photo by Gerhard Steenkamp/ISIphotos.com
By FRANCO PANIZO
Aston Villa finished 2011 with a big upset victory over Chelsea, and Brad Guzan played a part in making that happen.
In his fifth start of the season, Guzan helped the Villans stun Chelsea, 3-1, on Saturday. Guzan only made one save in the game, but it was enough to allow Aston Villa a chance to take the three points in perhaps the club's biggest triumph of the season. Guzan and Aston Villa take on Swansea City on Monday.
Another goalkeeper on the positive end of a result was Tim Howard. The U.S. international recorded his third cleansheet of the season as Everton defeated West Bromwich Albion, 1-0. The Toffees, which will have Landon Donovan available for selection in their next game, jumped up to ninth place in the Premiership table.
It was not all good news this weekend. Making his first appearance in over a month, Robbie Findley suffered a shoulder injury just six minutes into Nottingham Forest's game against Cardiff City and had to be replaced. Nottingham Forest lost the game, 1-0.
Here is how the Americans Abroad did this weekend:
- Tim Howard started and played 90 minutes in Everton's 1-0 win vs. West Bromwich Albion on Sunday.
- Marcus Hahnemann did not dress for Everton.
- Clint Dempsey started and played 90 minutes in Fulham's 1-1 draw vs. Norwich City on Saturday. Dempsey and Fulham play Arsenal on Monday.
- Brad Friedel started, played 90 minutes and made 3 saves in Tottenham Hotspur's 1-1 draw vs. Swanswa City on Saturday.
- Brad Guzan started, played 90 minutes and made 1 save in Aston Villa's 3-1 win vs. Chelsea on Saturday. Guzan and Aston Villa play Swansea City on Monday
- Eric Lichaj did not dress for Aston Villa. He is recovering from a hip injury.
- Stuart Holden did not dress in Bolton Wanderers' 1-1 draw vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Zak Whitbread started and played 90 minutes in Norwich City's 1-1 draw vs. Fulham on Saturday. Whitbread and Norwich City play Queens Park Rangers on Monday.
- Jonathan Spector started and played 90 minutes in Birmingham City's 3-0 win vs. Blackpool on Saturday. Spector and Birmingham City play Peterborough United on Monday.
- Conor Doyle did not dress in Derby County's 2-1 win vs. West Ham United on Saturday. Doyle and Derby County play Hull City on Monday.
- Robbie Findley started and played 6 minutes in Nottingham Forest's 1-0 loss vs. Cardiff City on Saturday. Findley and Nottingham Forest play Ipswich Town on Monday.
- Daniel Potts started and played 90 minutes in West Ham United's 2-1 loss vs. Derby County on Saturday. Potts and West Ham United play Coventry City on Monday.
- Frank Simek did not dress in Carlisle United's 1-1 draw vs. Huddersfield Town on Friday. Simek and Carlisle United play Sheffield United on Monday.
- Anton Peterlin started and played 90 minutes in Walsall's 0-0 draw vs. Rochdale on Saturday. Peterlin and Walsall play Bury on Monday.
- Mike Grella dressed but did not play in Brentford's 3-3 draw vs. Milton Keynes Dons on Saturday. Grella and Brentford play Charlton Athletic on Monday.
- Maurice Edu and Rangers play Motherwell on Monday.
- Carlos Bocanegra and Rangers play Motherwell on Monday.
- Alejandro Bedoya and Rangers play Motherwell on Monday.
- Dominic Cervi and Greenock Morton play Ayr United on Monday.
What do you think of these performances? Think Guzan should remain Aston Villa's starting goalkeeper once Shay Given comes back? How worried are you by Findley's injury?
Share your thoughts below.