USA, Panama to meet in January friendly

USMNT062211381

Photo by Osvaldo Aguilar/ISIphotos.com

The U.S. men's national team will play its final match of 2011 in Slovenia on Tuesday, but there's already an eye on 2012.

According to the Panamanian football federation, the United States and Panama will meet for a friendly in Panama City on January 25. The prospective match would be played at the culmination of the U.S. January training camp, although it has not yet been officially confirmed by U.S. Soccer.

The USA and Panama met twice during this past summer's CONCACAF Gold Cup, with the teams splitting the two meetings. Panama shocked the United States in the group stage in Tampa, Fla., but the USA got revenge in the knockout round, winning their semifinal matchup in Houston on the strength of a Clint Dempsey goal. Both nations will compete in the third round of CONCACAF World Cup qualifying next summer.

What do you think about the potential friendly?

Shrae your thoughts below.

Comments

1. Nano,.. Jurgen has watched Gonzo the entire season… he knows what he can bring. as far as i know, he has had time in the MNT…? AND he did perform just ok.

2. he had his chance from what i have heard..and he was not so good. and Robby is not that bad…if you fallowed him for years and years, you would see the growth.

3. I know… I was happy to get the 1-0 result in the semis, especially since I got to go to the (lackluster and boring) game, but it sucked that Panama was missing their best defender.

4. On the wikipedia site it has under the USMNT page that USA is also going to play Guatemala on January 28, 2012 and also play Italy at Genoa on February 28, 2012. I don’t know if any of those games are true I doubt it but it would be really cool if it was true.

5. About time we play friendlies outside the USA and not just in Europe. We need more of these. Perhaps in a few years we can play a friendly against Japan, South Korea or Australia in those places. For the January camp I mean

6. Historically the Jan camp is for MLS, Mex, and Scandinavian players; so we’re unlikely to see many/any of our European 1st choice players. Likely to see Ream, Shea, Rogers, Bunbury, Agudelo, Beckerman, Torres, Orozco, Corona, Adu, Gonzalez, John, Cameron, S. Williams, Pontius, Loyd, Castillo, Mix, Gatt, Beasley, and maybe Donovan. Think of it as a mix of the U-23 team (less the Germans) with a handful of vets/fring players from the US/Mex

7. LMBO, but really you both are going on about nothing. You all think that we are going to lose 1-0 to Panama. Yes, they did beat us in the Gold Cup and we did get revenge, but the fact of the matter is that you all have so little faith in our team you all think we will get shut out by Panama. You all should just jump on the bandwagon and support and cheer of one of the big European or SA teams ala Brazil, Germany, Spain, Argentina, Holland. -_____-

8. If you’re interested in going, well, as Phil Collins would say, No Jacket Required … average January temps in Panama City have a high of 92.1F and a low of 65.3F

Hopefully, the January team camp is somewhere warm, otherwise the weather change will be pretty intense for Northern European based players.

9. While I’d hope to continue playing friendlies with non-CONCACAF teams, perhaps this will be a game where the likes of George John, Diskeruud, and others will get the call up to see who might be worth having on the squad when going into qualifications.

10. MicahK, If thats all you got then maybe you should never comment again as well on this site… I for one agree with malkin for the most part. I’m sick of the mediocrity with which we play and have since July of 2010. I’m sick of hearing about effort, chances, positive formations, but no goals and barely any positive results. And what is wrong with countering every once in awhile, why can’t we use our speed and ability on the wings to create a few chances? I will reserve judgement until 2013 however, I’m just baffled at what seems a lack of improvement under Klinsmann.

11. Hopefully, the January camp will feature the guys who’ve been deserving of a call-up and not the Robby Rogers’ types….Gonzalez anyone?

12. WAHHHHHWAHHHHWAHHHHWAHHHHH.

Ok, no more whining. Only winning! The more friendlies the better and I think it is astute and practical for the opponent to be from CONCACAF given WCQ starting shortly after

13. Not too thrilled about playing anybody in Concacaf after the January camp. Oh well though. I hope we at least get to see Gonzalez get a call up. It would be nice for Klinsman to have him for the better part of a month to see what he can do. I’m sure he will do well, if he gets the call.

14. Panama on the road, eh? Sounds like another 1-0 loss to me. But hey, at least we’ll “look good,” “keep a good shape,” “deserve a better result,” and “have lots of chances.”

Maybe we can play a high school team so we can score a couple goals