it the “coup de grass”.

As much as Around the Horn annoys me, that’s a good one.

17. Some many teams showing lots of weaknesses now is the time to play smart. Our identity now is strong midfield play. Along with tough defenders and jozy and buddle holding up the ball it is our wc to lose.

18. Good point. We are playing Ghana and, if successful, we play the winner of Uruguay-South Korea match for the right to play in the semis. These games will not be easy, but they could beat any of these three teams and any of these three teams could beat them.

19. I will be severly disappointed if USA is not still ether by the semis.

BTW Altidore and Bradley are future stars.

20. Good comments; yes the USA have shown some weaknesses but there are also numerous positives. I’m pretty pleased to see the US score 6 goals (wait I mean 4) in 3 games against solid teams. And in the Confed Cup shows that you can struggle in the group round and still go on to do great things in the elimination rounds.

… but what do you have against red cars? 😉

21. Altidore — Buddle is our best pairing up top. However, against the speedy Ghanaians, Findley is a possibility. Not sure who we’ll see paired with Bradley. My money would be on Clark.

22. Sure. We beat portugal 4-0 no question.

I was terrified before slovenia, then terrified again before algeria. I’ll be terrified when we play serbia or ghana or germany.

Obviously no semifinal will ever be a breeze. But if we’re gonna get ahead of ourselves, I’m just saying I’d rather see portugal than brazil.

Either way if we’re still alive that late, I’ll have quit my job or been fired and my hair and skin will be permanently dyed red white and blue.

23. I think that the U.S. Could advance to the semi’s if they play like they did today. we were patient, and kept peppering in on goal. I guess Patience is a Virtue. I have to admit I was worried about Johnny B in the back but He was Solid as well as DeMerit! Edu did well Benny I have always like his style of play, and Bradley was very patient and was key in the match. Now we shall see who we face.

24. You ask: “Why did it take us until stoppage time to get 1 goal against Algeria?”

Algeria gave up TWO goals in 3 games. Zero to England and one to Slovenia. The goal to Slovenia came after Algeria had a man sent off and on what many people consider to be a goalkeeping blunder.

So, instead of bertaing our boys for scoring only one goal and scoring in stoppage time, maybe you should congratulate them for solving the riddle that England and Slovenia could not.

As for the small details, consider this:

1. We are undefeated.

2. Our goals have all come from the run of play.

3. No red cars through 3 games.

I would say that we have “polished” quite a bit since last summer.

Your observations about Michael Bradley are ridiculous. He is a STUD!

25. I’m feeling this lineup:

———————-Altidore———————

Dempsey————————————-Donovan

————-Feilhaber——–Bradley————–

————————Edu————————

Bocanegra——-Onyewu——–DeMerit—-Cherundolo

———————–Howard———————-

I’m think I posted this yesterday, but whatever. We keep the two tight, compact, organized lines of four that make it tough for teams to dribble or pass their way right up the middle. The twist is that with Edu, we put more pressure on central attacking midfielders, playmakers, wingers pushing into the middle, or anyone with a good shot from distance that operates in that space(Carlos Costly – Honduras, Walter Birsa – Slovenia, Kaka – Brazil). Edu showed great ability to win the ball and passed it well enough from what I saw, occasionally getting into the attack. Feilhaber also electrified the attack today, even more so than he did against Slovenia, making good runs and passes in the attack while showing some of his usual bite on the defensive end, which was especially important when Edu came off.

I could also see Bradley going back to the Altidore-Findley pairing up top, but Findley has so far shown a lack of good decision making and , sometimes, confidence is a real issue. Gomez and Buddle had their moments, but Herculez showed that when he’s away from goal he’s not quite as effective and Edson’s best moment was probably when he first got the ball and managed to spring Feilhaber, but never really did anything of not afterwards.

In general, the USA’s attack was better today, with combinations and passing plays that were quite impressive and their defensive players put forth a valiant effort.

26. I was gonna say it is time to give Bob the respect he has earned. With his A-Team he has finished top of WC qualifying, won a Gold Cup, finished top in the WC group stage, and made it to the Confed cup final. That is a pretty good record. I don’t think he should have another cycle but this may be the best 4 years this team has ever had.

27. Presumably, Germany will beat Ghana, so we’ll have either Ghana, Serbia, or Australia. Australia we know we will beat, Ghana there is the revenge factor, and Serbia hasn’t impressed me very much this tournament. All manageable games. Then Uruguay or South Korea, the latter of which would be a piece of cake. Uruguay would be tough, but winnable. Then LOOK- we’re in the SEMIS!!!!! At that point, anything can happen.

Sure, it’s not even close to being in the bag, especially if we get Germany. But it is certainly possible. The U.S. CAN make it to the semis. Will we? Time will tell.

28. They can certainly go to the semi’s. Uruguay, S. Korea, Germany, Serbia, and Ghana are all beatable teams.

Once you get into the Semi’s, they would see Spain, Brazil, or Netherlands. I know they beat Spain and almost Brazil, but the stakes would be so high I couldn’t see the US beating those teams, or even force an extra time situation

29. I disagree with the whole Bradley standing there thing, and even if he did, Edu is right behind him to mop things up for a reason.