By FRANCO PANIZO
The Gold Cup may be looming, but just which forwards U.S. national team head coach Bob Bradley will bring to the tournament remains unclear. Bradley's upcoming decision was made a bit tougher this weekend as Edson Buddle scored a spectacular equalizer in FC Ingolstadt 04's 1-1 draw with TSV 1860 Munich.
Having come off the bench at halftime, Buddle netted his third goal of the season when he beat a pair of defenders with some nifty dribbling moves before hitting a lobbed shot with his left foot as he fell to the ground. Buddle's goal should help the forward's cause as he attempts to make the United States' Gold Cup team over the likes of Teal Bunbury, Herculez Gomez and Charlie Davies.
Maurice Edu didn't find the back of the net, but he and Rangers got one step closer to the Scottish Premier League title with a 4-0 thrashing of Heart of Midlothian. Edu started, played 72 minutes and received a yellow card in Rangers' third to last match of the season.
Not all was good news this weekend. Jozy Altidore didn't get a chance to play in Bursaspor's game versus Besiktas as it was postponed due to pre-game fan violence, and Oguchi Onyewu was not deemed fit enough to partake in FC Twente's thrilling extra-time win over Ajax in the KNVB Cup (Dutch Cup) final after suffering an injury in training this week.
Here is how the Americans Abroad did this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made 2 saves in Everton's 2-1 win vs. Manchester City on Saturday.
- Clint Dempsey and Fulham play Liverpool on Monday.
- Brad Friedel started, played 90 minutes and made 1 save in Aston Villa's 1-1 draw vs. Wigan Athletic on Saturday.
- Brad Guzan did not dress for Aston Villa.
- Michael Bradley dressed but did not play for Aston Villa.
- Marcus Hahnemann dressed but did not play in Wolverhampton Wanderers' 3-1 win vs. West Bromwich Albion on Sunday.
- Jonathan Spector started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in West Ham United's 1-1 draw vs. Blackburn Rovers on Saturday.
- Stuart Holden did not dress in Bolton Wanderers' 2-1 loss vs. Sunderland on Saturday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Jermaine Jones started and played 90 minutes in Blackburn Rovers' 1-1 draw vs. West Ham United on Saturday.
- Conor Doyle came off the bench and played 9 minutes in Derby County's 2-1 loss vs. Reading on Saturday.
- Zak Whitbread started and played 90 minutes in Norwich City's 2-2 draw vs. Coventry City on Saturday.
- Eric Lichaj started and played 90 minutes in Leeds United's 2-1 win vs. Queens Park Rangers on Saturday.
- Mike Grella did not dress for Leeds United.
- Robbie Findley did not dress in Nottingham Forest's 3-0 win vs. Crystal Palace on Saturday. He is recovering from a thigh injury.
- Eddie Johnson did not dress in Preston North End's 3-1 win vs. Watford on Saturday.
- Frank Simek started and played 34 minutes in Carlisle United's 2-0 loss vs. Yeovil Town on Saturday.
- Anton Peterlin started and played 90 minutes in Plymouth Argyle's 4-1 loss vs. Leyton Orient on Saturday.
- Maurice Edu started, played 72 minutes and received a yellow card in Rangers' 4-0 win vs. Heart of Midlothian on Saturday.
- Dominic Cervi did not dress in Celtic's 2-0 win vs. Kilmarnock on Sunday.
- Steve Cherundolo started and played 84 minutes in Hannover 96's 2-1 loss vs. VfB Stuttgart on Saturday.
- DaMarcus Beasley did not dress for Hannover 96.
- Ricardo Clark did not dress in Eintracht Frankfurt's 2-0 loss vs. FC Cologne on Saturday. He is recovering from a calf injury.
- Daniel Williams came off the bench and played 22 minutes in SC Freiburg's 2-0 loss vs. Borussia Moenchengladbach on Saturday.
