Must-See Interview: Davies discusses the accident, his comeback and D.C. United

Comments

1. he has the mentality that you want.

he’s so sure that when he comes back he’s going to be better than he’s ever been. That’s awesome to see, ambition so visible.
    I just hope to god his body can match that mental ambition and let him come back to reach the form he wants.

i appreciate the candidness in the interview, that’s nice to see a player show his emotion. I think Charlie Davies just became one of my favorite USMNT players. I want a Davies 9 shirt now.

2. ivan,

Horribly?

Davies is obviously a very strong willed individual and was in the midst of recovering from a very serious injury.

Denial is also a very powerful tool when recovering from such trauma. Besides Bradley must have recognized how useful Davies’ World Cup dream was in getting him recovered, not necessarily for the US team but just so that the kid could get back to making a living.

Sometimes people like Charlie hear what they want to hear.

Do you really think anyone can tell this guy anything, especially as it relates to this topic?

Without actually listening to the converstions that went on and then talking to Bradley and Davies at the same time, no one can really tell what Bradley meant and how Davies heard that.

I doubt you or anyone could have handled Davies any better. The kid is very stubborn.

3. I love the primership, however I don’t watch much MLS at all. That being said, I will be watching any DC United games I can b/c this guy is pure heart and soul. Im talking Rocky type sheet. Serious glory in the making. I hope this guy comes back with the eye of the tiger and kills it in the next world cup. Best of luck to CD9

4. I bet the REAL reason watching the world cup was the lowest point for him is that he saw Robbie Findley on the field and freaking Herculez Gomez was there wearing the 9 shirt.

5. This may seem cynical, but I don’t think we’ll ever know the answers to your questions or assumptions about the accident. Charlie Davies makes bank. Charlie Davies has lawyers. Lawyers love plausible deniability. Laywers tell Charlie to STFU.

6. I think you find with most athletes that their confidence sometimes escapes reality. That’s what makes the great players great, the ability to always think that they could add something positive to the competition.

I think that confidence is what helped him get back to where he is so quickly. While in reality he might not be there, I think you’d be hard pressed to find ANY elite athlete who doesn’t think that they are, post injury.

7. Charlie Davies: Forward for DC United that is making a comeback from injuries incurred as a passenger in a deadly, highly-publicized car accident.

He should score goals.

…hate monger…

8. Does anyone else have trouble with Fox videos? They don’t seem to buffer, even if paused, at a reliable rate. I don’t have that issue with any other video client, so just curious if others have it.

9. That’s a bit like saying people don’t deserve to get rescued from housefires because they should not have been cooking.

10. Good luck CD9! I think we’re all going to be rooting for you this year, but we’ll be wanting our clubs to beat you including me at FCD. I guess we have true fans in MLS – that’s great to hear from everyone.

What are the odd Charlie is back in form for this summer’s Gold Cup?

You da man, Charlie

11. I was under the impression that he had just met the women that night. If Davies was drinking and then had a concussion, it’s entirely possible that he doesn’t remember Ashley at all. It’s hard to hold it against him if he isn’t thinking about her or her family.

12. I’m really torn by this video. Yes, I along with everyone else want nothing but the best for him and hope he gets back to where he once was, full of potential. Don’t hate on me, let’s have a sincere discussion here, but the hardest part of all this was not making the world cup team? Really? That’s harder than dealing with the death of a friend? Harder then dealing with the grief from her loss and that of her family’s?

I don’t know, maybe showing a little more remorse for Ashley and a little less smirking would go a long way. Yes I know he was not driving, but surely he knew Maria Espinoza, the driver who pled guilty with a .13 BAC, was drunk. You don’t get in a car with a drunk driver. You don’t let your friends get in a car with a drunk driver. Look, I’m not perfect, no one is. But when you are a national/international figure you have to be even more careful. Just the way it is.

Add to that his speeding incident AFTER the accident, and making smart decisions doesn’t seem to be his forte.

I just found it a little troubling that he seemed to be missing that sensitivity chip that I bet Ashley’s family will be looking for if they watch this. Am I so far off base here? Happy to discuss this in a mature fashion, and not get into a hate argument. Maybe I’m way off base. And I am open to admitting I’m wrong if so, but I’m not seeing it…yet…

This observation of the interview has nothing to do with the fact that I sincerely with the best for him…I do hope he makes it all the way back to the Nats, and France.

