By JOHN BOSCHINI
After holding talks with the Vancouver Whitecaps, Robbie Savage has decided to stay in England.
"I'm going to stay here," Savage, 36, said on Twitter. "Canada was a great option but it was too big a move for my family." The former Wales international currently plays for Derby County in the English Championship and works occasionally as a television pundit.
The news comes just days after Vancouver announced the signing of defender Alain Rochat, a Canadian international who played most recently for FC Zurich.
Here are some more stories to kick off your Monday.
Chelsea prepping another bid for Benfica's Luiz
In an attempt to salvage what's fast becoming a lost season, Chelsea is poised to make a 21.5 million pound bid for Benfica centerback David Luiz. Current centerbacks John Terry and Alex have been nagged with injury problems and Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti said he hopes to bring in the 23-year-old Brazilian as soon as possible. If Luiz makes the journey to Stamford Bridge, he will be unable to take place in Chelsea's Champions League campaign because he is already cup-tied to Benfica.
Hamburg rejects Van Nistelrooy offer from Real Madrid
Hamburg said that it has rejected a $2.7 million bid for Duth striker Ruud van Nistelrooy from Real Madrid. Chairman Bernd Hoffman told the club's website that no further offers will be considered for the 34-year-old striker. Van Nistelrooy joined Hamburg from Real Madrid a year ago.
Manchester United denies Qatar takeover
Manchester United has denied reports that Qatar Holding has made a 1.5 billion pound bid for the club. British newspapers reported late last week that Qatar Holding, which is owned by the Qatari royal family, approached United after winning the 2022 FIFA World Cup bid. This is the same company which announced a 125 million pound sponsorship deal with Barcelona earlier this year.
AC Milan loses Nesta for three weeks
AC Milan's bid for the Serie A title took a bit of a knock this morning with the news that defender Alessandro Nesta will be out for at least three weeks with a dislocated left shoulder. Nesta, 34, was forced out of Milan's 2-0 win against Cesena on Saturday but Milan's doctors expect the Italian veteran to be ready in time for Milan's Champions League clash with Tottenham on Feb. 15.
What do you think of today's stories? Disapointed Savage won't join Vancouver? Can Chelsea turn its season around? Think Real Madrid has a shot at the La Liga title without bringing in another striker?
Share your thoughts below.