2011 MLS Schedule unveiled

MLS_Primary_COL

Major League Soccer unveiled its full 2011 schedule on Thursday, less than five weeks before the season is to kick off.

The season begins on March 15th, when the Los Angeles Galaxy visits Qwest Field to take on the Seattle Sounders. That opening match was revealed weeks ago. Among the more intriguing matches revealed on Thursday, here are some that stand out:

April 9th- Philadelphia Union vs. New York Red Bulls

May 1st- FC Dallas vs. Los Angeles Galaxy

May 7th- Los Angeles Galaxy vs. New York Red Bulls

May 14th- Seattle Sounders vs. Portland Timbers

June 11th- Seattle Sounders vs. Vancouver Whitecaps

July 10th- Portland Timbers vs. Seattle Sounders

August 20th- Portland Timbers vs. Vancouver Whitecaps

August 28th- New York Red Bulls vs. Los Angeles Galaxy

September 24th- Vancouver Whitecaps vs. Seattle Sounders

September 29th- Philadelphia Union vs. D.C. United

October 14th- Colorado Rapids vs. Real Salt Lake

Here is the rest of the schedule. Here is a rundown of matches on ESPN networks, and those on Spanish-Language networks.

What do you think of the schedule? Which matches are you most looking forward to? Which matches are you think of traveling long distances to see?

Comments

1. I am really ticked off that MLS scheduled RBNY away vs DCU on a Thursday night in April. That ruins the chance for most RBNY fans to attend the game. Why would MLS mess with such a strong rivalry like that? I was really looking forward to attending that game but now I can’t because I have to work during the week. Dammit.

2. zzzzz…

Everybody plays everyone else twice. It also appear that every season has to start in Seattle. There is nothing “intriguing” about the announcement of this schedule.

3. Some of those games were brutal, in terms of hot temperatures/ high humidity. This move slightly will help (although 7pm can still be brutal due to the humidity).

4. Anybody else notice that Portland has three ESPN games scheduled and Vancouver none? Does nobody in Vancouver watch TV? Or do they not get ESPN?

5. Where’s FSC or Versus? This doesn’t make me comfortable. If either or both channels come on board, then, great. If FSC cuts out or cuts back on MLS or if Versus doesn’t opt in, then I think we’ve taken a step back. On the other hand, if this is an indicationt that MLS is standing firm on their ask price, then cudos to them. What’s FSC going to show all summer without MLS? Versus has rodeos and other crap sports, but FSC lives and dies with soccer. We need each other.

6. there is no one on columbus that anyone in the US is going to tune in to see. THere are a couple guys on new york and LA that people know and want to watch. They are also two of the largest TV markets, and best teams in the league. In terms of the spanish broadcasts, those are all locations with large spanish speaking populations. For the last couple of years Columbus was on TV alot. THey aren’t good now, so why would they be on TV? Is anyone complaining that the Cleveland Cavs or the NJ Nets aren’t on national TV?? No, because no one wants to watch them

7. I live in Oregon. Hence the having to wake up at the crack of dawn to see premier league games on weekends. (And yes, it’s possible to enjoy both MLS and other leagues and not be a eurosnob.) I was just commiserating with East Coasters that will have to stay up super late to see those West Coast ESPN games on Saturday nights.

8. Personally I like it. Afternoons aren’t always easy to do and night time gives it a cooler feeling. Who knows, maybe the attendance will improve now?

9. Jazzed about going to Philly in September!! Beautiful time of the year to go! It was fun last year and this year it’ll on be bigger with more exposure for Philly and DC seemingly interested in the team again thanks to Davies. Hope he signs after all this.

10. Best schedule yet for me. All Saturday matches except for 4. Even our derby matches are on the weekends. Let’s get this thing started!

11. Agreed, although I do think Mwanga and Le Toux are exciting to watch up top. Their chemistry last year was good (not great), and if they improve on that, their games could be fun to watch. Maybe it’s because SBI has those season tickets. Ha!

12. That stood out to me also. You’d think they throw in a couple of weekend 2pm or 4pm games at least. Perhaps they will schedule some friendlies during daylight hours.

13. Funny — but if you look at it, SBI highlighted 2 Union games…on vs. NYRB and the other with DCU. I guess these might become worthy rivalries someday, but they’re not there yet…and the Union isn’t fun to watch right now.

