By FRANCO PANIZO
It may have been a brief, but Eric Lichaj's performance on Wednesday is surely one he'll never forget.
Lichaj made his Premiership debut in Aston Villa's match against Blackpool, coming off the bench in the 90th minute to help the Villans preserve a 3-2 victory. The cameo may not have been a lengthy one, but it could mean manager Gerard Houllier is gaining more trust in the young U.S. national team defender.
Another 21-year-old to do something notable was Jozy Altidore, who scored his second goal in as many legs against Club Polideportivo Ejido in the fourth round of the Copa del Rey. Altidore, who went the distance in the 2-0 win (3-1 on aggregate), netted Villarreal's insurance goal in the 90th minute. He also had a goal waved off in the first half.
Not all was positive, though. Maurice Edu suffered what could be a serious injury in Rangers' 3-0 loss to Hibernian. Edu was stretchered off the field in the first half after picking up the injury to his left knee, the same knee he hurt back in May 2009 that sidelined him for seven months.
Here is how the Americans Abroad fared on Wednesday:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and and made two saves in Everton's 1-1 draw vs. Bolton Wanderers.
- Clint Dempsey started and played 90 minutes in Fulham's 1-0 loss vs. Chelsea.
- Eddie Johnson dressed but did not play for Fulham.
- Brad Friedel started, played 90 minutes and made one save in Aston Villa's 3-2 win vs. Blackpool.
- Brad Guzan dressed but did not play for Aston Villa.
- Eric Lichaj came off the bench and played 1 minute for Aston Villa.
- Marcus Hahnemann started, played 90 minutes and made three saves in Wolverhampton Wanderers' 2-0 loss vs. Arsenal.
- Jonathan Spector dressed but did not play in West Ham United's 2-2 draw vs. West Bromwich Albion.
- Stuart Holden started and played 90 minutes in Bolton Wanderers' 1-1 draw vs. Everton.
- Maurice Edu started and played 43 minutes in Rangers' 3-0 loss vs. Hibernian.
- Dominic Cervi did not dress in Celtic's 2-0 loss vs. Heart of Midlothian.
- Jozy Altidore started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL in Villarreal's 2-0 win (3-1 on aggregate) vs. Club Polideportivo Ejido in the second leg of the fourth round of the Copa del Rey.
- Oguchi Onyewu did not dress in AC Milan's 3-1 win vs. Palermo.
- Sacha Kljestan started and played 90 minutes in RSC Anderlecht's 1-0 loss vs. KVC Westerlo in round 7 of the Cofidis Cup.
- Benny Feilhaber started and played 90 minutes in AGF Aarhus' 1-0 loss vs. FC Midtjylland in the quarterfinals of the Ekstra Bladet Cup.
What do you think of Lichaj's debut? How big is Altidore's goal in terms of his confidence? Thinking Edu's injury is serious?
Share your thoughts below.