By FRANCO PANIZO
There is no stopping Aron Johannsson these days. Just ask Sparta Rotterdam.
Johannsson enjoyed quite the day at the office on Thursday, scoring a hat-trick in AZ Alkmaar’s 4-1 extra-time win over Sparta Rotterdam in KNVB Cup action. Johannsson netted a fifth-minute opener and also came up big after the match ended, 1-1, in regulation, scoring the next two goals in the added 30 minutes to assure that AZ would move on in the tournament. Johannsson now has an impressive nine goals in all competitions at this early juncture in season.
The young U.S. Men’s National Team forward was not the only one to find the back of the net. Jose Torres scored his first goal for Tigres UANL on Tuesday night with a beautiful strike in the club’s 3-2 Copa MX loss to Santos Laguna. Jonathan Bornstein also made a rare cameo for Tigres in the match, coming off the bench in second-half stoppage time.
Mix Diskerud did not get on the scoresheet for Rosenborg BK, but he did help the club move on to the NM Cupen final. Diskerud started and went the distance on Wednesday as Rosenborg dispatched Haugesund, 2-1.
Here is how the Americans Abroad performed during the midweek action:
Capital One Cup
- Tim Howard dressed but did not play in Everton’s 2-1 loss vs. Fulham on Tuesday.
- Jozy Altidore started and played 85 minutes in Sunderland’s 2-0 win vs. Peterborough United on Tuesday.
- Geoff Cameron started and played 90 minutes in Stoke City’s 2-0 win vs. Tranmere Rovers on Wednesday.
- Maurice Edu did not dress for Stoke City. He is recovering from a sports hernia.
- Brek Shea did not dress for Stoke City.
- Brad Guzan dressed but did not play in Aston Villa’s 4-0 loss vs. Tottenham Hotspur on Tuesday.
- Brad Friedel started and played 90 minutes in Tottenham Hotspur’s 4-0 win vs. Aston Villa on Tuesday.
- Jonathan Spector started and played 90 minutes in Birmingham City’s 3-1 win vs. Swansea City on Wednesday.
- Will Packwood did not dress for Birmingham City. He is recovering from a leg injury.
- Zak Whitbread dressed but did not play in Leicester City’s 2-1 win vs. Derby County on Tuesday.
- Eric Lichaj did not dress in Nottingham Forest’s 2-1 loss vs. Burnley on Tuesday.
- Michael Bradley did not dress in AS Roma’s 2-0 win vs. Sampdoria on Wednesday. He is recovering from an ankle injury.
- Fabian Johnson started and played 90 minutes in TSG 1899 Hoffenheim’s 3-0 win vs. Energie Cottbus on Tuesday.
- Joe Gyau did not dress for TSG 1899 Hoffenheim.
- Michael Parkhurst did not dress in FC Augsburg’s 3-0 win vs. Prussia Munster on Tuesday.
- Jermaine Jones started and played 90 minutes in Schalke 04’s 3-1 win vs. SV Darmstadt 98 on Wednesday.
- Steve Cherundolo did not dress in Hannover 96′s 4-1 loss vs. Bayern Munich on Wednesday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- John Brooks did not dress in Hertha Berlin’s 3-1 loss vs. Kaiserslautern on Wednesday. He is recovering from an elbow injury.
- Alfredo Morales came off the bench and played 26 minutes in FC Ingolstadt 04’s 2-0 win vs. FSV Frankfurt on Wednesday.
- Andrew Wooten did not dress in Kaiserslautern’s 3-1 win vs. Hertha Berlin on Wednesday.
- Bobby Wood dressed but did not play in TSV 1860 Munich’s 2-0 loss vs. Borussia Dortmund on Tuesday.
- Alejandro Bedoya did not dress in FC Nantes’ 2-0 win vs. Nice on Wednesday. He is recovering from a toe injury.
- Aron Johannsson started, played 120 minutes and scored THREE GOALS in AZ Alkmaar’s 4-1 extra-time win vs. Sparta Rotterdam on Wednesday.
- Eugene Starikov dod not dress in FK Tom’ Tomsk’s 1-0 win vs. Volga Nizhny Novgorod on Thursday.
- Sacha Kljestan did not play in RSC Anderlecht’s 7-0 win vs. AS Eupen on Sunday. ??
- Conor O’Brien started and play 63 minutes in Odense BK’s 2-0 win vs. Svendborg on Wednesday.
