Report: Davies might join D.C. United on loan

Charlie Davies (ISIPhotos.com)

Charlie Davies quest for playing time and a full recovery from the accident that nearly ended his life could bring him to the very area where the fateful accident took place.

According to the Washington Post, D.C. United is in serious discussions to bring Charlie Davies on a loan.

Currently with FC Sochaux, Davies has struggled for playing time on the club's reserve side and has yet to play for the first team this year.

A Davies loan to MLS could lead to a permanent move since Major League Soccer only accepts loan deals that have a league option to buy the player.

A move to D.C. is not guaranteed yet, with sources telling SBI that Davies still has other options in Europe. The winter transfer window is still open on some European countries, including Sweden, where Davies began his European career.

Davies was a passenger in a fatal car accident in the Washington D.C. area in October of 2009, an accident that left him with multiple major injuries. He has recovered physically from the injuries, but has yet to regain the form that once made him one of the U.S. national team's brightest young stars.

What do you think of this development? Like the idea of Davies coming to MLS? Hoping he stays in Europe?

Comments

1. Sochaux has a large unrealistic buyout number put into the contract. MLS gets their clause and Sochaux doesn’t have to worry about loosing Davies or get an insane amount of money if they do. Davies gets playing time so now everyone is happy.

2. “I’m a Red Bulls fan and I can’t stand anytime my fellow fans or fans across the league hate other teams purely on principle – some irrational, illogical, pointless notion. Or, some ridiculous notion that hating other teams is what makes sports great.”

There are only two things I can’t stand in this league. People who are intolerant of other people’s teams and DC United.

๐Ÿ™‚

3. Hardly. I’m excited about the possibility. But DC United would hardly be stacked upfront by acquiring Davies (if that does indeed happen). Pontius, Ngwenya, Wolff–add Davies to that mix and that’s not a bad bunch of counter-attacking strikers. But stacked? I think not.

4. True, I was just trying to point out somewhat humorously without getting too graphic that bob left off what the female DC United fans did.

5. I don’t think what we believe will have the slightest affect on charlie davies technical ability. Or his ability to accelerate to top speed in a very short amount of time.

As i understand football, those things are what really matter.

6. Davies will be aquired via the allocation order because he is a USA international so dcu has the first rights of refusal. So essentially it’s dcu or bust in terms of him coming to MLS.

7. If he can’t get on the field for an mls team with a weak forward line, confidence will be the least of his problems.

Man do i want this kid to be rewarded for everything he’s put into his recovery though.

8. This would be great! He’d have a better chance of getting playing time and, if he’s doing well, he’s a big name (relatively in the realm of US Soccer) that could draw some tickets.

9. Davies riding the pine at DC? i don’t think so. DC united ended the year bottom of the table with a goal difference of -26. They’ll need all the help they need.

10. I don’t think that anyone wants it to go that far or was implying that it would, but MLS’s very restrictive rules make it less appealing to potential players.

11. Right, they’d still win because they’ve won the AC once in the past 10 years? Definitely. Lots of history to base that prediction on.

12. pancholama,

Everything you said plus factoring in how long it would take him to regain football fitness and saavy / touch. This is a process…not an event. At the two year point, one can make an honest assessment of his progress.

13. MLS has a clause/rule that doesn’t allow for a loan-deal unless there’s an option to purchase the player.

Fairly sure Ives had a tweet, confirming this speculation on whether or not they’d allow it, as a result.

So either a rule would need to be bent or there’s been some actual discussion of a buyout/Sochaux terminating or releasing him of his contract to join MLS/DC permanently (which I’m guessing they’re not going to do).

My post wasn’t in reference to the re-entry/Allocation order or process.

14. so you want Premiership rules where Andy Carroll costs more than David Villa? Is MLS too restrictive…probably…but its all for a reason.

15. I’m a tad confused. If he comes here on loan, wouldn’t that technically mean he would bi-pass the allocation list and DCU would still have the #1 spot. I don’t recall in recent memory a player coming back from overseas who went on loan to an MLS team and still went through the allocation list. Could someone clarify this for me? Thanks in advance!

16. but what happends to his confidence if he comes over and can’t get on the field? He’s not cracking the reserves for a reason at Socheaux…

17. In 2006, DC had just won the Supporters’ Shield. So Davies was essentially saying, I’ll play for my hometown team, or the best team in the league. Not sure if DCU still fits into that category.

18. Is this one of those guys coming back from Europe so the team first in the rotation gets him. Or could the Revs get their heads out of their butts and try to get him. Seriously the Revs management is so content with mediocrity.

