By FRANCO PANIZO
On a day when a host of Americans Abroad had first-leg games in the playoff round of the UEFA Europa League, Clint Dempsey had the best performance with a 90-minute outing in which he bagged a brace.
Dempsey scored the last two goals in Fulham's 3-0 victory against Dnipro, likely assuring the Cottagers' passage to the next round. Dempsey netted two minutes before halftime and followed that up with a header in the second half.
There was no reason to celebrate for Carlos Bocanegra, Maurice Edu and Rangers, as they fell 2-1 to NK Maribor. Bocanegra, who made his Rangers debut in the match, started and went the distance as did Edu.
Here is how the Americans Abroad who were involved in the Europa League on Thursday fared:
- Jermaine Jones did not dress in Schalke 04's 2-0 loss vs. HJK Helsinki.
- Jozy Altidore came off the bench and played 15 minutes in AZ Alkmaar's 2-1 loss vs. Aalesund.
- Sacha Kljestan started and played 90 minutes in RSC Anderlecht's 2-1 win vs. Bursaspor.
- Clint Dempsey started, played 90 minutes and scored TWO GOALS in Fulham's 3-0 win vs. Dnipro.
- Oguchi Onyewu dressed but did not play in Sporting Lisbon's 0-0 draw vs. FC Nordsjaelland.
- Michael Parkhurst started and played 90 minutes in FC Nordsjaelland's 0-0 draw vs. Sporting Lisbon.
- Steve Cherundolo started and played 90 minutes in Hannover 96's 2-1 win vs. Sevilla FC.
- Jonathan Spector started and played 90 minutes in Birmingham City's 0-0 draw vs. CD Nacional de Madeira.
- Brad Friedel dressed but did not play in Tottenham Hotspur's 5-0 win vs. Heart of Midlothian.
- Dominic Cervi did not dress in Celtic's 0-0 draw vs. FC Sion Sitten.
- Carlos Bocanegra started and played 90 minutes in Rangers' 2-1 loss vs. NK Maribor.
- Maurice Edu started and played 90 minutes for Rangers.
- Alejandro Bedoya did not dress for Rangers.
What do you think of these results? Think Dempsey is ready for a career season? Surprised Bocanegra could not help Rangers avoid defeat?
Share your thoughts below.