By FRANCO PANIZO
From goals scored to key U.S. national team players ending their respective playing droughts, this weekend brought mostly good news.
Three Americans found the back of the net, including Edson Buddle, who enjoyed a dream debut with FC Ingolstadt 04. Buddle, who played 88 minutes in his first appearance abroad, opened the scoring against fellow American David Yelldell in Ingolstadt's 1-1 draw versus MSV Duisburg, but his goal would not hold up as Duisburg found a late equalizer.
Also opening the scoring against a compatriot in his club's respective match was Jonathan Spector. Starting in West Ham's midfield, Spector netted his first ever Premiership goal by finishing with a firm one-time shot past Tim Howard and Everton's scrambling defenders after receiving a pass from the left. Spector went 90 minutes in the match that ended 2-2.
Jermaine Jones came close to opening his scoring account with Blackburn Rovers in his debut for the club, a debut that was possibly worthy of Man of the Match honors. Jones ended his playing time woes by delivering a strong 90-minute showing in Blackburn's 2-0 victory over West Bromwich Albion. Jones looked composed and sharp in the game, breaking up several of West Bromwich's forways while also connecting on most of his passes
Here is how the Americans Abroad performed this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made three saves in Everton's 2-2 draw vs. West Ham United on Saturday.
- Clint Dempsey started, played 90 minutes and scored two GOALS in Fulham's 2-0 win vs. Stoke City on Saturday.
- Eddie Johnson did not dress for Fulham.
- Brad Friedel started, played 90 minutes and made three saves in Aston Villa's 1-0 win vs. Manchester City on Saturday.
- Eric Lichaj did not dress for Aston Villa.
- Marcus Hahnemann dressed but did not play in Wolverhampton Wanderers' 3-0 loss vs. Liverpool on Saturday.
- Jonathan Spector started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL in West Ham United's 2-2 draw vs. Everton on Saturday.
- Stuart Holden and Bolton Wanderers play Chelsea on Monday.
- Jermaine Jones started and played 90 minutes in Blackburn Rovers' 2-0 win vs. West Bromwich Albion on Sunday.
- Conor Doyle did not dress in Derby County's 1-0 loss vs. Nottingham Forest on Saturday.
- Zak Whitbread started and played 86 minutes in Norwich City's 2-1 win vs. Sheffield United on Saturday.
- Brad Guzan started, played 90 minutes and made four saves in Hull City's 1-1 draw vs. Reading on Saturday.
- Mike Grella did not dress in Leeds United's 2-2 draw vs. Portsmouth on Saturday.
- Robbie Findley did not dress in Nottingham Forest's 1-0 win vs. Derby County on Saturday.
- Frank Simek started and played 90 minutes in Carlisle United's 1-0 win vs. Notts County on Saturday.
- Anton Peterlin dressed but did not play in Plymouth Argyle's 2-0 loss vs. Charlton Athletic on Saturday.
- Maurice Edu started and played 75 minutes in Rangers' 1-0 loss vs. Heart of Midlothian on Saturday.
- Dominic Cervi did not dress in Celtic's 1-0 win vs. Aberdeen on Saturday. He was with the U.S. national team.
- Jozy Altidore dressed but did not play in Villarreal's 2-1 win vs. Real Sociedad on Sunday.
- Steve Cherundolo started and played 90 minutes in Hannover 96's 1-0 loss vs. Schalke 04 on Saturday.
- DaMarcus Beasley did not dress for Hannover 96.
- Michael Bradley came off the bench and played 4 minutes in Borussia Moenchengladbach's 3-1 loss vs. Bayer Leverkusen on Sunday.
- Ricardo Clark started and played 90 minutes in Eintracht Frankfurt's 1-0 loss vs. Hamburg SV on Friday.
- Daniel Williams did not dress in SC Freiburg's 1-1 draw vs. Nurnberg on Saturday.
- Timothy Chandler came off the bench and played 34 minutes in Nurnberg's 1-1 draw vs. SC Freiburg on Saturday.
- David Yeldell started, played 90 minutes and made four saves in MSV Duisburg's 1-1 draw vs. FC Ingolstadt 04 on Friday.
- Luis Robles started, played 90 minutes and made five saves in Karlsruhe's 4-2 loss vs. Alemania Aachen on Saturday.
- Edson Buddle started, played 88 minutes and scored a GOAL in FC Ingolstadt 04's 1-1 draw vs. MSV Duisburg on Friday.
- Amaechi Igwe did not dress for FC Ingolstadt 04. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Bobby Wood dressed but did not play in TSV 1860 Munich's 1-0 win vs. VfL Osnabruck.
- Alfredo Morales came off the bench and played 4 minutes in Hertha Berlin's 4-2 win vs. Fortuna Dusseldorf on Sunday.
- Carlos Bocanegra and St Etienne did not play this weekend.
- Charlie Davies did not dress in Sochaux's 2-1 win vs. FC Paris in the Coupe de France on Friday.
- Quentin Westberg did not play in Evian Thonon Gaillard's 1-0 loss vs. Strasbourg in the Coupe De France on Saturday.
- Oguchi Onyewu started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Twente Enschede's 2-1 win vs. FC Groningen.
- Sacha Kljestan dressed but did not play in RSC Anderlecht's 2-0 win vs. Standard Liege on Sunday.
- Jose Torres dressed but did not play in Pachuca's 1-1 draw vs. Santos Laguna on Saturday.
- Herculez Gomez came off the bench and played 4 minutes for Pachuca.
- Edgar Castillo did not dress in Puebla's 2-0 win vs. Estudiantes Tecos U.A. de G. on Sunday.
- Sammy Ochoa did not dress in Estudiantes Tecos U.A. de G.'s 2-0 loss vs. Puebla on Sunday.
- Sonny Guadarrama came off the bench and played 9 minutes in Atlante's 1-0 loss vs. Monterrey on Saturday.
- Jonathan Bornstein started and played 55 minutes in Tigres UANL's 2-1 win vs. America on Sunday.
What do you think of these performances? Cautiously optimistic that Buddle's goal is the start of a strong season for him? Do you think Spector's play will result in him getting loaned out or transferred during this transfer window? Expect Jones to continue to play this well in the EPL?
Share your thoughts below.