By AVI CREDITOR
Despite his name popping up in British tabloids for all the wrong reasons, Wayne Rooney got back to doing what he does best: Scoring goals.
Rooney scored the opening goal of England's 3-1 victory over Switzerland in 2012 European Championship qualifying on Tuesday, helping England maintain a perfect record in Group G through two matches.
Adam Johnson and Darren Bent tallied the other goals for the Three Lions, who lost Arsenal winger Theo Walcott to an ankle injury on the same play that Rooney scored.
Elsewhere in Euro qualifying:
FRANCE RESPONDS TO OPENING LOSS
After a humiliating loss at the hands of Belarus in its opening Group D qualifying match, France got back on track with a 2-0 victory over Bosnia-Herzegovina.
Karim Benzema scored the game-winner in the 72nd minute, and Florent Malouda added an insurance goal six minutes later to give Laurent Blanc his first competitive victory as France's manager.
As for the other results of note:
- Slovakia 1, Russia 0 – Miroslav Stoch's 27th-minute goal gave Slovakia a surprise win in Moscow.
- Germany 6, Azerbaijan 1 – Miroslav Klose's brace lifted the Germans to an easy victory.
- Turkey 3, Belgium 2 – Arda Turan's 78th-minute winner helped Turkey keep pace with Germany in Group A.
- Armenia 2, Macedonia 2 – Former Major League Soccer striker Yura Movsisyan scored the opening goal for Armenia.
- Norway 1, Portugal 0 – Eric Huseklepp's 21st-minute strike dealt Portugal its second straight shock result after its opening 4-4 draw with Cyprus.
- Lithuania 1, Czech Republic 0 – The Czechs were upset at home, missing a golden chance to level the score when Milan Baros had his 40th-minute penalty kick saved.
- Netherlands 2, Finland 1 – Klaas Jan Huntelaar scored twice in the first 17 minutes to lead the World Cup runners-up.
- Montenegro 1, Bulgaria 0 – D.C. United Designated Player Branko Boskovic got the start and helped his side to its second consecutive 1-0 victory. Bulgaria coach Stanimir Stoilov resigned after the match.
What do you think has been the biggest surprise of Euro qualifying so far? Think France will right the ship after getting its first win under Blanc? Wish Movsisyan still qualified to play for the United States?
Share your thoughts below.