Davies to join D.C. United in Florida for week-long evaluation and possible loan

USMNTJD10082009177

Photo by John Dorton/ISIphotos.com

By FRANCO PANIZO

Sochaux forward Charlie Davies is set to join D.C. United in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida on Wednesday for a week-long evaluation period that could end with him securing a 12-month loan deal to the club.

D.C. United announced Tuesday that Davies will join the club to get training, game time with the first team and a full medical evaluation while the team is in South Florida for part of its pre-season.

Davies has already agreed to a 12-month loan with the club, but nothing will be made official until D.C. United is convinced that Davies is physically capable of contributing at a high level.

D.C. United currently holds the top spot in the league's allocation ranking and as a result has first option to acquire Davies.

Should Davies prove to be physically capable, he'd be on loan with D.C. United for the entire upcoming season. The loan would see Davies return to the area where he suffered multiple injuries after a deadly car accident about 15 months ago.

What do you think of this development? Expecting Davies to impress and land the 12-month loan?

Comments

1. breaking curfew?? really?? so the south american and euro teams that break curfew and have hookers and trannies… they’re terrible people also?

2. I can’t express how excited I am as not only a big Charlie Davies fan, but an even bigger DC United fan, to have him on trial with the possibility of seeing him in black. As a DC United fan, this is the biggest move in the transfer window.

BTW, props to Lyle Yorks for not keeping his mouth shut about this. I wonder how much the hype today had on the fast closing of this deal. Ives, any thoughts?

3. I wouldn’t look too much into the trial/evaluation. Charlie is match fit, DC just wants to see him in person. He lives thousands of miles away, and there is nothing wrong with a 1 week probation period to see him in person. Unless Charlie comes in, runs an 8-minute mile, eats cheeseburgers for dinner, then he will be on the team.

4. Do you realize that he made the decision to go out and to break the USMNT curfew?

No one is blaming him for the accident or the fatality…

5. I hope it does not happen, but it would be interesting if DCU passes on CD9. Will it mean CD9 is not up for it? Is DCU incompetent?

6. Do people realize he wasn’t the driver? There’s no affirmative duty to act in criminal law, and there’s only a week argument for enterprise liablity in a civil standing… Either way, blame the drunk driver, not the paassenger

7. Thrilled to have him back in MLS and hope he returns to form.

I have a suspicion those of us who support other clubs (Seattle for me) will be lamenting this move later in the season, but for now, I’m just happy for CD9 and MLS.

Plus, United supporters deserve some good news.

8. He’s right though. Not sure why everyone treats him like a special olympics participant. He should have to face criticism like anyone else.

9. You’re right. I’d forgoten that he kind of shuttled back and forth for a while there. Still it seems like a pretty rare occurence. I wonder how the money works out. As I recall he was paid pretty well by Sochaux.

10. also, Saborio to RSL last year. On loan from a Swiss team, though I think Saprissa also still had some ownership stake in him.

11. Well let’s say he just goes back to Sochaux. (How many years left on his Sochaux deal?) Wouldn’t he have to wait or until the 12 months is up?

12. O/T: Gah, terrible news today about atdhe, channelsurfing, rojadirecta, and firstrow (and more?). Luckily some of them are back up elsewhere, and there are other options, but this kind of thing sucks for American soccer fans.

13. He’ll face his demons (assuming he has them, which for all we know he doesn’t). I don’t expect him to step onto the field and light things up from day one. He’ll need some time, but this is the smartest move he could make right now in my opinion. He will be treated right at DCU both by the team and the fans.

14. I absolutely love this move. LOVE it. Of course, only is Davies is capable. I almost got teary eyed when I saw this. God bless, Charlie. Show ’em what you can do.

15. Can’t wait to hear how this turns out. I’m a huge FCD fan, but I’ll be watching every DCU minute possible if CD9 is back in business.

Good luck Charlie

16. This further proves that MLS will always be there for US players.

In the past, MLS has signed the cadaver of John O’Brien and most recently resigned Kenny Cooper, a player that has been plagued by injuries over the last year.

It is sad and disappointing what has happened to Charlie Davies and his career.

17. Hope Charlie does well, DCU could use the forward help this year to, they may finish midtable if their lucky outside of RSL, LA, NY, SEA, and maybe Dallas (the cup favorites).

18. It will be interesting that Davies, Bunbury, and Agudelo will all be in the same league (all we need now is Altidore) and we can really size things up.

19. This could potentially be very sad because it would all be unfolding right in front of our eyes on tv.

But anyway, why a 12 month loan? What would Charlie be doing between November (assuming DC makes the playoffs) and February/March?

20. What do we always say when a player is not getting what they need in Europe? Come back! This is what he’s doing and I’m happy for him. However, it’s going to be interesting to see if he actually gets picked up. You know Ben Olsen has talked to the USMNT strength and conditioning coach, Bob Bradley, Sochaux’s management, and others and yet they’re still doing a trial rather than just having him pass a medical. I know that the injuries could have been fatal, but he may not have come as far as we have hoped. However, none of us have seen him in action since before his injuries so we can’t say anything.

21. he could be the biggest draw of the MLS. I’d pay money to see him before Henry/Beckham. Not because he’s better, but because he was Charlie Davies, and might be again….

22. I didn’t see this coming… good move for cd though. MLS is problably as good as any second level league in Europe which is probably where he would have ended up…

23. Good news and good move for CD and DC. CD has to push the restart button on his career, and DC/US fan support is about the lowest pressure situation possible in a reasonably good league. DC gets some much needed good pub. Here’s hoping it works out well for everyone involved.

24. With guys like Charlie, Teal, Tim Ream, Gonzo, Agudelo, and Henry playing, I’m actually excited about MLS for the first time.

25. I’m not even a DC supporter, but given the inherent risk on DC’s part, I find it lame that they’d have to use allocation to bring him in on this loan. But I suppose the financial windfall they’ll get in ticket sales outweighs the possibility that Davies never returns to USMNT level.