By FRANCO PANIZO
It's been over a year since Herculez Gomez last represented the U.S. men's national team, but that drought could soon end after Gomez's latest goal-scoring performance.
For the fourth straight game that he's played in, Gomez scored a goal. Scoring with a redirected effort after entering the game in the 68th mintue, Gomez's finish was one of few bright spots for Estudiantes Tecos in their 5-2 loss to Chivas de Guadalajara. Gomez's goal total on the season is now at six (he also scored last week while most leagues took off for the international break).
Sacha Kljestan also had a noteworthy performance, drawing rave reviews from Belgian press for his work in midfield in RSC Anderlecht's 5-0 demolition of rival Standard Liege. Kljestan started and went the distance in the match that kept Anderlecht atop of the league standings.
Michael Bradley continued his strong run of form in Serie A, going 90 minutes and helping Chievo tie Serie A leaders Juventus on Sunday. Bradley near added his second assist in as many games, but Juventus cleared a goal-bound Chievo shot off the line.
It wasn't all good news this weekend. Josh Gatt was removed with a reported hamstring injury just 13 minutes into Molde FK's 0-0 draw with Odd Grenland. The timetable for his recovery has yet to be announced.
Here is how the Americans Abroad did this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made 2 saves in Everton's 3-1 loss vs. Chelsea on Saturday.
- Marcus Hahnemann did not dress for Everton.
- Clint Dempsey started and played 90 minutes in Fulham's 2-0 loss vs. Stoke City on Saturday.
- Brad Friedel started, played 90 minutes and made 4 saves in Tottenham Hotspur's 2-2 vs. Newcastle United on Sunday.
- Brad Guzan dressed but did not play in Aston Villa's 4-1 loss vs. Manchester City on Saturday.
- Eric Lichaj did not dress for Aston Villa. He is recovering from a hip injury.
- Stuart Holden did not dress in Bolton Wanderers' 3-1 win vs. Wigan Athletic on Saturday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Zak Whitbread did not dress in Norwich City's 3-1 win vs. Swansea City on Saturday. He is recovering from a hamstring injury.
- Jonathan Spector dressed but did not play in Birmingham City's 2-0 win vs. Leicester City on Sunday.
- Conor Doyle dressed but did not play in Derby County's 1-1 draw vs. Southampton on Saturday.
- Robbie Findley came off the bench and played 14 minutes in Nottingham Forest's 1-0 loss vs. Coventry City on Saturday.
- Frank Simek did not dress in Carlisle United's 3-0 win vs. Yeovil Town on Saturday. He is recovering from a hip injury.
- Anton Peterlin started and played 90 minutes in Walsall's 1-0 win vs. Preston North End on Saturday.
- Mike Grella came off the bench and played 24 minutes in Brentford's 0-0 draw vs. Scunthorpe United on Saturday.
- Maurice Edu started and played 72 minutes in Rangers' 1-1 draw vs. St Mirren on Saturday.
- Alejandro Bedoya did not dress for Rangers.
- Carlos Bocanegra started and played 90 minutes for Rangers.
- Dominic Cervi did not dress in Celtic's 3-3 draw vs. Kilmarnock on Saturday.
- Michael Bradley started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Chievo Verona's 0-0 draw vs. Juventus on Sunday.
- Jermaine Jones came off the bench and played 45 minutes Schalke 04's 2-1 loss vs. Kaiserslautern on Saturday.
- Steve Cherundolo dressed but did not play in Hannover 96's 2-0 loss vs. FC Cologne on Sunday.
- Timmy Chandler started and played 90 minutes in FC Nurnberg's 2-1 loss vs. VfL Wolfsburg on Saturday.
- David Yelldell dressed but did not play in Bayer Leverkusen's 2-2 draw vs. Borussia Moenchengladbach on Saturday.
- Alfredo Morales came off the bench and played 29 minutes in Hertha Berlin's 4-0 loss vs. Bayern Munich on Saturday.
- Fabian Johnson did not dress in TSG 1899 Hoffenheim's 2-0 loss vs. VfB Stuttgart on Saturday. He is recovering from a neck injury.
- Danny Williams started and played 62 minutes for TSG 1899 Hoffenheim.
