photo by John Todd/ISIphotos.com
By FRANCO PANIZO
FC Nordsjaelland may have routed Silkeborg IF in their match this weekend, but Michael Parkhurst was at the front and center to helping them cruise to victory.
Parkhurst played a vital part in Nordsjaelland's early success in their 6-1 win on Saturday, setting up the opener from the right flank in the third minute before scoring the eventual winner three minutes later. Parkhurst's goal was his first of the season and it came when he got on the end of a long ball and one-timed it into the back of the net.
Jozy Altidore and Chad Barrett also made impacts for their respective clubs. Altidore opened the Eredivisie campaign by scoring both of AZ Alkmaar's goals in a 2-2 road draw with reigning Dutch champions Ajax. Barrett, meanwhile, had a pair of assists in Valerenga's 3-1 win over Odd Grenland, his second game with the Norwegian club.
Mix Diskerud did not score or set up any goals, but he did make his debut for his new club, Rosenborg BK. Diskerud came off the bench and played 28 minutes in Rosenborg's 3-0 victory against Sogndal, just days after joining the club from Stabaek IF.
Here's how the Americans Abroad did this weekend:
Capital One Cup
- Frank Simek dressed but did not play in Carlisle United's 1-0 win vs. Accrington Stanley on Saturday.
- Robbie Rogers did not dress in Leeds United's 4-0 win vs. Shrewsbury Town on Saturday.
- Robbie Findley and Nottingham Forest play Fleetwood Town on Monday.
- Alfredo Morales did not dress in Hertha Berlin's 3-1 loss vs. FSV Frankfurt on Sunday.
- John Anthony Brooks started and played 90 minutes for Hertha Berlin.
- Andrew Wooten did not dress in Kaiserslautern's 2-1 win vs. VfR Aalen on Friday.
- Jozy Altidore started, played 84 minutes and scored TWO GOALS in AZ Alkmaar's 2-2 draw vs. Ajax Amsterdam on Sunday.
- Sacha Kljestan came off the bench and played 24 minutes in RSC Anderlecht's 3-0 win vs. Cercle Brugge on Sunday.
- Eugene Starikov did not dress in Zenit St. Petersburg's 5-0 win vs. Spartak Moscow on Saturday.
- Terrence Boyd started, played 51 minutes and received a yellow card in Rapid Vienna's 2-0 win vs. FC Red Bull Salzburg on Sunday.
- Michael Parkhurst started, played 90 minutes, scored a GOAL and had an ASSIST in FC Nordsjaelland's 6-1 win vs. Silkeborg IF on Saturday. You can see the goal and assist here.
- Clarence Goodson did not dress in Brondby IF's 1-0 loss vs. SonderjyskE on Sunday.
- Conor O'Brien started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in SonderjyskE's 1-0 win vs. Brondby IF on Sunday.
- Charlie Davies and Randers FC play Esbjerg on Monday.
- Alejandro Bedoya did not dress in Helsingborgs IF's 7-2 win vs. Kalmar FF on Sunday.
- Brian Span dressed but did not play in Djurgardens IF's 1-0 win vs. Gefle IF on Friday.
- Josh Gatt did not dress in Molde FK's 1-0 win vs. Aalesund on Sunday. He is recovering from a muscle injury.
- Steve Clark started and played 90 minutes in Honefoss BK's 2-2 draw vs. Lillestrom on Sunday.
- Mix Diskerud came off the bench and played 28 minutes in Rosenborg BK's 3-0 win vs. Sogndal on Sunday.
- Sean Cunningham did not dress in Stabaek IF's 2-1 win vs. Sandnes Ulf on Sunday.
- Chad Barrett started, played 78 minutes and had TWO ASSISTS in Valerenga's 3-1 win vs. Odd Grenland on Friday.
- Jose Torres started and played 45 minutes in Pachuca's 2-2 draw vs. Club Tijuana on Saturday.
- Herculez Gomez started, played 55 minutes and recevied a yellow card Santos Laguna's 3-0 loss vs. Leon on Friday.
- DaMarcus Beasley started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Puebla's 1-0 loss vs. Cruz Azul on Sunday.
- Sonny Guadarrama did not dress in Atlante's 2-1 win vs. Jaguares de Chiapas on Friday.
- Jonathan Bornstein did not dress in Tigres UANL's 2-2 draw vs. Queretaro on Saturday.
- Michael Orozco Fiscal started and played 85 minutes in San Luis' 1-1 draw vs. Monterrey on Saturday.
- Edgar Castillo started and played 90 minutes in Club Tijuana's 2-2 draw vs. Pachuca on Saturday.
- Joe Corona started and played 90 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Greg Garza did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Ventura Alvarado dressed but did not play in Club America's 1-1 draw vs. Atlas on Saturday.
