Soccer Saturday: Your Running Commentary

KyleBeckerman (GettyImages)

European club soccer is taking a break this weekend for international fixtures, but that doesn't mean there aren't matches to watch.

American soccer fans will plenty to watch, with the U.S. national team facing Poland and MLS games rounding out the day. European Championship qualifying was in full swing on Friday, but France takes on Romania in a key tilt.

MLS kicks things off today with the first-place New York Red Bulls taking on Real Salt Lake. The Kansas city Wizards are also trying to keep their playoff hopes alive by beating a Seattle side coming off a stirring U.S. Open Cup final victory on Tuesday.

If you will be watching today's action, please feel free to share your thoughts, opinions and some play-by-play in the comments section below.

Enjoy the action.

Comments

1. I’m guessing that Ives is waiting for the story to play out so he can get the facts. Good journalists are not always the first to report something.

2. Absolutely I know, but I am also a grown man and not some 19 year-old frat dude. I have three little kids, so I also make sure that people who drive them around have licenses and clean records, too.

Seems to me that in light of past events, Charlie would be a bit more cautious. Then again, some people never learn.

3. SBI appears to be the only soccer site in the USA not interested in the Davies story. If he had made an entry about Davies, I’m sure this thread would have remained focus on soccer.

4. I was curious about this too. I know nothing about French laws, but it would seem they probably have some type of obstruction of justice law for lying to police during an investigation. Whether it is enforced in a situation like this is another matter.

Also, why do we know nothing about the driver in the fatal wreck that almost killed Davies? According to her friends, she was drunk that night, yet there is no mention of her in any media stories. Davies needs new friends. So many people, like some of the posters above, think you can ride along in a car at 125mph or ride with a drunken driver because it’s fun and it’s not your fault. Then when something terrible happens, it’s just a tragic accident. It’s called responsibility. If you’re in the vehicle with someone who is driving recklessly, you have the responsibility to tell them to stop. You’re risking your life and the lives of everyone else on the roadway.

5. I wonder if Davies will face other legal problems for lying to the police…

Anyway, any day the US national team plays I am happy. Poland is a team they need to beat at home. USA!!!

6. I’ve sped, but nowhere near 100mph, and I also haven’t been in a crash that killed a person. This is incredibly stupid anyway you slice it. It doesn’t even matter that he wasn’t driving. Its not that hard to ask someone to slow down, especially when you’ve been in a fatal accident just a year earlier.

7. Good thing everyone jumped to judgment.

New story out has CD as the passenger, and he was laying down in the passenger seat, unaware of the speed. He took the fall for his teammate, Faty, who has corroborated the story and apologized.

8. Big difference between activities that are harmful to oneself and those that are harmful to others. I have ZERO tolerance for people who drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

9. You need to calm down a bit.

Accidents are just that, accidents. They happen at any speed, anywhere.

Do you know people who smoke? Who drink excessively? Who eat trans fats? Who do anything that is dangerous to themselves? Smoking kills more people than driving at higher speeds, yet I doubt you are “disgusted” by those people.

So shame on YOU, get off your pedestal.

10. are you kidding me?!? Not once but twice that you have been involved with ppl who has lost their lives!?! And you still drive recklessly when you get the chance? Am I hearing you correctly? Coming from a person who knew someone that was lost in an “accident” cuz someone else was having “fun in an appropriate manner” You disgust me. Shame on you.

11. Bad decision yes, but in no way is his career over. Give me a break. Comments like yours make me want to stay away from this site.

12. Well good thing he has you here to jump to conclusions and lend your professional expertise.

Get off your high horse dude. Obviously made a mistake one way or another, but making broad assumptions based off little to no information is a bit ridiculous.

13. Now he and Jacques Faty say that Faty was driving and Davies was trying to cover for him. Faty was apparently driving with a suspended license.

This is almost worse. Why would Davies get in a car with a guy whose license is suspended and is apparently not a safe driver?

14. You could hit 125 in a Q7 without even noticing you were going that fast. If CD was out in a rural area, I have no issue with this.

Most of us have hit close to that at some point in our lives. He was just unlucky enough to get caught doing it.

15. I agree. It would be one thing if he had never been in the first accident, but this doesn’t seem good. Forget soccer Charlie, get healthy.

16. There are 2 FSC channels.

FSC- Which now shows some games in HD, but to be honest they don’t appear to be true HD.

FSC Plus- Is all HD from what I am told, although I have never seen this channel and cannot comment. It’s like an extra 15 or 20 per month for just FSC Plus with Comcast.

17. He may be doing this because he has come to the slow realization that he will NEVER be the player he was before the accident. He needs some professional assistance via a licensed clinical psychologist who specializes in grief and loss.