FC Dallas deals Alexander to Portland

Alexander (Getty Images)

Big things were expected from Eric Alexander after a strong showing down the stretch of his rookie season led to a call up to the U.S. national team's January camp and an appearance in a friendly against Chile.

While those big things may still unfold for the second-year midfielder, they won't be doing so in Dallas.

FC Dallas traded Alexander to the Portland Timbers in exchange for Jeremy Hall on Friday. Even after FC Dallas let Dax McCarty go at the end of last season, Alexander never locked down a consistent place in Schellas Hyndman's lineup and evidently became expendable.

The move provides another fresh start for Hall, who was traded by the New York Red Bulls to Portland in November but recently lost a handle on his starting spot with the Timbers. He accounted for three assists in 17 games with Portland and adds depth for Dallas at the wing and outside back positions.

What do you think of the deal? Do you see Alexander playing an important role for Portland? Think Hall can help FC Dallas?

Comments

1. I think Hall is much better than Portland fans give him credit for. It is hard to look good playing for a crap team. Like Santos, Hall may shine in Dallas.

2. I’m simply shocked FCD pulled this deal.

Hall and Wallace were the reason we traded for Palmer and Chabala (who immediately displaced both). Hall was nothing short of TERRIBLE this season. Constantly out of position, very poor marker and 1vs1 defender, he did have something to offer going forward but nothing more than Lovell Palmer.

I’m okay with Palmer and Purdy at RB, this trade is brilliant. We get a young, dynamic mid that can offer something now and in the future. With Chara, Marcelin and Alexander we have a lot to look forward to.

3. I agree. They need another defender for CCL. Move Lloyd to CB. I like Hall as a backup. Dallas needs to go to Colombia and find another DB

4. agreed, but i was thinking the same thing about Dax and Atiba too and they have done nothing this year….. looks pretty good keeping Jair Benetiz now!

5. i hear zac Lloyd has impressed at CB at times…. maybe he could spell Lloyd so he could play RB… either way it would make no sense to trade a dynamic young player like Eric Alexander unless we were getting ready to sell George John

6. This has nothing to do with the merits of Alexander versus Hall, this is all about George John leaving. Hall gives them another defender.

7. So why are so many teams (NY, Port) so willing to let Hall go? I though he was better then that. Am I wrong?

8. Man…FCD’s current brain trust is getting results, but I am nervous about the consequences of almost all of our recent (past year) personnel moves.

9. Whoa talk about a sh!tty trade. Hall wont help Dallas at all and i wouldnt be suprised if he is stuck playing in the reserve league. I was at least hoping they would get someone who could replace John somewhat.

10. What!?? That’s whack. Eric is a really good player. Hall … ? He’s ok, I guess. His claim to fame is the Red Bull Arena commercial.

Bad move FCD.

Loved the Santos-Avila move, but this doesn’t make much sense.

Let go FCD! Supports Shield, MLS Cup, USOC and CCL all still up for grabs. Time for some trophies.

11. Hall was a good player he needed more time to get acclimated, Alexander I’ve heard was a solid player but with FCD having so many good mids he was expendable, plus they needed this with John possibly moving to Rovers.

12. I wish the Jeremy Hall-Rodney Wallace combo had worked in Portland, I saw their Maryland team play a few times and thought they were great together.

13. It’s become obvious that Hall’s not that good of a player. He’ll probably bounce around a lot in MLS. Alexander is more promising than Hall, so it’s a bit surprising that he’s been traded. Portland certainly gets the better of this deal, although they (Portland) are still weak on fullbacks.