Who will win the UEFA Champions League final?

ManU Logo Barca Logo

Manchester United and Barcelona have been down this road before.

Two years ago the two powers of European soccer met in the UEFA Champions League final in Rome, with the Spanish side coming away with a 2-0 victory and all the glory. After Barcelona finished off rival Real Madrid and Manchester United cruised past Schalke in the semifinals this week, they're set to do battle again on the same stage, this time at Wembley Stadium in London.

Which club do you see lifting the trophy after the final whistle? Cast your vote here:

Who do you see winning the Champions League final? What will be the difference?

Comments

1. Just Google “Messi taking a dive”. Yes, even Messi does it – he is still great and probably does it less but apparently you don’t watch many games or that closely. Call it part of the game, but to me it hurts the game.

2. So he never rolls around on the ground and then seconds later is fine? And he never asks that the player be given a yellow? I will give you that he does it less but “ever” – give me a break!

3. Barcelona vs Manchester United is a promising nail biter of a match. Overall I think Barcelona is more talented and plays more of the beautiful game, but Manchester United is a team that gets results and in my opinion is a better unit. Go Red Devils!

4. Barca will probably win 3-1. I only hope that the referee can keep from buying the dives of Barca so the game will be worth watching. I cannot believe Barca has to resort to rolling on the ground since it really tarnishes what they accomplish. Even the great Messi embellishes far too much. Respect the game. Play like a man. Yes they all do it, but like everything else they do, Barca unfortunately excels in diving too.

5. Man Utd is worse than they were 2 years ago. They’ve gained Chicharito and Valencia, but they’ve lost Tevez and Ronaldo.

Henry and Eto’o were as cold coming into that final as Villa and Pedro have generally been, but Dani Alves didn’t play and Messi is twice the player he was then.

Barcelona huge favorite.

6. I like both teams would really to see MANU pull this off, especially since it is in Wembley.. Chicharito has to make it happen, but i believe Rooney will score… 2-1 ManU. GGMU

7. I want ManU to win, but I think it’s most likely that Barca will. I just hope Barca plays with honor, otherwise the final will be as horrible as the Real-Barca games.

8. It’s pretty difficult to not go with Barcelona.

Look for at least one red card from a United defender. Either one of the Brazilians or Vidic. United is simply not built to withstand a quick and fast team like Barcelona. Look for a TON of fouls from United defenders.

United usually wins by outrunning other teams in the midfield. Barcelona is probably one of few teams in the world that could run even United into the ground. It’s like a team of energizer bunnies.

United’s other weapon of choice, the counter attack, will most likely not be available. The way Barcelona plays and pressures results in very few counter attacks.

And just trying to think about Vidic and Rio trying to guard Messi and Villa is a scary thought. Rio and Vidic are great aerial and position defenders, but neither of them have the quickness or agility to handle Messi. Granted, nobody really does.

9. Darren Fletcher, the Scottish Lionel Messi, will chase the Barcelona players off the pitch. Chicharito will score 70million, and Pedro will be sent off a minimum of 4 times for a total of 8 yellow cards, all simulation. Dani Alves will not feature, due to failing a pre-match drug test, Maradona ’94 style.

10. Chicharito – from unknown 12 months ago to starting striker for ManU in the Champions League final. A movie can be made of it. Or has it been made already (Goal).

11. 17-6-3 in all competitions on the road this season. One of those losses in the Copa del Rey after winning the first leg 5-0. Yeah, they’re terrible on the road.

12. If Barça stay healthy at the back (Puyol & Abi especially), then they’ll be able to withstand counters. As mentioned above, Barca will pass ManU to death and come out with a 2-1 or 1-0 victory. Dream match-up nonetheless though…lookin forward to it! Força Barça!

13. Park and Fletcher will start, in my opinion. SAF loves Park for big games, and I bet he still wonders whether the final 2 years ago would have played out differently if Fletcher was available for it.

14. I like your lineup, although Fergie has been reluctant to go with Nani in big Champions League games of late. It wouldn’t surprise me to have Park in place of Nani because he drops back and defends at a much higher level.

15. This is great, the best teams for the 2 top leagues . . . hopefully healthy, and definitely clicking on all cylinders.

I think the fact that MAN U has some emphatic and true wing play (Nani/Valencia)to go at Dani Alves has to be taken into account . . . but who stops Messi right now besides luck or jesus?

Barca the favorites, but not by as much as people are saying, especially in a one off final on English soil.

I agree with a commenter above, SAF won’t allow them to be played off the park, and even if they don’t see much of the ball, it only takes one look for someone like our dear friend Chicharito to draw blood.

Great matchup

16. Barcelona is the clear favorite, only a irrational Man U fan would deny it.

That being said, I have a sneaking suspicion that Barca’s run of fortunate calls and luck will run out and SAF won’t allow his club to be played off the pitch like they were two years ago in the final. I’m predicting a 2-1 Man U victory.

17. people point out that barcelona beat united in the finals…. dont forget who eliminated who the year before.

the game can go either way on the day.

18. Homecourt with Wembley is big, but not big enough. Watching manu struggle with arsenal, it’s hard to see how they’ll have enough on the ball to do any damage. I don’t think it’s in their make-up to park the bus and counter alla madrid. I say manu’s midfield gets outplayed and barca wins 2-1.

19. I’m actually quite interested to see who lines up for Man U in this game. Certain positions could be a toss up – right back, central midfield, right mid, and perhaps even the 2nd forward (although Chicharito is pretty likely in that slot). Off the top of my head, I’d go with a 4-4-2:

Forwards – Hernadez, Rooney

Midfield – Nani (LM), Giggs (CM), Carrick (CM), Valencia (RM)

Defense – Evra (LB), Vidic (CB), Ferdinand (CB), Fabio/Rafael (RB)

Goalie – Kusczak (just kidding)

I like the speed on the outsides for the counter, which is why I like Valencia ahead of Park. Supersubs would be Scholes (in case they’re behind, he can go in and hack down Busquets/Alves with his trademark AWFUL challenges), Berbatov, and Park (who just seems to pop up and score in the Champions League).

Any other ideas?

20. lets hope barca dont flop like fish. Messi is sick but I am a ManU Fan through and through, born and raised. Hope they bring this one home on england soil!

21. Barcelona don’t play that great on the road so hopefully United will pull this game out. Will be interesting to see the tactics both teams will use for this match up.

22. Barcelona will win if the referee falls for their diving tactics, and Manchester United will win if the referee calls an appropriate game and doesn’t let Barca get away with their flopping.