By FRANCO PANIZO
Hannover 96 stayed within striking distance of one of the Bundesliga's automatic Champions League berths with a big win over Bayern Munich, and once again Steve Cherundolo played a part in making that happen.
Cherundolo helped contain the likes of Arjen Robben, Franck Ribery and Thomas Muller as Hannover defeated Bayern Munich, 3-1. The win kept Hannover in third place of the Bundesliga, just two points shy of second-place Bayer Leverkusen.
Two of the younger Americans abroad also enjoyed noteworthy weekends. U.S. U-20 national team forward Gustavo Adrian Ruelas made his porfessional debut in Santos Laguna's 3-2 loss to America, and Freddy Adu started, went the distance and scored the game-winner in Caykur Rizespor's 1-0 win over Gaziantep BBK. Adu's goal was his first at the club level in about a year.
Not all was good news this weekend. Luis Robles was benched in favor of Andreas Luthe in Karlsruhe's 1-1 draw against VfL Bochum while David Yelldell was subbed off with an injury after 12 minutes in MSV Duisburg's 201 defeat to Arminia Bielefeld.
Here is how the Americans Abroad did this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made two saves in Everton's 2-1 win vs. Newcastle United on Saturday.
- Clint Dempsey started and played 90 minutes in Fulham's 3-2 win vs. Blackburn Rovers on Saturday.
- Brad Friedel started, played 90 minutes and made one save in Aston Villa's 3-2 loss vs. Bolton Wanderers on Saturday.
- Brad Guzan did not dress for Aston Villa.
- Michael Bradley dressed but did not play for Aston Villa.
- Marcus Hahnemann dressed but did not play in Wolverhampton Wanderers' 3-3 draw vs. Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday.
- Jonathan Spector dressed but did not play in West Ham United's 3-0 win vs. Stoke City on Saturday.
- Stuart Holden started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Bolton Wanderers' 3-2 win vs. Aston Villa on Saturday.
- Jermaine Jones started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Blackburn Rovers' 3-2 loss vs. Fulham on Saturday.
- Conor Doyle dressed but did not play in Derby County's 0-0 draw vs. Barnsley on Saturday.
- Zak Whitbread started and played 56 minutes in Norwich City's 1-1 draw vs. Preston North End on Saturday.
- Eric Lichaj started and played 90 minutes in Leeds United's 5-2 win vs. Doncaster Rovers on Saturday.
- Robbie Findley did not dress in Nottingham Forest's 1-0 loss vs. Hull City on Saturday. He is recovering from a thigh injury.
- Eddie Johnson started and played 90 minutes in Preston North End's 1-1 draw vs. Norwich City on Saturday.
- Frank Simek started and played 90 minutes in Carlisle United's 4-3 loss vs. Brighton on Saturday.
- Anton Peterlin dressed but did not play in Plymouth Argyle's 4-2 win vs. Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday.
- Mike Grella started and played 90 minutes in Swindon Town's 0-0 draw vs. Walsall on Saturday.
- Maurice Edu started and played 90 minutes in Rangers' 1-0 win vs. St Mirren on Sunday.
- Dominic Cervi did not dress in Celtic's 2-0 win vs. Hamilton Academical on Saturday.
- Steve Cherundolo started and played 90 minutes in Hannover 96's 3-1 win vs. Bayern Munich on Saturday.
- DaMarcus Beasley did not dress for Hannover 96.
- Ricardo Clark dressed but did not play in Eintracht Frankfurt's 0-0 draw vs. Kaiserslautern on Saturday.
- Daniel Williams did not dress in SC Freiburg's 3-1 loss vs. Werder Bremen on Sunday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Timothy Chandler started and played 90 minutes in Nurnberg's 5-0 win vs. St Pauli on Saturday.
- David Yelldell started and played 12 minutes in MSV Duisburg's 2-1 loss vs. Arminia Bielefeld on Sunday.
- Luis Robles dressed but did not play in Karlsruhe's 1-1 draw vs. VfL Bochum on Saturday.
- Edson Buddle started and played 62 minutes in FC Ingolstadt 04's 2-1 win vs. Alemania Aachen on Sunday.
- Amaechi Igwe did not dress for FC Ingolstadt 04. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Bobby Wood came off the bench and played 2 minutes in TSV 1860 Munich's 1-1 draw vs. RW Oberhausen on Friday.
- Alfredo Morales did not dress in Hertha Berlin's 3-1 win vs. FSV Frankfurt on Friday.
- Carlos Bocanegra started and played 90 minutes in St Etienne's 1-0 loss vs. Caen on Saturday.
- Quentin Westberg and Evian Thonon Gaillard play Boulogne on Monday.
- Oguchi Onyewu started and played 90 minutes in Twente Enschede's 2-0 win vs. NAC Breda on Saturday.
- Jozy Altidore started and played 76 minutes in Bursaspor's 1-1 draw vs. Istanbul Buyuksehir BSK on Sunday.
BANK ASYA 1. LIG
- Freddy Adu started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL in Caykur Rizespor's 1-0 win vs. Gaziantep BBK on Sunday.
- Sacha Kljestan dressed but did not play in RSC Anderlecht's 1-1 draw vs. Racing Genk on Friday.
- Michael Parkhurst started and played 90 minutes in FC Nordsjaelland's 4-0 loss vs. Randers FC on Sunday.
- Marcus Tracy did not dress in Aalborg BK's 1-1 draw vs. Silkeborg IF on Saturday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Chris Rolfe did not dress for Aalborg BK.
- Clarence Goodson started and played 90 minutes in Brondby IF's 1-1 draw vs. Lyngby on Sunday.
- Jose Torres started and played 90 minutes in Pachuca's 1-0 loss vs. Estudiantes Tecos U.A. de G. on Friday.
- Herculez Gomez came off the bench and played 27 minutes for Pachuca.
- Edgar Castillo came off the bench and played 1 minute in Puebla's 2-0 win vs. Atlas on Sunday.
- Sammy Ochoa did not dress in Estudiantes Tecos U.A. de G.'s 1-0 win vs. Pachuca on Friday.
- Sonny Guadarrama dressed but did not play in Atlante's 2-0 loss vs. Pumas UNAM on Saturday.
- Jonathan Bornstein dressed but did not play in Tigres UANL's 0-0 draw vs. Chivas de Guadalajara on Saturday.
- Gustavo Adrian Ruelas came off the bench and played 9 minutes in Santos Laguna's 3-2 loss vs. America on Saturday.
What do you think of Cherundolo and Hannover's performance against Bayern Munich? Which showing are you more impressed by, Ruelas' or Adu's? Think Robles will reprise his starting role? Do you see Duisburg sorely missing Yelldell should he miss a substantial amount of time?
Share your thoughts below.