Report: Dempsey, Donovan missing Gold Cup training to attend family weddings

DonovanDempsey

Landon Donovan and Clint Dempsey will be major keys to the U.S. national team's chances of beating Jamaica in Sunday's CONCACAF Gold Cup quarterfinals, but both will be missing preparations for that match to attend family weddings.

As first reported by the Washington Post, Donovan and Dempsey will be traveling to California and Texas respectively to attend weddings for their sisters. Both players will miss Friday and Saturday training sessions, though only the Friday session is considered an intense training session.

Both Donovan and Dempsey struggled in the U.S. team's 1-0 win vs. Guadeloupe on Tuesday. If the United States had finished in third place in Group C, and the United States had been forced to play a Saturday quarterfinal, both Donovan and Dempsey would have missed their family weddings, but now both will attend Saturday weddings and fly to Washington D.C. on Saturday night. The United States takes on Jamaica on Sunday at 3pm at RFK Stadium.

What do you think of this development?

Comments

1. I’m pretty sure all four of those guys are locks to get in. AI is one of the all-time great PG/SG combo guards. In fact the only flaw in his statistical resume is a lack of rings.

2. Ha ha ha. Good stuff. You have to admire how he can pivot so deftly when his original assumption was way off the mark.

3. HOW MEAN FOR THESE GUYS TO HAVE LIVES IN THE MIDDLE OF TOURNEY. SHAME ON THE SISTERS FOR THEIR SCHEDULING.

[Bring back some cake to camp, fellas!]

4. And what are you doing now — getting all excited about a blog –please! Congratulations! Maybe you can replace Dempsey.

5. just a thought…
    it seems like the USA played horribly so they could finish 2nd so they can have a saturday game instead of a friday match…that way, Demps and Donovan would both be able to attend the weddings…

6. Hangover 3…Bornstein, Rogers, and Sascha wake up Sunday morning in Juarez after attending the Dempsey wedding. Clint shows up in DC with Torres, Herculez, and Shea.

7. We all realize they’ll only be gone for two days, and they’ll only be crossing a 1 and 3 time zones? Jet Lag will have absolutely zero effect on them upon their return to DC. And even if it did, game time at 2 in the afternoon would only feel like lunch time to them. In other words, they wouldn’t be walking zombies on the field…

8. FYI – I am a happily married female and there is no question that my family comes 1st. I said in my post that I think Clint and Landon should be at their sisters’ weddings. However, if I was their sister I would have tried to pick a date outside of the Gold Cup. I’m also pretty sure my husband would not have minded had I scheduled our wedding as to not interfere with a soccer tournament — just like I wouldn’t ask him to do something during the Super Bowl. It’s called Mutual Respect and it has been working for me for a long time!

9. sure, they shouldn’t start. LETS PLAY ROBBIE ROGERS AND CALL UP FRANKIE HEY DUDE TO PLAY FORWARD!!!! THEN THIS TEAM WILL REALLY HAVE SOME HEART!

Idiots.

10. is that why dempsey and LD looked so bad, they were already thinkin about goin to the weddings on saturday so they pretty much didnt give a damn.

11. That’s why this tournament will always play third-fiddle. How mickey mouse can we get? I wonder if Messi will have to attend a baptism during Copa America and take off before its quarterfinal match against Chile? Let’s see next year if Gerrard takes off for a wedding before its quarterfinal against Holland?

I’m ashamed to have to tell my boys from Euro and SA about this.

12. Jet lag has nothing to do with breathing recycled air or being stationary for a long time. It has to do only with switching time zones, and in this case will have no relavence.

Now, simply being tired might be an issue, for the reasons you mention. But jet lag doesn’t mean “tired from flying”. It means being in a time zone your body is not accustomed to. Jet lag won’t be an issue. Being tired might be.

13. The USMNT threads on SBI have turned into a real bitchfest post WC. My suspicion is that this won’t change anytime soon, since it seems like most folks are intent on being unhappy with everything that happens as long as Gulati and Bradley are at the helm no matter what happens.

These same folks are much more interested in reacting to individual performances than looking at long term development and they are far to enamored of the fantasy squad and scenarios they want the USMNT to be versus what it really can be based on the realities of where the USA is in it’s evolution as a soccer nation and the real life scheduling and politics that go on between players, agents, clubs, coaches, associations, leagues and country.

I guess for some people rhetoric and invective is more interesting than discussing things like steady long term growth and growing a legitimate soccer culture in the USA–which is exactly what the USSF has been doing under Gulati’s watch.

But, someone whiffs a shot or loses a match unexpectedly, or gets blown out by Spain and all of the sudden everyone is useless and we should start Adu and hire Klinsmann and suddenly everything will be better.

Go figure.

14. Martha – I completely agree with you. Clint and Landon should definitely attend their sisters’ weddings. However, I do find it odd their sisters would schedule them during the Gold Cup. Heck, I wouldn’t schedule my own wedding during the Gold Cup and I’m not related to anyone on the team just because I wouldn’t want to miss watching any of the games. Maybe I would reconsider if my honeymoon included tickets to one of the games 😉

15. so poor the last 2 years that we played in our first ever internatonal final in 2009, won our WC qualifying group, and won our WC group by winning the last game of said group (the US had never, ever before won the last game in group stage, let alone in such dramatic fashion to win the group–which we hadn’t done in 60 years or something!)

it’s not all roses, but hardly just a bush of thorns like your self-named broken record professes.

16. That’s what fans said prior to Panama. Yes, Gold Cup is full of CONCACRAP, but teams like Panama, and now Jamaica are not simple pushovers. You win games at practice, not on game day. I would not be so worried if it were not for the attitude the team as a whole is displaying.