- Timmy Chandler started and played 90 minutes in FC Nurnberg's 2-1 loss vs. TSG Hoffenheim on Saturday.
- David Yelldell started, played 90 minutes and made 4 saves in MSV Duisburg's 3-1 win vs. SC Paderborn 07 on Sunday.
- Luis Robles dressed but did not play in Karlsruhe's 2-1 loss vs. Arminia Bielefeld on Sunday.
- Edson Buddle came off the bench, played 45 minutes and scored a GOAL in FC Ingolstadt 04's 1-1 draw vs. TSV 1860 Munich on Sunday.
- Amaechi Igwe did not dress for FC Ingolstadt 04. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Bobby Wood did not dress in TSV 1860 Munich's 1-1 draw vs. FC Ingolstadt 04 on Sunday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Alfredo Morales dressed but did not play in Hertha Berlin's 2-0 win vs. FC Erzgebirge Aue on Sunday.
- Carlos Bocanegra started and played 90 minutes in St Etienne's 1-0 win vs. Arles on Saturday.
- Quentin Westberg dressed but did not play in Evian Thonon Gaillard's 1-1 draw vs. Grenoble on Friday. Westberg and Evian Thonan Gaillard play Stade Laval on Monday.
- Oguchi Onyewu did not dress in Twente Enschede's 3-2 extra-time win vs. Ajax in the Dutch Cup final on Sunday. He is recovering from an injury.
- Jozy Altidore and Bursaspor's game vs. Besiktas on Saturday was postponed due to fan violence.
BANK ASYA 1. LIG
- Freddy Adu started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL in Caykur Rizespor's 3-1 win vs. Tavsanli Linyitspor on Sunday.
- Sacha Kljestan started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in RSC Anderlecht's 1-0 loss vs. Racing Genk on Friday.
- Michael Parkhurst dressed but did not play in FC Nordsjaelland's 2-0 loss vs. Esbjerg on Sunday.
- Marcus Tracy did not dress in Aalborg BK's 2-1 win vs. Lyngby on Friday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Chris Rolfe started and played 45 minutes for Aalborg BK.
- Clarence Goodson started and played 90 minutes in Brondby IF's 1-1 draw vs. FC Copenhagen on Sunday.
- Alejandro Bedoya started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL in Orebro SK's 2-1 loss vs. Kalmar on Friday.
- Ryan Miller dressed but did not play in Halmstads BK's 2-0 loss vs. Djurgardens IF on Saturday.
- Gale Agbossoumonde started and played 90 minutes in Djurgardens IF's 2-0 win vs. Halmstads BK on Saturday.
- Mixx Diskerud started and played 90 minutes in Stabaek IF's 4-3 win vs. Haugesund on Sunday.
- Josh Gatt did not dress in Molde FK's 2-0 loss vs. Rosenborg on Sunday.
- Sean Cunningham did not dress for Molde FK.
- Jose Torres and Pachuca's season has ended.
- Herculez Gomez and Pachuca's season has ended.
- Edgar Castillo and Puebla's season has ended.
- Sammy Ochoa and Estudiantes Tecos U.A. de G.'s season has ended.
- Sonny Guadarrama started and played 67 minutes in Atlante's 0-0 draw vs. Cruz Azul in the second leg of the playoff series on Saturday. Guadarrama and Atlante lost the series on aggregate, 2-1.
- Jonathan Bornstein did not dress in Tigres UANL's 1-1 draw vs. Chivas de Guadalajara in the second leg of the playoff series on Saturday. Bornstein and Tigres UANL lost the series on aggregate, 4-2.
- Gustavo Adrian Ruelas and Santos Laguna's season has ended.
What do you think of these performances? Do you see Buddle making the U.S. national team for the Gold Cup? Think Rangers and Edu will win the SPL title again? Worried by Onyewu's most recent injury, or just happy that FC Twente won the Dutch Cup?
Share your thoughts below.