By FRANCO PANIZO
A pair of American goalkeepers enjoyed strong performances this weekend, helping pave the way for results in two of the weekend's biggest matches.
Brad Friedel and Tim Howard helped Aston Villa and Everton, respectively, in matches against two of the more talented teams in the Premier League. Friedel made four saves as Aston Villa held Chelsea scoreless in a 0-0 draw. Howard came up with six in Everton's 2-0 Merseyside Derby win against Liverpool.
It wasn't just the goalkeepers that shone. Sammy Ochoa was the lone Americans Abroad goalscorer this weekend, coming off the bench and heading home the winner in Estudiantes Tecos U.A. de G.'s 2-1 victory over Atlas.
Here is how the Americans Abroad did this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and and made six saves in Everton's 2-0 win vs. Liverpool on Sunday.
- Clint Dempsey started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Fulham's 2-1 loss vs. Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday.
- Eddie Johnson came off the bench and played 6 minutes for Fulham.
- Brad Friedel started, played 90 minutes and made four saves in Aston Villa's 0-0 draw vs. Chelsea on Saturday.
- Brad Guzan dressed but did not play for Aston Villa.
- Eric Lichaj dressed but did not play for Aston Villa.
- Marcus Hahnemann started, played 90 minutes and made three saves in Wolverhampton Wanderers' 1-1 draw vs. West Ham United on Saturday.
- Jonathan Spector did not dress in West Ham United's 1-1 draw vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday.
- Stuart Holden started and played 90 minutes in Bolton Wanderers' 2-1 win vs. Stoke City on Saturday.
- Conor Doyle dressed but did not play in Derby County's 3-0 win vs. Preston North End on Saturday.
- Zak Whitbread did not dress in Norwich City's 0-0 draw vs. Queens Park Rangers on Saturday. He is recovering from a calf injury.
- Frank Simek started and played 90 minutes in Carlisle United's 2-1 loss vs. Exeter City on Saturday.
- Mike Grella came off the bench and played 45 minutes for Carlisle United.
- Anton Peterlin did not dress in Plymouth Argyle's 2-0 loss vs. Notts County on Saturday.
- Maurice Edu started, played 87 minutes and received a yellow card in Rangers' 4-1 win vs. Motherwell on Saturday.
- Dominic Cervi did not dress in Celtic's 2-1 win vs. Dundee United on Sunday.
- Jozy Altidore and Villarreal play Hercules on Monday.
- Oguchi Onyewu did not dress in AC Milan's 3-1 win vs. Chievo Verona on Saturday.
- Steve Cherundolo started and played 90 minutes in Hannover 96's 3-0 loss vs. Bayern Munich on Saturday.
- DaMarcus Beasley dressed but did not play for Hannover 96.
- Michael Bradley started and played 90 minutes in Borussia Moenchengladbach's 3-2 loss vs. TSG Hoffenheim on Sunday.
- Jermaine Jones did not dress in Schalke 04's 2-2 draw vs. VfB Stuttgart on Saturday. He was suspended for the game for an ejection in the club's last game.
- Ricardo Clark did not dress in Eintracht Frankfurt's 3-0 loss vs. Kaiserslautern on Sunday.
- Daniel Williams dressed but did not play in SC Freiburg's 2-1 loss vs. Werder Bremen on Saturday.
- Kenny Cooper did not dress in TSV 1860 Munich's 0-0 draw vs. RW Oberhausen on Sunday. He is recovering from an ankle injury.
- David Yeldell and MSV Duisburg play Arminia Bielefeld on Monday.
- Luis Robles started, played 90 minutes and made five saves in Karlsruhe's 2-0 loss vs. VfL Bochum on Saturday.
- Amaechi Igwe did not dress in FC Ingolstadt 04's 2-1 loss vs. Alemania Aachen on Sunday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Carlos Bocanegra started and played 90 minutes in St Etienne's 2-1 loss vs. Nice on Sunday.
- Charlie Davies did not dress in Sochaux's 2-0 loss vs. Montpellier on Saturday.
- Quentin Westberg dressed but did not play in Evian Thonon Gaillard's 0-0 draw vs. Angers on Friday.
- Freddy Adu did not dress in Aris Salonika's 4-0 loss vs. AEK Athens on Sunday.
- Sacha Kljestan dressed but did not play in RSC Anderlecht's 1-0 loss vs. Cercle Brugge on Sunday.
- Michael Parkhurst started and played 90 minutes in FC Nordsjaelland's 1-1 draw vs. Brondby on Sunday.
- Marcus Tracy did not dress in Aalborg BK's 1-0 loss vs. Sonderjyske on Saturday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Chris Rolfe did not dress for Aalborg BK. He is recovering from a hamstring injury.
- Benny Feilhaber and AGF Aarhus play Hjorring on Monday.
- Alejandro Bedoya and Orebro SK's match against GAIS was postponed to Wednesday.
- Ryan Miller started and played 90 minutes in Halmstads BK's 2-0 loss vs. Mjallby.
- Clarence Goodson started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in IK Start's 3-3 draw vs. Kongsvinger on Sunday.
- Hunter Freeman did not dress for IK Start.
- Mikkel Diskerud started and played 90 minutes in Stabaek IF's 2-1 loss vs. Haugesund on Sunday.
- Steve Clark dressed but did not play Honefoss BK's 2-0 loss vs. Rosenborg on Sunday.
- Jose Torres came off the bench and played 35 minutes in Pachuca's 1-1 draw vs. Morelia on Saturday.
- Herculez Gomez came off the bench and played 27 minutes for Pachuca.
- Marco Vidal started and played 90 minutes for Pachuca.
- Edgar Castillo came off the bench and played 15 minutes in San Luis' 3-2 win vs. Queretaro on Saturday.
- Sammy Ochoa came off the bench, played 12 minutes and scored a GOAL in Estudiantes Tecos U.A. de G.'s 2-1 win vs. Atlas on Friday.
- Sonny Guadarrama came off the bench and played 6 minutes in Atlante's 1-1 draw vs. Tigres UANL on Saturday.
What do you think of these performances? Surprised to see Friedel and Aston Villa hold Chelsea scoreless? Are Everton and Howard ready to bounce back after their slow start? Impressed by Ochoa's goal?
Share your thoughts below.