Soccer Sunday: Your Running Commentary

Didier Drogba (ISIphotos.com)

London rivals Chelsea and Arsenal square off today in the marquee match of the weekend and today's can't-miss tilt.

The Blues will be looking to extend their lead on first place in the Premier League while the Gunners will be trying to move into second place int he table.

There are plenty of intriguing match-ups on TV today, including Napoli taking on Roma, Sevilla facing Atletico Madrid and Inter Milan meeting Juventus in Serie's top match of the weekend. MLS has its own rivalry on tap, with the Los Angeles Galaxy meeting Chivas USA.

If you will be watching today's action, please feel free to share your thoughts, opinion and some play-by-play in the comments section below.

Enjoy the action (Today's TV Schedule is after the jump):

TODAY'S TV SCHEDULE

8:30am- Fox Soccer Plus- Manchester City vs. Newcastle United

(*) 9am- Fox Soccer Channel- Napoli vs. AS Roma

9am- ESPN3.com- Fiorentina vs. Palermo

9:30am- ESPN3.com- VfB Stuttgart vs. Eintracht Frankfurt

10:30am- Fox Soccer Plus- West Brom vs. Bolton (Delayed)

10:30am- ESPN3.com- PSV Eindhoven vs. VVV Venlo

(*) 11am- Fox Soccer Channel/FSE- Chelsea vs. Arsenal

(*) 11am- ESPN3.com- Sevilla vs. Atletico Madrid

11am- DirecTV- Getafe vs. Hercules

11am- DirecTV- Villarreal vs. Racing Santander

11am- DirecTV- Almeria vs. Malaga

11:30am- ESPN3.com- Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich

12:55pm- ESPN Deportes- Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich (Delayed)

(*) 1pm- GolTV- Barcelona vs. Mallorca

1pm- Telemundo- UNAM Pumas vs. Morelia

1pm- FSE/Azteca America- Puebla vs. Queretaro

(*) 2:45pm- Fox Soccer Channel- Inter Milan vs. Juventus

3pm- ESPN2- Real Madrid vs. Deportivo La Coruna

3pm- Fox Soccer Plus- Stade Rennes vs. Toulouse

3:30pm- GolTV- Nacional vs. Liverpool

5:55pm- ESPNDeportes/Azteca America- Cruz Azul vs. Club America

(*) 8pm- ESPN2- Chivas USA vs. Los Angeles Galaxy

—————-

Comments

1. Newcastle got straight robbed today. Atkinson was horrible, and how De Jong doesn’t ever get a red card, I don’t know. I NEVER wish bad things on other players, even ones I don’t like, but I hope De Jong gets a leg snapped. Only then might he learn. What a pathetic excuse for a player.

2. I am a Madridista so it makes me happy to see them struggle! Tired of losing to Barca.

Why was Puyol on the bench? Is he behind Milito now? He is the soul of that team.

3. No argument on Laudrup 🙂

Maybe complacent? don’t know they are just not “clicking” and its almost like they expect teams to be scared of them 🙂

Messi, absolutely not – he got the gola – but he has not been as dominant so far this year, maybe an injury they are keeping quiet about?

Either way at Camp Nou they have been totally dominant until this year…1-1-1

Thanks for the response made me think a little more about it 🙂

4. Laudrup has been fantastic for Mallorca.

Perhaps Barca has become complacent? Messi is coming off of an injury break, so that could be part of the problem.

5. Real Madrid put on an absolute clinic today. Depor has some serious problems but Los Blancos were on fire.

If Barca had scored the exact same six goals, Ives would have a highlight reel by now.

6. Chelsea’s goals against Arsenal typify why I love watching soccer.

For the record, I liked how the ref called that game, he was extremely consistent and did not slow down the game for soft fouls. He called the game even for both sides, but, due to Chelsea’s greater physicality, Arsenal might have preferred the game to be called a bit tighter. I’m glad it wasn’t, it makes the game so much more fun to watch.

Chamakh is a great talent. I spent the summer in Morocco and I actually own a Chamakh jersey, but he needs to stay on his feet a little bit more, a few weak appeals for calls in the box today that were pretty unnecessary.

7. Dude

I didn’t say I don’t understand why fans have this mentality. I didn’t say they should accept the fact that their team is falling apart.

All I said was: Liverpool fans think they are one of the best clubs in England. Not true, they haven’t won the Premier League while Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea have won it several times each. I don’t give a **** about the history of English football before 1990. Yea they’ve won the Champions League, yes that final in 2005 was the best match I’ve ever seen and made me wish I was a Liverpool fan. What have they done lately? What will they do in the near future? I’m guessing low to mid-table finish this year and if they don’t sort things out who knows how far they will fall.

And oh yea I also said I’m very happy to this happen to a so called “big 4″ team 🙂
    Like you said ” that’s what makes sports fun to follow whether teams can knock them off and whether they can come back. ”

8. I know they are tied with Man Utd with 18.
    I know they’ve won the Champions league.
    I know they’ve won the FA Cup
    I know they’ve won the Carling Cup

What I said was “When is the last time they won the Premier League?” They never have. Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United, the three best teams in English football today, have won it several times.

They haven’t won the league title since 1990. Is all I said.

So why don’t you read up on the facts because you don’t seem to know that the Premier League started in 1992

9. To be fair, I thought it was worthy of a red. We’ve seen reds given to the likes of mastroeni, Bradley, and Clark for similar or less.

10. Inter v. Juve not bad… Inter pushing the pace and Juve backline under stress from nice combination play by Eto, Schneider and Countinho.

11. “Liverpool fans think they are the best team in England. When was the last time they won the Premier League? Oh yeah they never have.”

I hate to say but this line discredits you 100%. Liverpool are actually tied with Man U for most domestic titles won with 18. Oh, and for what its worth they have also won 5 European Championships.

P.S.- I am not at all a Liverpool fan, just cant stand people who talk without knowing any of the facts

12. hahaha dude the enron comparison is a little ridiculous come on now. moving away from that, you mean to tell me that the histories of the lakers, celtics, yankees, canadiens don’t play any impact on the expectations for the club? Dynastic franchises are absolutely EXPECTED to compete at the top of the league year in, year out. While all of the previously mentioned franchises have experienced serious ups and downs throughout their histories it doesn’t mean that the fan base/club changes how they view themselves to the rest of the league. Sustained excellence, of which you cannot deny Liverpool, will and should create a sense of entitlement to the club, that’s what makes sports fun to follow whether teams can knock them off and whether they can come back. You can’t blame Liverpool fans for desperately wanting to retain what they view as their crown.