A number of places are still to be determined in next season's CONCACAF Champions League, but when those moving parts all get settled, they'll know exactly where they're going.
Despite three Caribbean spots, one Canadian spot and one Nicaraguan spot still up for grabs, CONCACAF conducted the draw for the 2011-2012 tournament on Wednesday. MLS sides FC Dallas and Seattle will face Alianza FC (El Salvador) and San Francisco (Panama) in the preliminary stage, respectively, while Colorado and Los Angeles, who automatically qualified for the group stage, found out who else will and may eventually be in their groups.
The Canadian champion, which will be either Toronto FC or the Vancouver Whitecaps, will be paired with a Nicaraguan side, either Real Esteli or Walter Ferreti, in the preliminary round.
Here are all of the preliminary matchups and the group draw for the 2011-2012 CONCACAF Champions League:
2011-2012 CONCACAF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
PRELIMINARY MATCHUPS (July 26-28 and August 2-4)
- Alianza FC (El Salvador) vs. FC Dallas (MLS)
- San Francisco (Panama) vs. Seattle (MLS)
- Toronto FC/Vancouver (Canada) vs. Real Esteli/Walter Ferreti (Nicaragua)
- Santos Laguna (Mexico) vs. Olimpia (Honduras)
- Motagua (Honduras) vs. Municipal (Guatemala)
- Metapan (El Salvador) vs. Caribbean Football Union champion
- Morelia/Pumas (Mexican Clausura runner-up) vs. Carribean Football Union runner-up
- Herediano (Costa Rica) vs. Caribbean Football Union third place
- Los Angeles Galaxy
- Alajuelense (Costa Rica)
- Mexican Clausura runner-up/CFU runner-up
- Colorado Rapids
- Real Espana (Honduras)
- Santos Laguna/Olimpia
- Metapan/CFU champion
- Tauro (Panama)
- Morelia/Pumas (Mexican Clausura winner)
- Alianza FC/FC Dallas
- Canadian champion/Nicaraguan champion
- Monterrey (Mexico)
- Communicaciones (Guatemala)
- San Francisco/Seattle
- Herediano/CFU third-place
What do you think about the preliminary matchups for Dallas and Seattle? Which group do you see being the toughest? Based on what we know of the draw, how do you see the MLS teams faring?
Share your thoughts below.
Yes, because MLS teams have actually done what in Concacaf. Costa Rica has had one team go to the World Club tournament (Saprissa) and 2 teams win Concacaf (Alajuela and Cartago) and play the Comebol Champs before the was a Club tournament. MLS? (crickets….). RSL couldn’t even keep a tie at home