BY ADAM SERRANO
The race for the Supporters Shield will come down to the final match of the season.
The award for the best record in the regular season will not be handed out until the end of the Los Angeles Galaxy's match with FC Dallas (5pm PDT MLS Direct Kick). A victory or a tie for the Galaxy and they will finish the season where they began it, in first place in MLS. The following is the complete list of scenarios for the Supporters Shield.
If the Galaxy win or tie:
- LA will win the Supporters' Shield
- LA will finish WEST #1 and take on the Sounders on October 31st in Seattle.
- RSL will finish WEST #2 and face FC Dallas on a date to be determined.
If the Galaxy lose:
- RSL will win the Supporters' Shield (due to superior goal differential)
- RSL will finish WEST #1 and face the Sounders on 10/31 in Seattle.
- LA will finish WEST #2 and will face FC Dallas on a date to be determined.
In addition, to the drama created by the Shield, there were be a number of individual storylines for the Galaxy, Dallas match. Edson Buddle needs a goal to retake the Golden Boot from San Jose forward Chris Wondolowski. The pair would be level on goals scored, but Buddle would take the award based on a superior assist total.
On the FC Dallas side, the focus will also be in on Dallas forward Jeff Cunningham who is one behind Jaime Moreno for the all-time MLS goals scored record. Expect FC Dallas to start their starters in the match to build confidence before the playoffs.
Will the Galaxy finish the season with the Supporters Shield? Will Alvaro Saborio's heroics give it to Real Salt Lake? How do the Galaxy and RSL match up against the Sounders and FC Dallas?