Donovan’s World Cup Winner: One Year Later

LandonDonovanAlgeria (ISIPhotos.com)

It was one of the biggest and most unforgettable goals in U.S. national team history. Landon Donovan's last-minute game-winning goal against Algeria at last summer's World Cup sent a soccer nation into a frenzy and sent the United States into the World Cup Round of 16.

It might seem like that goal just happened, but it has already been a year since that unforgettable finish. Here it is, for all of you to reminisce.

Enjoy:

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhAZD5XCucY]

Where were you when Donovan scored his game-winning World Cup goal?

Comments

1. Was playing hooky from work in a mid-town Manhattan bar…Was with a colleague who left at half time to take participate on a conference call – big mistake. When Donovan scored, the bar erupted (except for the group of Brits watching their team come in 2nd in the group). Maybe the amazing sports related feeling I’ve ever had. Giants 2007 and Mets, 1986, game 6, are in the same category.

Actually had a weirdly similar feeling last night, right after watching this clip. I have gone on two dates with this girl who I am way too into for two dates. Texted her with request for the third which was followed by total silence on her end. I was sure she had lost interest (as I was sure NATS weren’t making it out of the group). Felt like a complete loser – alone, lonely, self-esteem issues. But then, 3.5 hours later, she responded “Sure” with a smiley face. I was on the street, but if I were on a soccer field I would have run and dove into the corner flag – imaginary fans cheering me.

2. I was also studying for the Bar, by myself in front of the TV. After the goal was scored I screamed and ran a lap around my house because I couldn’t think of any other way to celebrate. Then I scrapped Bar studying for the rest of the day and went out drinking.

3. watching that highlight brought a tear to my eye, just as it did when it happened in real time. I was at home (Wilmington NC) alone on the couch but I had to immediately call several friends I knew who were watching just to share the collective magic. When we look back and the long arc of soccer history in this country I think that will go down as one of the defining moments.

4. At a crowded soccer pub in Charlotte, NC with no A/C…. greatest soccer moment ever!!!

Btw, does anyone know where one could get copies of these games on DVD?

5. Working on the oil spill down in a small town in Louisiana. The TV was in an area near the dining hall, and a few of us sat down to watch the second half. By the end of the game, there was a crowd of 50 or so people watching. When Donovan scored, everyone cheered, and one of the Coast Guard Admirals came out to see what the fuss was.

6. My office set aside a big conference room with a projection screen. About 70-80 people piled ion and went bonkers when Donovan scored.

So I heard. I wasn’t there.

Since I’m way too intense during US games to make for polite company during US games, I slunk off to the attorney lounge with 6-7 colleagues who were the hardest of the hard core US fans in the office. It had a decent-size TV, and no innocent bystanders for me to be nasty to (it’s bad, but sometimes I can’t help it). As the game wore on, I got more and more upset, cursing and hitting the furniture. I was certain ALG would score when the guy was left alone on the edge of the box and crossed; surprised that Howard was in exactly the right spot to corral the header. Gradually got to my feet as the ball went upfield, almost swallowed my tongue when the keeper stoned Dempsey’s shot…..when Donovan ran into the frame and put it home, I yelped and stood there with my arms over my head. Rest of the room was going crazy. I spent the next 3 minutes alternately bouncing up and down on my toes and doubled over the arm of the couch, convinced ALG would equalize.

When the final whistle blew, I almost puked.

Then I spent the rest of the day answering congratulatory calls and emails. 🙂

7. Haha, that’s awesome. Used to live in and work as an intern in the Fin. District of SF myself. I watched the UEFA Cup final when Fulham played Atleti Madrid at Harrington’s.

8. At my friend’s place in San Diego. I got him to start watching soccer during qualification (his first game was Jozy’s hat trick against T&T) and was with him when we watched every single game. When added time came around, I was sitting on the couch in a beer and tequila fueled state of despair. “We never catch any effing breaks…” I thought. My friend was standing up, still optimistic.

Then Howard (“good f***ing throw!”) to Donovan (“wait a sec…”) to Dempsey (S***!)…and then when Donovan puts the ball in, I screamed out at the top of my lungs. My friend dives on the couch and lands on top of me…we screamed and shared a full-on hug for probably about 20 seconds. Not ashamed to admit that. Then we realized we hadn’t eaten all day and went to go get carne asada fries…they never tasted better!

9. I was there! I was there! I went to the pregame party at the US Embassy then headed to the game. I had a flight back to the US two hours after the game. As the minutes wound down I got up out of my seat and started edging toward the exit, but I couldn’t bring myself to leave. I couldn’t forgive myself if I missed a good ending. As I stood there with my bag in my hand, Donovan scored and I hugged everyone in sight. Then I walked out to find the cab I had reserved before hand. Best sport moment of my life.

10. The way Forlan was playing let’s say Uruguay. In that case I’ll take this.
    If we could have reached the semifinals against Netherlands, I would cry.

