By FRANCO PANIZO
FC Nordsjaelland are one step away from becoming champions of Denmark, and Michael Parkhurst is a big reason for that.
Deployed at left back, Parkhurst delivered the assist on the winning goal in Nordsjaelland's 1-0 victory over Brondby IF on Sunday. The win placed Nordsjaelland in first place of the Superliga with one game left in the season, and a victory over third-place Horsens on Wednesday will assure Parkhurst and Nordsjaelland of the league championship.
Herculez Gomez did not play this weekend, but he was on the bench as Santos Laguna won the Mexican League championship on Sunday. Santos Laguna defeated Monterrey, 2-1, to win the league title, 3-2 on aggregate, making Gomez became the first player to win both a Mexican League title and an MLS Cup title.
The lone American to find the back of the net this weekend was Josh Gatt, who scored the winner in Molde FK's 2-0 win vs. Sandnes Ulf. The goal came on the lightest of touches on a ball played in front of goal, and was Gatt's second in Molde's last three games.
Here is how the Americans Abroad did this weekend:
- Quentin Westberg did not dress in Evian Thonon Gaillard's 1-0 loss vs. Brest on Sunday.
- Charlie Davies did not dress in Sochaux's 1-0 win vs. Olympique Marseille on Sunday.
- Oguchi Onyewu started and played 90 minutes in Sporting CP's 1-0 loss vs. Academica de Coimbra in the Taca de Portugal final on Sunday.
- Michael Parkhurst started, played 90 minutes and had an ASSIST in FC Nordsjaelland's 1-0 win vs. Brondby IF on Sunday.
- Clarence Goodson started and played 90 minutes in Brondby IF's 1-0 loss vs. FC Nordsjaelland on Sunday.
- Conor O'Brien started and played 90 minutes in SonderjyskE's 1-1 draw vs. Silkeborg on Sunday.
- Brad Rusin started and played 90 minutes in HB Koge's 1-0 loss vs. Aalborg BK on Sunday.
- Samuel Petrone did not dress in Mjallby AIF's 0-0 draw vs. Gefle on Sunday.
- Brian Span came off the bench and played 25 minutes in Djurgardens IF's 1-1 draw vs. BK Hacken on Sunday.
- Josh Gatt started, played 70 minutes and scored a GOAL in Molde FK's 2-0 win vs. Sandnes Ulf on Sunday. You can see the goal here.
- Steve Clark started and played 90 minutes in Honefoss BK's 1-0 win vs. Valerenga on Saturday.
- Ricardo Clark started, played 84 minutes and received a yellow card in Stabaek IF's 2-0 loss vs. Haugesund on Sunday.
- Sean Cunningham started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card for Stabaek IF.
- Herculez Gomez dressed but did not play in Santos Laguna's 2-1 win vs. Monterrey in the second leg of their Liguilla final series on Sunday. Gomez and Santos Laguna won the final on aggregate, 3-2.
What do you think of these performances? Think Parkhurst and Nordsjaelland will seal the deal and win the league title in Denmark? Do you see Gomez and Santos Laguna making a run at the league title again next campaign? How many goals do you see Gatt scoring this season?
Share your thoughts below.