Must-See Goal: Edson Buddle

Edson Buddle 2 (ISIPhotos.com)

Call it lucky or brilliant, but you have to call Edson Buddle's goal a thing of beauty and a vital strike in the Los Angeles Galaxy's playoff series against Seattle.

If you haven't seen it yet, or want to see it again, here it is.

What did you think of the goal? Think it was one of the best you've seen in MLS this year? Think Buddle got lucky? Can you see Seattle recovering and winning the series?

Comments

1. No doubt, that was terrible. All JP does, ever, is run his mouth pointlessly, as if he’s doing a radio broadcast or something. Oh, Donovan just passed it to Beckham on the right wing, who passed it back to Donovan for a cross? Really, you don’t say? Is he announcing for blind people?

And then, he finally gets a chance to talk meaningfully, and he delivers this? Man. Just terrible. For as much detail as he always goes into, he just sits in silence, as if it wasn’t going to count, and then, after the fact, barely talks about it, like it wasn’t important or amazing. Any playoff goal is huge, much less when it’s this ridiculous. Nice job JP. Thank God he wasn’t part of the World Cup coverage. (Ironically, he was the lead ESPN radio guy, and he didn’t have to change his style at all. That says something.)

2. People saying no luck was involved are crazy. That was a sky-high headed clearance that bounced up perfectly for Buddle on the turn. That kind of bounce is VERY lucky. Everything that happened after that was skill. I’ve hit some dipping volleys and half-volleys before and that’s how you practice it. It’s all about reading the bounce of the ball and being ready to hit it. Buddle was, he executed, and got himself a highlight reel goal.

3. JP Dellacamra’s excitement to warranted-state-of-excitement ratio was awful on this one strike, guys. Kid acts like it’s just some regular shot; by god, it’s one of the best MLS playoff goals of all time. Surely?

Dellacamra out! (And Harkes to DCU?)

4. Possibly the best goal I’ve ever seen in person. I wish with all my heart that I hadn’t seen it, and that he hadn’t scored it.

5. That’s good news. I’ve heard some of his analysis before and it seems a lot less wordy and more to the point than Harkes’. Harkes seems to fawn a bit over players too. Wynalda used to drive me crazy with his negativity, but now I kind of miss him. If he thought something was crap, he wasn’t going to call it Belgian chocolate. I forgot to add that it was a great goal by Buddle. Here’s to hoping that were talking about a hot Fire team this time next year.

6. Buddle did not get enough playing time in the World Cup. And, he had great goals against Australia, you’re right. Bob Bradley should have given him more time on the pitch.

Instead, he went with his boy Jozy Altidore, who couldn’t have made a shot like Buddle’s if he tried.

This WC cycle, we should have dempsey and buddle or landon donovan and buddle starting up top.

7. Yeah, too many Deuce goals to choose from. I think I kind of combined the two Deuce goals in my mind – Deuce’s goal against Juve wasn’t a volley like Buddle’s was, but what reminded me of Buddle’s goal was that both players were running AWAY from the goal (toward the corner) and just turned and shot from an off-angle. In looking back at the Dempsey goals just now, I think Buddle’s goal is better than them both.

8. Sorry buddy. I was given that name back in 1983, so I think I’m going to stick with it.

Again, I maintain, it was an excellent strike. The point is that with any team you have to convert your chances, and Buddle has not done that for the USMNT when it’s ACTUALLY COUNTED. Sorry, 2 goals against Australia in a friendly don’t count.

That is my source of frustration. To be fair to Buddle none of the other forwards in the pool can score consistently either. Let’s all just curse Guiseppe Rossi and get on with it…

9. Not just a beautiful strike, Buddle’s soccer IQ has been steadily improving over the past year. His level of awareness to recognize Keller off his line from that angle, his confidence to have a go and of course the strike itself, all combining for quite possibly GOTY.

10. Dear Edson Buddle,

Great goal. Absolutely amazing. Now why couldn’t you have delivered that goal, or any goal for that matter, during the WC?

Thanks for nothing,

MF

11. Great goal. Such a shame he didn’t see more of the field in the world cup. Methinks he will get some offers abroad despite his age. To me, the best striker in the USMNT pool (not counting Dempsey).

12. its like dempseys goal against stoke city not against juventus. i dont know where people are coming up with the juventus one, the juve one was a chip the stoke one was a volley.

13. A beautiful strike… though it did seem like he didn’t quite get the control he wanted on the ball initially. The replays didn’t show his trap very well but it seemed to be about hip-level, or on his upper thigh, a difficult place to really direct the ball where you want it.

He made up for it though when he hit it perfectly! After he did, I thought “glad he plays for the US” even though he’s down the depth chart. Maybe he’s trying to avenge the stunning loss to Wondo for the regular season golden boot.

14. Luck had NOTHING to do with it. It was a fantastic strike. He caught Keller off his line and hit the ball with skill and confidence. I haven’t seen every game in MLS this year obviously, but that’s the best goal I’ve personally seen in the league this season. Agree with A.S., very reminiscent of Dempsey’s goal against Juventus.

15. Right. It may be improbable, but it’s not lucky. The one element of luck may have been how the ball sat up for him in just such a way that it enabled him to take the shot. Check out the reply from behind the goal: when the ball bounces right before he takes the shot, it looks like it’s going to bounce away from him. Instead it actually bounces straight up (maybe even back toward him a bit) and sits for an instant at just the perfect height and just the perfect distance from his body. The rest is pure skill and incredible presence of mind. Fantastic goal.

16. it may be a one in a hundred shot, but it’s pretty clear the ball did exactly what he intended it to do. it’s no fluke, but rather skill, timing and instinct.

17. Dempsey had a goal similar to that but it was before the Juventus game and was in EPL play. Can’t recall against who..but they lost 3-2 and Dempsey’s strike was on a ball that bounced knee high and he was abount 10 yards closer to the goal.