By FRANCO PANIZO
If Oguchi Onyewu is hoping to earn his first call-up under new U.S. men's national team head coach Jurgen Klinsmann in the near future, he took one step closer towards achieving that this weekend.
Onyewu made his official Sporting Lisbon debut on Saturday, starting and going the distance in the club's 3-2 victory over Pacos de Ferreira. Onyewu helped Sporting Lisbon get its third win of the season, leaving it in third place in the Primeira Liga, just two points behind leaders FC Porto.
Daniel Williams also made his debut with his new club this weekend. Williams came off the bench and played 33 minutes in TSG 1899 Hoffenheim's 4-0 win over Mainz. His new teammate and fellow American Abroad, Fabian Johnson, started and played 73 minutes in the game.
It wasn't all good news. Michael Bradley dressed but did not see the field in Chievo Verona's season opener, a 2-2 draw with recently-promoted Novara, while Edson Buddle was replaced after 14 minutes of action in FC Ingolstadt 04's 4-1 loss to FC Union Berlin due to an injury.
Here is how the Americans Abroad performed this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made 1 save in Everton's 2-2 draw vs. Aston Villa on Saturday.
- Clint Dempsey started and played 90 minutes in Fulham's 1-1 draw vs. Blackburn Rovers on Sunday.
- Brad Friedel started, played 90 minutes and made 6 saves Tottenham Hotspur's 2-0 vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday.
- Brad Guzan dressed but did not play in Aston Villa's 2-2 draw vs. Everton on Saturday.
- Eric Lichaj did not dress for Aston Villa. He is recovering from a hip injury.
- Stuart Holden did not dress in Bolton Wanderers' 5-0 loss vs. Manchester United on Saturday.
- Zak Whitbread did not dress in Norwich City's 1-0 loss vs. West Bromwich Albion on Sunday.
- Jonathan Spector started and played 90 minutes in Birmingham City's 3-0 win vs. Millwall on Sunday.
- Conor Doyle did not dress in Derby County's 2-0 loss vs. Coventry City on Saturday.
- Robbie Findley did not dress in Nottingham Forest's 3-2 loss vs. Southampton on Saturday. He was out with a slight injury.
- Frank Simek did not dress in Carlisle United's 2-1 loss vs. Hartlepool United on Saturday. He is recovering from a hip injury.
- Anton Peterlin dressed but did not play in Walsall's 2-1 loss vs. Notts County on Saturday.
- Mike Grella dressed but did not play in Brentford's 1-0 win vs. Wycombe Wanderers on Saturday.
- Maurice Edu started and played 75 minutes in Rangers' 1-0 win vs. Dundee United on Saturday.
- Alejandro Bedoya did not dress for Rangers. He is recovering from a calf injury.
- Carlos Bocanegra started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card for Rangers.
- Dominic Cervi did not dress in Celtic's 4-0 win vs. Motherwell on Saturday.
- Michael Bradley dressed but did not play in Chievo Verona's 2-2 draw vs. Novara on Sunday.
- Jermaine Jones did not dress Schalke 04's 2-1 loss vs. VfL Wolfsburg on Sunday.
- Steve Cherundolo started and played 90 minutes in Hannover 96's 3-0 loss vs. VfB Stuttgart on Saturday.
- Timmy Chandler started and played 90 minutes in FC Nurnberg's 2-1 win vs. FC Cologne on Sunday.
- David Yelldell dressed but did not play in Bayer Leverkusen's 4-1 win vs. FC Augsburg on Friday.
- Alfredo Morales did not dress in Hertha Berlin's 2-1 win vs. Borussia Dortmund on Saturday.
- Fabian Johnson started and played 73 minutes in TSG 1899 Hoffenheim's 4-0 win vs. Mainz on Saturday.
- Daniel Williams came off the bench and played 33 minutes for TSG 1899 Hoffenheim.
- Ricardo Clark dressed but did not play in Eintracht Frankfurt's 3-3 draw vs. Energie Cottbus on Saturday.
- Luis Robles dressed but did not play in Karlsruher SC's 4-2 loss vs. Fortuna Dusseldorf on Saturday.
- Edson Buddle started and played 14 minutes in FC Ingolstadt 04's 4-1 loss vs. FC Union Berlin on Sunday.
- Bobby Wood did not dress in TSV 1860 Munich's 4-2 loss vs. St Pauli on Sunday.
- Matt Taylor started and played 67 minutes in SC Paderborn 07's 0-0 draw vs. Alemannia Aachen on Friday.
- Quentin Westberg did not dress in Evian Thonon Gaillard's 0- 0 draw vs. Bordeaux on Saturday.
- Jozy Altidore started and played 45 minutes in AZ Alkmaar's 4-0 win vs. Vitesse Arnhem on Sunday.
- Oguchi Onyewu started and played 90 minutes in Sporting CP's 3-2 win vs. Pacos de Ferreira on Saturday.
- Eugene Starikov came off the bench and played 45 minutes in FC Tom Tomsk's 2-0 loss vs. PFK Samara Kryliya Sovetov on Sunday.
- Sacha Kljestan started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in RSC Anderlecht's 2-0 win vs. KV Kortrijk on Sunday.
- Michael Parkhurst started and played 90 minutes in FC Nordsjaelland's 2-1 win vs. Aalborg BK on Sunday.
- Marcus Tracy did not dress in Aalborg BK's 2-1 loss vs. FC Nordsjaelland on Sunday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Chris Rolfe started and played 73 minutes for Aalborg BK.
- Clarence Goodson started and played 90 minutes in Brondby IF's 5-0 win vs. HB Koge on Sunday.
- Brad Rusin did not dress in HB Koge's 5-0 loss vs. Brondby IF on Sunday.
- Conor O'Brien started and played 77 minutes in SonderjyskE's 3-1 loss vs. AC Horsens on Sunday.
- Ryan Miller and Halmstads BK play Gefle IF on Monday.
- Samuel Petrone did not dress in Mjallby AIF's 0-0 draw vs. IFK Norrkoping on Saturday.
- Mix Diskerud started, played 90 minutes and had an ASSIST in Stabaek IF's 4-2 loss vs. Tromso on Friday.
- Josh Gatt came off the bench and played 24 minutes in Molde FK's 2-2 draw vs. Brann on Sunday.
- Sean Cunningham did not dress for Molde FK.
- Jose Torres started and played 90 minutes in Pachuca's 5-0 loss vs. Tigres UANL on Saturday.
- Herculez Gomez came off the bench and played 21 minutes in Estudiantes Tecos' 2-0 loss vs. Jaguares de Chiapas on Friday.
- Edgar Castillo started and played 90 minutes in Club America's 1-0 loss vs. Atlante on Sunday.
- Sonny Guadarrama did not dress in Atlante's 1-0 win vs. Club America on Sunday.
- Jonathan Bornstein did not dress in Tigres UANL's 5-0 win vs. Pachuca on Saturday.
- DaMarcus Beasley started, played 90 minutes and had an ASSIST in Puebla's 3-3 draw vs. Monterrey on Sunday.
- Adrian Ruelas did not dress in Jaguares de Chiapas' 2-0 win vs. Estudiantes Tecos on Friday.
- Michael Orozco started and played 90 minutes in San Luis' 1-1 draw vs. Atlas on Saturday.
What do you think of these performances? Think Onyewu is ready to make a comeback? Hoping to see Williams and Johnson playing for the U.S. men's national team in October?
Share your thoughts below.