What do you think of these performances? Think Parkhurst should have been called up for the United States' friendly against Mexico? Do you see Altidore scoring more this season than he did in the last one?
Share your thoughts below.
Kaiserslautern rested Wooten knowing sitting him in B.2 would lead to suggestions here that he should be called-up, for which he would then be fresh.
Clintonio is an amazing name
Where did you read about this?
Comparing only 1st teams (because even Scandinavian teams have much deeper pocketbooks than MLS squads), I would say…
Denmark > USA > Sweden, Norway > Finland
Seriously? Come ON…
So what is Drogba then, and old mule?
What hasn’t Dortmund or Schalke made an offer for Dempsey?
The fact that the best he can get is Liverpool is really disappointing. If his name were Klont van den Dempshstool or Clintonio Dempasoni you can bet clubs would be beating down the Fulham front office to get a crack at the second most goals scored in the EPL.
And a cheeky back heel and jackrabbit follow up run to create and finish the second goal. Lazy my keester.
Ha! Reunited again. Well, 4th div in England has to be a step up from 4th div Scotland, right?
dude thats called muscle. no homo but jozy is ripped
morales and wooten not dressing is a cause for concern. but i think someone cleared up wooten’s situation above. but what’s up with morales? this guy was getting minutes in the 1.B last season. now he isn’t even dressing in the 2.B?
glad to see brooks getting minutes, we could use another CB prospect. glad to see kljestan getting some minutes, hopefully he can convince the new coach to start him.
why did goodson not dress? injury? good for mix to get some minutes right away. was hoping to see more PT for Torres and Gomez. but good on Beasley, Castillo, Corona, and Fiscal for getting very solid minutes again.
rumor has it that bocanegra is working out a transfer to Wembly FC….
Torres captained Pachuca in the first half, which I thought was interesting. The regular captain started on the bench.
That was actually the FIRST goal. I watched the game in its entirety on ESPN3. I have no idea why this video shows the goals out of order…
I think Jozy is coming into his own. The adversity he faced at Villarreal, Xerez, Hull, and in Turkey are only helping him now. He looks comfortable and has improved many of the elements of his game he needs to be the NT target forward.
Good for Chad! A nice start in Norway.
Nice to see Torres and Gomez NOT going the full 90 as this will help their legs in the Mexico friendly should they start at Azteca.
Jozy bossed those goals…Hope to see more!
Run Bocanegra! Run! Flee! Jump ship! Bail! Vacate the premises! Cruise! Scram! Get out of Dodge! Evacuate the building! Vamanos! Split! Run away! Run away!
GET THE HECK OUT OF THERE!!!!!
McBride started and goes the full 90 for Wembly FC in a 3-2 FA Cup Match win against Langford FC on Saturday.
McBride and other ex-pros show their ‘professionality’:
Yes, he accepted the callup to the Germany U-20 camp. But the German U-20’s is like the US 18’s. Just a friendly hello.
Scandinavia or MLS?
Danish league is ranked no12 I believe whereas Norway/Sweden are ranked no23-24. The Finnish and Icelandic league are clearly way worse than MLS but where do we figure compared to Norway and Sweden. Similar leagues.?
25 goals for Jozy this season.
What about new(and former) Yank Abroad, Mr. Brian McBride?
4th division, actually…
Not exactly helping huh?
Kaiserslautern brought in two new strikers and the reserve coach asked if he could have Wooten for a bit because he is not comfortable with his new strikers. Kaiserslautern is sending their Israeli National Team striker to England so that will open up a spot once his duty with the reserves is done.
He has scored 2 goals in 2 games.
Nice goals by Josy even though he looks like a fatty!!
Any details on Morales or Wooten? Morales started a few matches and got some minutes in BL, why nothing (I know its earlier) so far in 2BL? Same with Wooten? Both not in the 18?
The answer to your first question seems to be yes.
More importantly, could anyone weigh in on the second question? Lorenzo, where did you hear this? I can’t find anything about it. Transfermarkt shows him as a Germany U-20 player but one with no caps to his name. The Deutscher Fussball Bund website doesn’t mention him anywhere. All youth and senior teams are up-to-date for the August matches. My best guess is that he is not playing for Germany at this moment.
Cap him, JK!
Jozy owned that defender on the second goal. The guy might as well have run into a freaking brick wall.
Wow!! 2 amazing goals by Altidore. I really like the second — because rather than flop he held his ground (and then some) and blasted home a goal. Brilliant!!
Ok, so is John Anthony Brooks called Johnathan Brooksbank on soccernet?
Question 2, did he accept Germany’s U-21 call up?
Man, quite a few americans scoring in their opening games this year!
And what of our Captain, whose side squeaked out a 2-2 draw at Peterhead in their debut in the Scottish 3rd division?