MLS Ticker: Dynamo unveils jersey deal, GA youngsters win friendly and more

DynamoJersey

The Houston Dynamo unveiled a new jersey sponsor and a new-look uniform on Tuesday, announcing a five-year deal with Houston-based Greenstar Recycling.

The deal, reported to be worth $12.7 million, includes exclusive jersey naming rights and will make Greenstar Recycling the first founding partner in Houston's new stadium.

Houston just finished a four-year deal with Amigo Energy, but the new sponsorship will dwarf the Amigo deal in terms of revenue for the Dynamo.

Here are some other MLS stories from Tuesday:

GENERATION ADIDAS TEAM DOWN RAYO VALLECANO

FC Dallas striker Peri Marosevic scored the game-winning goal off a pass from Columbus Crew midfielder Dilly Duka to give the Generation adidas team a 1-0 victory against the Rayo Vallecano reserves on Tuesday.

Chicago Fire goalkeeper Sean Johnson made four saves for the shutout.

The Generation adidas team will complete its tour of Spain on Wednesday with a match against Atletico Madrid reserves.

SOUNDERS STANDOUTS EARN GREEN CARDS

The Seattle Sounders earned some major roster flexibility on Tuesday after standouts Steve Zakuani, Blaise N'Kufo and Jhon Kennedy Hurtado all earned their green cards. The news means Seattle will be able to sign more international players for the 2011 season.

———

Comments

1. Based on the ratio of comments about houston’s jersey redesign vs comments about the youth team in spain, the increased sponsorship and the green cards for seattle…i guess I have to acknowledge that soccer really is the sport for women and meterosexuals in the united states.

2. Not terribly ironic per se, especially because Stu was gone. But I will say that I absolutely hate De Jong and the fact that he’s allowed to wear Dutch Oranje really hurts their brand.

They were once known for creative, attacking soccer. Beautiful team play. De Jong is antithesis of that.

3. Anyone else find this ironic? It ties back to the Netherlands, the team that broke former Houston player Stuart Holden’s leg? Granted De Jong didn’t play for them then, but still.

4. Gotta be impressed with Dynamo front office signing their SECOND jersey sponsor when MLS clubs that have been around 3 times as long in their markets haven’t signed their first. Vamos Naranja!

5. He went on loan to Nottingham Forest for the off season (as he did last year). Now he is in Spain with the GA team. Potential, yes. Still a bit rough, but he is only 20.

6. I’m not sure the process one must complete to get a green card. Olave from RSL got his this summer, and he’s played for them since 2007 or so?

7. I like it. Finally a club with a different type of jersey and not the damn same design. Good for you ADIDAS and great for Houston. Nice Jersey.

8. I like the new Dynamo sponsor better than Amigo Energy…just looks nicer on the shirt. But when oh when is Philadelphia Union inking their shirt sponsor?

9. Not a Houston fan, but I dig it. I especially like that it’s got the unique “rays emanating” thing going on. That makes me wonder if Portland will have tried to work some kind of chevron pattern into their soon to be unveiled kit.

10. Yep, remember Marco van Basten’s golazo from a tight angle against the USSR?!? That image is burned into my memory of him wearing that jersey.

11. I think it looks pretty cool, actually. I think the “motion” effect is cool. I like my Rapids’ classic burgundy, no need to F with it, but maybe the motion pattern would look cool.

12. anyone know how Blaise nKufo qualifies for a Green Card? is he married to an American? five months is a really remarkable timeframe to get one. (to give you an idea, I have a swiss friend, an employee of the US Government, who has been on a waitlist for five year-

13. Seems like the Sounders players have been very effective at getting green cards for their international players (this is 4 in the last month). This seems like a lot more than most other MLS clubs, or am I mistaken? Are they doing anything different than other clubs?

14. thats the hot sh*t right there. the jersey looks great. i like how the radial graphics emanate from the dynamo shield and the detailing on the collar is nice. the greenstar logo looks better than the sombrero.

btw who cares if it is “reminiscent of the netherlands at euro ’88”? more euro wannabe garbage? 22 years ago?

15. Really like the jersey. The collar is classy, and thank goodness that one blue-gray sleeve is gone. Prez Canetti is doing a great job with the organization. I have no idea what the balance sheets for an MLS team look like, but >$2mil/year for jersey sponsorship sounds fantastic.

16. Definitely, that’s the first thing I thought when I saw it. I actually like collars on jerseys. The description of the motion was quite silly though.

17. I love how they have to explain all of the meanings in it! Got to tie it into everything, city, professionalism, etc. It’s all crap! The collar’s stupid looking. What is this 1994? Let the league get thru a couple of decades before you come up with retro/throwback styles

18. Hmm… I don’t think I’m a fan of the jersey. It’ll probably be like Philadelphia’s; I’ll eventually learn to love it.