19. I wish it was the Red Bulls that were bringing him in. DC United is going to be stacked up front and with this move they could deffently be a team to score a lot of goals and be at the top of the East.

20. Don’t have the really bend the rules. Just let Sochaux stick a massive price tag on him and accept the loan terms. It would be a massive revenue boost for the MLS and one of it’s most important franchises, even if it is for only a few months.

21. Truer words na’er spake. He may have already peaked, or flatted out along the recovery curve phsyically and neurologically.

Cerebral hemorrhage, concussions, and axonal injury patients tend to recover mental faculties, reflexes, motor skills along a 12-16 month curve – where it is a logarithmic curve. That means that you are more likely to see dramatic recovery and positive signs of reintegration over the first 3-9 months. You then see a gradual decline in the amount of gains over time as the recovery curve flats out to the asymptote / or baseline as it were.

With Davies you have to factor in that he is very young, therefore more resilient, and more predisposed to regenerate motor pathways, reflex neural loops, etc. – but a as I and others have stated in the past – his entire body-mind – took a very severe blow. It is a miracle that he is still alive, a rare miracle that he is even playing competitive soccer now. But it is troubling that he is barely cracking the reserve team at Sochaux, and that none of use have any real sense of how well he has recovered his fine motor skills, his soccer skills, and his overall ability to make decisions on the field, to perceive clearly and read the moment to moment flow of the game.

I was in DC for the game when he broke curfew the night before the game – I drove by the place of the accident several times, before and after the tragedy. There is a really massive, solid, steel lane divider – a thick railing with a buttressed cement and steel base that split the SVU he was in, in half, between front and back wheels. !!!!!!

I would love to see him blossom again – but I am skeptical.

Perhaps the DC loan idea has been floated in part by the sports-psych and physical rehab team at Sochaux, in an attempt to get Charlie to face his inner demons, to get back on the horse that threw him, to try and trigger further growh and transformation in his emotional, physical and mental faculties – as they may feel they have exhausted their resources and capacities.

I would love to see him recover and surpass the level of play he was starting to show with our USMNT. I want only the best for him, and for all of our men and women of the USNT program. I pray he continues to defy the recovery curve, and the statistical predictions, and continues to be reborn.

He made an unwise choice. He has paid dearly. Time will tell.

22. Chestnut Hill is basically boston! take it easy… and the rev’s won’t do anything productive until 2014. I am honesty surprised that Steve Nickol hasn’t left for a better job.

23. make it happen DC! i would love to see CD9 get back his form playing everyday in front of US fans..

as for MLS.. who rights these rules!?! talk about shooting yourself in the foot.. no loans unless there is an option to buy? imagine how many more players might have come thru MLS if that restrictive clause wasn’t there. in Colorado that whole Arsenal partnership might actually be something! at times its like MLS is TRYING to hinder the growth of teams.

24. I dont believe this are facts, none of us have seen Charlie play in a while and people have recovered from worst tragedies, Im just saying give the guy one chance to prove us if he can get to the level he had before the accident.

25. “We” don’t need to believe anything, and more to the point, our belief or disbelief will have nothing to do with his recovery, nor with the chance to prove people wrong. It is not unreasonable to think that he will not recover to the level he was at, or rather, what people projected him as after some good performances. Why should you have such an emotional reaction about reports claiming CD isn’t the player he was? Because they dabble in fact?

26. WRONG Martha. Read my post. In his condition, he shouldn’t have put on boots for 12 months. To be getting ANY games right now is so FAR ahead of schedule it’s absolutely ridiculous.

An honest assessment can’t be made until the 24 month mark given her injuries.

27. I’m a DC United fan and I think it would be a good loan but no guarantee that he will do much. We do not know how his spped has been affected by the accident, that was a huge part of his game. Be nice to see him comeback all the way

28. I hate reports saying CD9 is no longer considered as a quality player, I know he had this horrible accident and he’s recovering from this, but we need to believe he will be the player he ounce was, I don’t buy it and I still consider Davies as a quality striker no matter what, good luck to Davies and I hope the best for him.

29. Off topic, but ESPN just bagged the rights to Euro 2012 and 2016. Disappointing that we won’t be seeing Ives covering them live, but I pretty happy that all the games will be on ESPN3.

30. I think its great for Davis. He needs to play full time. Doesn’t matter where. He needs a year of consistent playing… then if he plays awesome… he can go back to Europe if he wants.