photo by Nick Turchiaro/ISIphotos.com
By FRANCO PANIZO
It was a goal-filled weekend for the Americans Abroad contingent, as four different players found the back of the net on the biggest scoring output of the early European season.
Clarence Goodson was among the players to tally, netting his first goal of the season in Brondby IF's 1-1 draw with FC Copenhagen on Saturday. Goodson's finish came in the waning moments of the match when he raced onto a cross and headed it home, and it helped Brondby avoid a fifth defeat in its first six games of the season.
Another defender who scored was Michael Parkhurst. The U.S. men's national team fullback hit the winner in FC Nordsjaelland's 1-0 triumph over AGF Aarhus on Sunday, giving him decisive goals in each of Nordsjaelland's last two games. The goal was his second of the season.
Jozy Altidore and Alejandro Bedoya were the other two players to score for their respective clubs. Altidore netted his second consecutive brace for AZ Alkmaar in their 3-1 win against Heracles, while Bedoya buried a bicycle kick in his debut for Helsingborgs IF, a 2-1 defeat to Elfsborg.
Here's how the Americans Abroad fared this weekend:
- Tim Howard and Everton play Manchester United on Monday.
- Clint Dempsey did not dress in Fulham's 5-0 win vs. Norwich City on Saturday.
- Brad Friedel started, played 90 minutes and made one save in Tottenham Hotspur's 2-1 loss vs. Newcastle United on Saturday.
- Brad Guzan dressed but did not play in Aston Villa's 1-0 loss vs. West Ham United on Saturday.
- Eric Lichaj dressed but did not play for Aston Villa.
- Geoff Cameron did not dress in Stoke City's 1-1 draw vs. Reading on Saturday.
- Tim Ream started and played 90 minutes in Bolton Wanderers' 2-0 loss vs. Burnley on Saturday.
- Stuart Holden did not dress for Bolton Wanderers. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Jonathan Spector came off the bench and played 27 minutes in Birmingham City's 1-1 draw vs. Charlton Athletic on Saturday.
- Will Packwood started and played 63 minutes for Birmingham City.
- Conor Doyle dressed but did not play in Derby County's 2-2 draw vs. Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday.
- Robbie Rogers did not dress in Leeds United's 1-0 win vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday.
- Robbie Findley did not dress in Nottingham Forest's 1-0 win vs. Bristol City on Saturday.
- Zak Whitbread did not dress in Leicester City's 2-0 win vs. Peterborough United on Saturday.
- Frank Simek came off the bench and played one minute in Carlisle United's 1-1 draw vs. Stevenage on Saturday.
- Steve Cherundolo started and played 62 minutes in Hannover 96's 6-1 win vs. FC Nottingen 1957 in the first round of DFB Pokal on Sunday.
- Jermaine Jones did not dress in Schalke 04's 5-0 win vs. 1 FC Saarbrucken in the first round of DFB Pokal on Sunday.
- Fabian Johnson did not dress in TSG 1899 Hoffenheim's 4-0 loss vs. Berliner AK '07 in the first round of DFB Pokal on Saturday.
- Danny Williams did not dress for TSG 1899 Hoffenheim.
- Joe Gyau did not dress for TSG 1899 Hoffenheim.
- Timmy Chandler started and played 120 minutes in FC Nurnberg's 3-2 extra time loss vs. Havelse in the first round of DFB Pokal on Sunday.
- Alfredo Morales came off the bench and played 45 minutes in Hertha Berlin's 2-1 loss vs. Wormatia Worms in the first round of DFB Pokal on Sunday.
- John Anthony Brooks did not dress for Hertha Berlin.
- Andrew Wooten did not dress in Kaiserslautern's 3-1 win vs. Hansa Rostock in the first round of DFB Pokal on Sunday.
- Jozy Altidore started, played 90 minutes and scored TWO GOALS in AZ Alkmaar's 3-1 win vs. Heracles on Sunday.
- Oguchi Onyewu did not dress in Sporting CP's 0-0 draw vs. Vitoria Guimaraes on Sunday.
- Tony Taylor started, played 61 minutes and received a yellow card in G.D. Estoril Praia's 2-1 loss vs. Olhanense on Friday.