13. Although He probably should not have been called up the UNMNT, I do not agree with Bradley not calling him into the practices leading up to the WC. Anyone who thinks that Charlie is not sorry for what happened, or who thinks that we are all forgetting about the young woman who died are all incorrect. Charlie said it clearly he will always remember her, his scars are a haunting reminder of what happens when you break the rules. I wish him all the best for the rest of his career and more importantly in his life. I am truly grateful to be able to watch him play this year in the MLS.

14. What an interview. Thank you to Davies for sharing so candidly about a profoundly painful and personal experience… and to Fox Soccer for providing the platform for him to do so.

I can’t wait to see CD9 break into tears of joy after scoring his first goal for the National team.

15. I think I recall hearing last spring that Bradley tried to get Davies to recognize that his chances of making the WC squad were really slim, but Davies had trouble accepting this. Obviously, Davies’ take on it is a little different.

16. Congrats on the baby. I took my daughter at 5-weeks old to her first match March 28 2009 vs the Fire. Only stayed for a half, but it was excellent stuff. We can’t wait for next weekend. VAMOS UNITED!

17. I think my wife signs that petition on a daily basis. I had forgotten, but this video just reminded me that Bradley (a) led Davies to believe that he was still in contention until the very day of selection, when this could not have possibly been true and (b) told Davies that the reason, or at least a major reason, why he wasn’t being selected was that his club wouldn’t release him to join camp, when there is no known universe in which that could have been true. In fairness to Bradley, perhaps he was giving Davies false hope in order to motivate him to get his rehab 100% into gear, rather than just demonstrating poor management skills, but obviously it backfired to some extent, as Davies called it the “low point” of his recovery. I love Davies as a player and am really looking forward to seeing him in MLS this season–I think he deserved better from his boss.

18. So you know for a fact that the girl wouldn’t have been driving drunk if CD9 stayed in? No way you can say anything like that and be serious.

It obviously is terrible, but you can’t pin that just on him. The girl was an adult that made an unfortunate decision as well.

19. Obviously you didn’t watch the interview. Davies clearly stated that he is in this position because of the choices HE made. never does he shy away from that. He lives with his decision everyday and has reminders each time he looks in the mirror. Have some humility, Joe. Have some heart. You make it seem like he shouldn’t have a second chance. He made mistakes and he paid the price. If you think for a second that he doesn’t deserve that chance you are a sorry excuse for a man.

20. Really illuminating interview, but at the same time Charlie still seems to be delusional as to the World Cup situation / not being called in by Bradley, etc.

He was mile off ready. He’s still not ready for the national team. Can he not see that right now?

21. What the hell is wrong with you? He did violate the curfew but he WAS NOT DRIVING. You can’t say just because he was in the car he caused the crash, your’re an idiot. Its not his fault the car crashed and it’s not his fault someone died. Plus, as stated in the video, he was not going to play the next day. LOOSE CANNON? is that a joke? Joe you are retarded if your getting mad at other people that are supporting a USMNT player, please just dont comment on this site again if your just going to be bitter. I offer this comment: LONG ISLAND BLOWS

22. I found it interesting when Chuck spoke about getting back to the “old me”. That was a long time ago. Pre-injury, Chuck was a promising player with vast potential. Is that potential still there? I think so and hopefully Chuck’s sights are not only getting back to his old self, but realizing the potential that once was.

23. What the he’ll is wrong with everyone? He got into a car accident and someone died…the WHOLE thing could of been avoided if he DIDN’T VIOLATE THE TEAMS CURFEW!!!!!!
    I don’t blame Bradley at all. He absolutely handled it right nobody needs a loose cannon around that’s not gonna follow simple rules. What if he did it in south Africa DURING the world cup, that would of screwed the team even more. Charlie Davies should be embarrassed that he’s in the MLS now. Clearly he’s made some crappy decisions. For anyone that is going to downplay how his misfortune is anyone elses fault I offer this comment: YOU ARE FOOLISH.

24. I cannot wait to watch him progress this season from only 25 feet away in RFK this season. With a baby on the way, my wife and I canceled our DC United season tickets this year, but we still plan on making at least 6 matches, especially next weekend.

25. A great interview, although it remains a mystery why it isn’t a bigger story that Bradley handled the Davies WC situation so horribly.

26. Man, thats some heart-wrenching stuff. This makes me so excited to see Charlie back in action. It really is amazing to think how far Mr. Davies has come and that everyday he is progressively returning to the old Charlie. I’m a Revs fan but come first kick I’ll be rooting for Davies to give ’em hell and be tearing up the scoreboard!

27. Looking forward to seeing his progress this year. With all the players coming in this is gonna be a banner year in MLS.

28. Wow, wow, wow. His descriptions of waking up after the accident, thinking he was in Honduras, pulling out the staples…..bonechilling.