14. It’s obvious that regional games are being highlighted by SBI. What’s the question here? Or is this a back-handed insult of your rivals? Glass houses, DCU, Glass houses.

15. Well they are certainly starting to act like the other major sports then. No afternoon games, I am sure for TV reasons, which as you stated means you don’t get kids of a certain age attending.

I think it is a major flaw. I know people I spoke to about going to games last year really liked going to the game and then out to dinner in the Ironbound after games. With mostly 7 or 7:30 kickoffs you can’t do that anymore. Might be an effort to raise concession sales as well.

At the end of the day it is clear the team doesn’t care if the crowd shows. They just care about whether the tickets are sold. They already have probably all the season ticket commitments they need. Doesn’t matter if the tickets get used.

16. If you look at the combined schedules for ESPN and Telefutura/Galavision, there has been a clear directive from somebody to emphasize certain markets. Houston, Chivas USA, FCD, Chicago, LA, and NY get a lot of love on the spanish language networks – and LA and NY dominate the ESPN broadcasts. Columbus has zero nationally televised games currently – I understand featuring certain teams, or certain markets, but ZERO games?!?

The time slots on ESPN are poor and a little bit scattered, but there seems to be a clear message from the network – Designated players have not yet brought home a cup, but they are driving the revenue, ad value, and ratings for these nationalized broadcasts.

17. Only one RBNY home game that starts at 6 pm or earlier. Big disappointment for anybody that wanted to bring kids to the game. Last year the afternoon kickoffs were well attended.

18. I haven’t even looked at most of it yet, but I am jazzed.

This is going to be a great season.

The Sounder’s home games versus Vancouver and Portland are late Saturday games. Those games are going to be so much fun.

Like a Sunday night NFL game. Tailgating starts at 7….AM.

19. I speak maybe three words of Spanish, and pretty much only watch Sounders games. If MLS can somehow get the Mexican guy who made the Boon Boo Ree call I’d watch every time.

20. Too bad for me. Of all the weekends to schedule that game, go ahead and pick the one that me and the family will be at my sister-in-law’s wedding in socal. Thanks MLS. Gut punch.

21. The ESPN package is weak. Many of the games are at 10:00 or later and the day of the week is never the same. Ratings this year are going to plummet! Not a fan!

22. So, am I correct in my assumption that FSC and MLS could not reach a deal? I can handle watching it in Spanish, but the production quality is not the same. My kids who watch with me (off and on) will not be as forgiving. I don’t think it was a good move for the short term growth of MLS. Long-term: broadcasting this many games in primetime spots on Spanish language television my payoff for MLS, if that is the market they are targeting. Were the final $$$’s that far off where MLS had to move this many games to Telefutura? Seems a little short sighted.

23. So, am I correct in my assumption that FSC and MLS could not reach a deal? I can handle watching it in Spanish, but the production quality is not the same. My kids who watch with me (off and on) will not be as forgiving. I don’t think it was a good move for the short term growth of MLS. Long-term: broadcasting this many games in primetime spots on Spanish language television my payoff for MLS, if that is the market they are targeting. Were the final $$$’s that far off where MLS had to move this many games to Telefutura/Galavision? Seems a little short sighted.

24. In past years has FSC announced their slate of TV games with the start of the schedule, or do they do that later? I can’t remember. Wonder if they’re still negotiating. Or if MLS is going to Versus.

25. Because a lot of spanish speaking people love futbol and that’s a big reason of it and I believe it’s a good thing to have that kind of exposure for our league.

26. I am sure it pisses alot of people off but I am pretty happy the Red Bulls are going to be in 8 of the 21 games ESPN broadcasts.

What’s the deal FSC? They going to have any games? Is MLS going to Versus?

27. Ives, two questions if you can answer them. (1) what is the status of the FSC contract? What is going on with that? (2) I thought they were going to try and do a week of Northwest teams playing each other? Do you know what happen to the plan? Looking at the schedule looks like it isn’t going to happen…thanks

28. Why are so many of the spanish-langauge games on galavision instead of telefutura? Almost all of the thirty games are on galavision! and Cablevision doesn’t carry it 🙁

29. It’s too bad the Seattle-Portland tilt on May 14 will be so late (11pm EST) for East Coasters. Oh well. You guys don’t have to wake up at 4 or 5am on weekends to see EPL so them’s the tradeoffs.