By FRANCO PANIZO
A week after enduring one of his worst performances of the season, Clint Dempsey responded in a big way.
Dempsey lifted Fulham to victory over Bolton Wanderes on Saturday, scoring a goal and assisting on another in the 2-0 affair. Dempsey found the back of the net with a well-placed header before sending Costa Rican teammate Bryan Ruiz in on goal with a nifty pass. Dempsey's goal was his fifth of the season. His assist was his fourth.
Carlos Bocanegra also found the back of the net, but not in the fashion that you might think. A regular set-piece threat, Bocanegra scored the opening goal in Rangers' 2-1 win over Inverness Caledonian Thistle when he made a run from the top of the box and smashed home a volley. The goal was the second this Scottish Premier League campaign for Bocanegra, who went the distance in the match.
It wasn't all about the goal-scorers this weekend.
A day after signing a professional contract with West Ham United, 17-year-old left back Daniel Potts made his debut for the club in a 1-0 triumph against Barnsley. Potts, who is also eligible to play for England, made quite the impression in the game, earning rave reviews for his 90-minute performance from Hammers manager Sam Allardyce and pundits. West Ham fans even booed when it was announced that club captain Kevin Nolan won Man of the Match honors over Potts.
Here is how the Americans Abroad performed this weekend:
- Tim Howard started and played 90 minutes in Everton's 1-1 draw vs. Norwich City on Saturday.
- Marcus Hahnemann did not dress for Everton.
- Clint Dempsey started, played 90 minutes, scored a GOAL and had an ASSIST in Fulham's 2-0 win vs. Bolton Wanderers on Saturday.
- Brad Friedel started, played 90 minutes and made 4 saves in Tottenham Hotspur's 1-0 win vs. Sunderland on Sunday.
- Brad Guzan started, played 90 minutes and made 5 saves in Aston Villa's 2-0 loss vs. Liverpool on Sunday.
- Eric Lichaj did not dress for Aston Villa. He is recovering from a hip injury.
- Stuart Holden did not dress in Bolton Wanderers' 2-0 loss vs. Fulham on Saturday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Zak Whitbread started and played 90 minutes in Norwich City's 1-1 draw vs. Everton on Saturday.
- Jonathan Spector and Birmingham City play Crystal Palace on Monday.
- Conor Doyle did not dress in Derby County's 1-0 loss vs. Ipswich Town on Saturday.
- Robbie Findley dressed but did not play in Nottingham Forest's 0-0 draw vs. Bristol City on Saturday.
- Daniel Potts started and played 90 minutes in West Ham United's 1-0 win vs. Barnsley on Saturday.
- Frank Simek started and played 90 minutes in Carlisle United's 2-2 draw vs. Wycombe Wanderers on Saturday.
- Anton Peterlin started and played 90 minutes in Walsall's 1-1 draw vs. Chesterfield on Saturday.
- Mike Grella dressed but did not play in Brentford's 1-1 draw vs. Bury on Saturday.
- Maurice Edu started and played 45 minutes in Rangers' 2-1 win vs. Inverness Caledonian Thistle on Saturday.
- Carlos Bocanegra started, played 90 minutes, received a yellow card and scored a GOAL for Rangers.
- Alejandro Bedoya started and played 52 minutes for Rangers.
- Dominic Cervi and Greenock Morton's match vs. Hamilton Academical on Saturday was postponed due to parts of the field being frozen.
- Michael Bradley started and played 90 minutes in Chievo Verona's 2-0 win vs. Cagliari on Saturday.
- Jermaine Jones started and played 90 minutes in Schalke 04's 5-0 win vs. Werder Bremen on Saturday.
- Steve Cherundolo dressed but did not play in Hannover 96's 1-1 draw vs. Kaiserslautern on Sunday.
- Timmy Chandler did not dress in FC Nurnberg's 3-0 win vs. Bayer Leverkusen on Saturday. He was serving a suspension for receiving a red card last week.
- David Yelldell dressed but did not play in Bayer Leverkusen's 3-0 loss vs. FC Nurnberg on Saturday.
- Alfredo Morales did not dress in Hertha Berlin's 1-1 draw vs. TSG 1899 Hoffenheim on Saturday.
- Fabian Johnson started and played 90 minutes in TSG 1899 Hoffenheim's 1-1 draw vs. Hertha Berlin on Saturday.
- Danny Williams came off the bench and played 24 minutes for TSG 1899 Hoffenheim.
- Terrence Boyd did not dress in Borussia Dortmund's 4-1 win vs. SC Freiburg on Saturday. He is with the U.S. U-23 men's national team.
- Ricardo Clark and Eintracht Frankfurt play St Pauli on Monday.
- Luis Robles dressed but did not play in Karlsruher SC's 3-1 loss vs. TSV 1860 Munich on Saturday.
- Edson Buddle did not dress in FC Ingolstadt 04's 1-1 draw vs. FC Erzgebirge Aue on Friday. He was dismissed from the team until after the winter break.
- Bobby Wood did not dress in TSV 1860 Munich's 3-1 win vs. Karlsruher SC on Saturday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Matt Taylor came off the bench and played 1 minute in SC Paderborn 07's 3-2 win vs. Fortuna Dusseldorf on Friday.
- Quentin Westberg did not dress in Evian Thonon Gaillard's 2-1 loss vs. Lyon on Saturday.
- Jozy Altidore started and played 45 minutes in AZ Alkmaar's 2-1 loss vs. NAC Breda on Sunday.
- Oguchi Onyewu started and played 90 minutes in Sporting CP's 1-1 draw vs. Academica de Coimbra.
- Sacha Kljestan started and played 90 minutes in RSC Anderlecht's 3-2 win vs. Lokeren on Sunday.
What do you think of these performances? Like Dempsey's goal or assist more? How impressed are you by Bocanegra's finish? Hoping Potts is called up to a U.S. youth national team camp in the near future?
Share your thoughts below.