11. What is Edson Buddle up to? He seems to have disappeared. Is he injured or something? Why isn’t he playing in the Gold Cup?

12. I took a 3 hour “lunch” to go to a local pub in Raleigh NC, and ended up screaming like mad with a room full of strangers (I was living away from home for an internship.) I still get goosebumps watching this video (especially the ‘celebration’ compilation making the rounds on youtube a year ago.) Honestly one of the greatest moments of my life.

13. +1 This has crossed my mind before. In the long run though, this was a very special moment that captured the US public’s imagination, perhaps even more than a quarterfinal loss to Uraguay or a semi-final exit to the Netherlands. It’s tough to say.

14. After spending my student loan money on a trip to South Africa rather than the necessary classes needed to graduate I found myself in CapeTown for the World Cup.
    The Night before the US/Algeria match me and a friend of mine drunkenly bought plane tickets to Jo’burg. We took the red eye there after a late night of partying, found match tickets outside the stadium and watched the greatest sporting moment either one of us has ever, and very well will ever witness in our lives.
    We were both in tears after the game and stayed an hour afterwards at the stadium and left after the remaning fans broke out singing the national anthem. The “most emotionally charged sporting event” my freidn had ever been apart of. (A friend that knew nothing about soccer cmoing into the World Cup)

15. I was taking a class during summer term and had a test that day. I DVR-ed the game and turned my phone off so no one could text me the result. I got home 2 hours after the game had finished and luckily didn’t catch wind of the result. I watched the game and went crazy when Donovan scored. I took my shirt off and was running around. I was so happy and eventually sat down and cried. Once I finished watching the game, I turned on my phone and I had over 10 text messages about the game.

16. I had just arrived in Koln. I’d planned my travels so that I would arrive in time to see the game, but I could only find it at a Mexican restaurant near the sports arena. I watched with a handful of other Americans while all of Germany prepared for their later match with Ghana. After it was over, I went into the Arena to watch the German match on the big screens with 15,000 screaming Germans.

17. As a teacher and ridiculous football fan… Your post made me laugh out loud. What an amazing day for you plus getting a job. Well done

18. I was watching the game by myself [family doesn’t watch] and by the 90th minute I was kicking myself. We were going to be eliminated. The disallowed goal from the Slovenia game was gonna rob us from moving on. Ugh. Another failed American World Cup. Bradley was gonna get canned. The process was gonna start over. Mess after mess after mess. Dempsey misses the shot just to make me feel worse, and then it happened. In a flash, we were alive again. We pulled through. We WON!

The only natural response was to scream as loudly as I could. I’ll never forget that. I’ve been to some pretty big sports events [a few Oakland Raiders playoff games, Sharks series’, etc] and never had one of those moments. It was amazing.

19. Was out making sales calls, found a dead-end road nobody used, blasted the radio and listened to the game, went nuts screaming and jumping around when the goal went in. if somebody saw me they would of called the cops, I was shaking the truck and screaming like a lunatic. Best part heard it on ESPN radio, then watched it on mobiletv on the phone 2 minutes later on the delay. Cantor’s call is great cuz he’s near balling, and Darke’s Oh its incredible gives me goosebumps.

20. I called out sick from work and watched the game at Dan McGuiness Pub in Nashville. Of course, one of the local TV news stations decided they needed to interview me during the game, which led to awkward questions from co-workers about my alleged sickness that day. When Donovan scored that goal, the place erupted. It was incredible to be around all those USMNT fans going crazy after the ball went in. Hands down the best USMNT moment of my life so far.

21. Advancing an event for the secretary of state and senate nominee of NC at democratic party HQ. LD scored, we went nuts, and Gov. Perdue chastised us for yelling so much while she was making calls.

22. I was in Vegas on a work trip…no really. Had a conference call scheduled at the beginning of the game, and I was pissed. I watched the first half from my room in the casino – and went to the sports book for the second half – The sports book had the game on multiple screens with a nice sized crowd. From dejection to euphoria, everyone went nuts. AWESOME!

23. In an Irish pub that had a Red Sox pennant in Gothenburg, Sweden. I hadn’t spoken a word to my new Swedish colleague for about 20 minutes, totally dejected.

I double pumped, like the rest of us, and sprinted across the bar to the one other guy in a USA jersey. I ran up and full on bear hugged the guy without ever saying a word.

Will never forget it.

24. I was in Tavira, Portugal watching the game next to a pool. I bought a British couples lunch so that my friends and I could watch the US game instead of the England match. Think they would have been glad to let us either way. Seeing an American who watches and knows soccer is like seeing a Brit with great teeth.

25. I mostly remember the feeling of absolute despair that was setting in for the preceding 10 minutes. I felt like I was going to puke before that goal went in. I was on a serious natural high after the goal though, especially with the way the bracket was shaping up on our side. It was possible to imagine putting together a deep run.

It was nice to be able to imagine anything was possible for a few days there.