- Ricardo Clark did not dress in Eintracht Frankfurt's 2-0 win vs. VfL Bochum on Friday.
- Luis Robles dressed but did not play in Karlsruher SC's 2-0 loss vs. FC Union Berlin on Saturday.
- Edson Buddle came off the bench and played 14 minutes in FC Ingolstadt 04's 3-1 loss vs. MSV Duisburg on Saturday.
- Bobby Wood came off the bench and played 2 minutes in TSV 1860 Munich's 2-0 loss vs. Hansa Rostock on Friday.
- Matt Taylor dressed but did not play in SC Paderborn 07's 1-0 win vs. Eintracht Braunschweig on Friday.
- Quentin Westberg did not dress in Evian Thonon Gaillard's 2-1 loss vs. St Etienne on Saturday.
- Jozy Altidore started and played 72 minutes in AZ Alkmaar's 2-2 draw vs. Ajax on Saturday.
- Oguchi Onyewu started and played 45 minutes in Sporting CP's 2-0 win vs. Famalicao in the third round of the Taca de Portugal on Saturday.
- Eugene Starikov started and played 29 minutes in FC Tom' Tomsk's 3-0 loss vs. Lokomotiv Moscow on Sunday.
- Sacha Kljestan started and played 90 minutes in RSC Anderlecht's 5-0 win vs. Standard Liege on Sunday.
- Michael Parkhurst started and played 90 minutes in FC Nordsjaelland's 1-0 win vs. Aalborg BK on Saturday.
- Marcus Tracy did not dress in Aalborg BK's 1-0 loss vs. FC Nordsjaelland on Saturday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Chris Rolfe started and played 90 minutes for Aalborg BK.
- Clarence Goodson started and played 90 minutes in Brondby IF's 1-0 loss vs. FC Midtjylland on Sunday.
- Brad Rusin came off the bench and played 30 minutes in HB Koge's 3-1 loss vs. SonderjyskE on Sunday.
- Conor O'Brien came off the bench, played 3 minutes and received a yellow card in SonderjyskE's 3-1 win vs. FC HB Koge on Sunday.
- Ryan Miller and Halmstads BK play Djurgardens IF on Monday.
- Samuel Petrone did not dress in Mjallby AIF's 2-1 win vs. Trelleborg FF on Sunday.
- Mix Diskerud started and played 90 minutes in Stabaek IF's 1-1 draw vs. Lillestrom on Saturday.
- Josh Gatt started and played 13 minutes in Molde FK's 0-0 draw vs. Odd Grenland on Sunday.
- Sean Cunningham did not dress for Molde FK.
- Jose Torres did not dress in Pachuca's 3-2 loss vs. Club Tijuana on Saturday. He is recovering from a foot injury.
- Herculez Gomez came off the bench, played 22 minutes and scored a GOAL in Estudiantes Tecos' 5-2 loss vs. Chivas de Guadalajara on Saturday. He also came off the bench, played 27 minutes and scored a GOAL in last Friday's 3-2 loss vs. Monterrey.
- Edgar Castillo did not dress in Club America's 3-0 win vs. Monterrey on Saturday.
- Sonny Guadarrama did not dress in Atlante's 1-1 draw vs. Jaguares de Chiapas on Saturday.
- Jonathan Bornstein dressed but did not play in Tigres UANL's 2-0 loss vs. Morelia on Friday.
- DaMarcus Beasley started and played 90 minutes in Puebla's 1-0 win vs. Queretaro on Sunday.
- Adrian Ruelas did not dress in Jaguares de Chiapas' 1-1 draw vs. Atlante on Saturday.
- Michael Orozco dressed but did not play in San Luis' 1-1 draw vs. Cruz Azul on Saturday.
- Joe Corona played two minutes in Club Tijuana's 3-2 win vs. Pachuca on Saturday.
- Diego Restrepo did not play in America de Cali's 3-0 win vs. Cucuta Deportivo on Saturday.
What do you think of these performances? Is Gomez deserving of a call-up to the U.S. men's national team? Impressed by Kljestan and Anderlecht's thrashing of Standard Liege? Expecting Gatt to recover in time to be summoned to the U.S. team's November friendlies?
Share your thoughts below.