- Caleb Patterson-Sewell started and played 90 minutes in Vitoria Setubal FC's 2-2 draw vs. CD Nacional on Sunday.
- Sacha Kljestan came off the bench and played 8 minutes in RSC Anderlecht's 2-1 win vs. Mons on Saturday.
- Eugene Starikov did not dress in Zenit St. Petersburg's 1-1 draw vs. Anzhi Makhachkala on Sunday.
- Terrence Boyd dressed but did not play in Rapid Vienna's 3-0 win vs. SK Sturm Graz on Saturday.
- Michael Parkhurst started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL in FC Nordsjaelland's 1-0 win vs. AGF Aarhus on Sunday. You can see the goal here.
- Clarence Goodson started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL in Brondby IF's 1-1 draw vs. FC Copenhagen on Saturday.
- Conor O'Brien and SonderjyskE play Odense BK on Monday.
- Charlie Davies came off the bench and played 18 minutes in Randers FC's 1-0 win vs. Silkeborg IF on Saturday.
- Alejandro Bedoya started, played 90 minutes, received a yellow card and scored a GOAL in Helsingborgs IF's 2-1 loss vs. Elfsborg on Saturday.
- Brian Span and Djurgardens IF play Dalstoprs IF in the second round of Svenska Cupen.
- Josh Gatt did not dress in Molde FK's 2-1 win vs. Sandefjord in the quarterfinals of the NM Cupen on Saturday.
- Steve Clark and Honefoss BK did not play this weekend.
- Mix Diskerud and Rosenborg BK did not play this weekend.
- Sean Cunningham and Stabaek IF did not play this weekend.
- Chad Barrett sand Valerenga did not play this weekend.
- Jose Torres did not dress in Pachuca's 1-0 loss vs. Toluca on Sunday.
- Herculez Gomez started and played 51 minutes in Santos Laguna's 2-1 loss vs. Pumas UNAM on Saturday.
- DaMarcus Beasley started and played 90 minutes Puebla's 3-0 loss vs. Morelia on Friday.
- Sonny Guadarrama did not dress in Atlante's 1-1 draw vs. Monterrey on Saturday.
- Jonathan Bornstein did not dress in Tigres UANL's 2-1 loss vs. Club Tijuana on Friday.
- Michael Orozco Fiscal started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in San Luis' 1-0 loss vs. Chivas de Guadalajara on Saturday.
- Edgar Castillo started and played 90 minutes in Club Tijuana's 2-1 win vs. Tigres UANL on Friday.
- Joe Corona started and played 69 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Greg Garza dressed but did not play for Club Tijuana.
- Ventura Alvarado did not dress in Club America's 4-0 win vs. Queretaro on Saturday.
What do you think of these performances? Impressed that four players combined for five goals this early into the season? Surprised that two defenders in Goodson and Parkhurst netted?
Share your thoughts below.
This is business, biff. Or maybe you’ve never had to deal with a lying, cheating, backstabbing, pusillanimous, incompetent management before.
I’m sure Clint has. He has a family to support and will do what he feels are in his and their best interests.
Duece may not have a better choice than playing for Fulham right now.
Playing keeps him in shape and on display. The 5-0 opener proves nothing; Fulham can’t afford to let him just sit there out of spite.
Unless they are a lot better than I think they are, they need him to either play or get sold.
If he stays inactive until January, he will be very rusty and his and Fulham’s bargaining power at that point will be severely reduced.
The reality is both Fulham and Dempsey are screwed if there is no sale and Clint does not play until January.
The best thing would be for Clint to get sold somewhere for a good price before August 31st but if that does not happen then everybody needs to stop the screwing around, grow up and get Clint back in a Fulham uniform and on the field.
I doubt CLint is being called in even if this thing gets resolved in the next 5 minutes.
As Eric pointed out, he has a lot of fitness catching up to do and if I were JK , two weeks from now, I would rather Clint be getting integrated into Fulham, Arsenal, Man. City or wherever he winds up (I’d like to see him at Everton or Man City).
Still maybe JK call him up to bring in off the bench if Verbeek gives him a hard time with Jozy. But I doubt it.
His defensive showing against East Stirlingshire was impeccable.
They also lose too many. And their goal differential leaves a lot to be desired…