Photo by David Bernal/ISIphotos.com
BY ADAM SERRANO
David Beckham is not heading to Paris, but it is not a certainty that he will be returning to the Los Angeles Galaxy just yet, at least according to AEG President Tim Leiweke.
Word came from Paris early on Tuesday morning from officials of Paris St. Germain that Beckham would not be joining the French power, seemingly setting up a return to the Galaxy. However, in an interview with the Los Angeles Times, Leiweke claimed that a deal is not yet in place to bring Beckham back to the Galaxy.
"The stories were all over the front page of every newspaper in Europe that he was going to Paris; I told everyone I would not pay a lot of attention to that," Leiweke told the LA Times. "And now that the stores are that he is going to the Galaxy, I would repeat the same advice: Premature.
"We have been talking with David about staying with the Galaxy for three months. And I said back in November, I was confident David would stay here and I still am.
"Does it look more likely that is heading in that direction? Yes. Are we done? No."
In the interview, Leiweke stated that he was not surprised at talk that Beckham's deal with PSG fell through for family reasons while also affirming that he had been in talks with Beckham's people throughout the day.
Beckham just concluded a five-year contract with the Galaxy, and had been expected to sign with Paris St. Germain, but with that move no longer looking like an option, Beckham appears close to accepting a rolling one-year contract to stay with the Galaxy in 2012. Reports in Europe are suggesting that Beckham's new Galaxy deal will allow him to take part in the 2012 Olympics with the Great Britain team.