- Brian Span did not dress in Djurgarden IF’s 2-2 draw vs. AIK on Thursday.
- Mix Diskerud started and played 90 minutes in Rosenborg BK’s 2-1 win vs. Haugesund in the semifinals on Wednesday.
- Josh Gatt did not dress in Molde FK’s 5-4 penalty kick win after a 2-2 draw vs. Lillestrom in the semifinals on Thursday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Ben Spencer did not dress for Molde FK.
- Ethan Horvath did not dress for Molde FK.
- Michael Orozco did not dress in Puebla’s 1-1 draw vs. Monterrey on Tuesday.
- DaMarcus Beasley did not dress for Puebla.
- Jose Torres started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL in Tigres UANL’s 3-2 loss vs. Santos Laguna on Tuesday.
- Jonathan Bornstein came off the bench in second-half stoppage time and played one minute for Tigres UANL.
- Benji Joya came off the bench and played three minutes in Santos Laguna’s 3-2 win vs. Tigres UANL on Tuesday.
- Joaquin Alonso Hernandez started and played 90 minutes in Monterrey’s 1-1 draw vs. Puebla on Tuesday.
CONCACAF Champions League
- Herculez Gomez came off the bench, played 45 minutes and scored THREE GOALS in Club Tijuana’s 6-0 win vs. CD Victoria on Thursday.
- Paul Arriola started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL for Club Tijuana.
- Greg Garza started and played 90 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Joe Corona started and played 45 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Edgar Castillo did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Freddy Adu did not dress in Bahia’s 1-0 loss vs. Atletico Nacional in Copa Sudamericana on Thursday.
What do you think of these performance? How impressed are you by Johannsson’s hat-trick performance and his overall red-hot start to the season? Think Diskerud and Rosenborg can win the NM Cupen final?
Share your thoughts below.
Well we could certainly use the IceMan’s extra time goals when we play Ghana next World Cup.
gringo got moves
Sick goal by torres
At 1:10 you can see Torres backfliping towards the corner flag. He was REAAALY happy to score that goal.
Franco (or Ives), any update on the Mo Edu injury? I could be mis-remembering but it seems to me that many pro athletes get surgery for sports hernias and are back within 4-6 weeks. Yet Edu has been out with this injury going on 4 months now. Have there been issues with his rehab? Is he taking a conservative (non-surgical) approach? Did he wait to get surgery and is only now recovering? I really hope he gets some PT and is able to compete for a roster spot next year – he may not earn it but he deserves a chance to get on the field and fight for it!
I thought he is working his way back by playing in lower divisions, and since he is with Stokes, playing time may not be there for him to show where he is at.
Thought Edu and Shea played earlier this week for the Dev squad against LLetget and West ham
I inquired about this the other day on this site and someone said he played a bit in a U21 (I think?) match for them recently along with Shea. So it looks like now he just has to work back to full fitness. Did seem like his hernia recovery took longer than some.
Thanks Louis and Jones.
Great game re-cap, action includes Lleget, Shea, and Edu
By my count, Aron Bacon on the season:
That’s 9 goals in 12 matches (11 starts) in all competitions. This is incredible production.
Also, just for kicks, by my count, that’s exactly how many goals Jozy had through 12 matches with AZ last season. Man, can we send all our strikers to the Netherlands for development?
For future reference our AZ man is named Jóhannsson with an ó and 2 n’s, and the other is simply Johansson.
Could you let ESPN know so they can stop confusing me about who scores goals?
Don’t knock ESPN’s match tracking system. Yesterday when I was checking into game standings they had the score of the USMNT match Vs. Scottland (2-2) on 11-15 with Bradley & Diskerud as the US goal scorers.
Whenever I can get a scoreline a month in advance of the match actually being played….Now that’s what I call reporting.
Oops wrong reply but Aron has recently been scouted by Celtic. Let’s see how that works out.
He’d move up in clubs but down in leagues. The chance at Champions League experience would be great, but I wonder if the lower level league would be worth the trade-off. I keep hoping for a rise in prominence for the SPL, but they have a lot of problems right now.
What position is Spector playing these days?
Mostly defensive midfield
I think a right back in a 3-4-3.
Do the goals look really wide in the Tigres game to anyone else???
Shea not dressing is concerning me. If he isn’t fully recovered from that injury, that’s one thing, but if he’s healthy and not dressing after Hughes being so high on him, it is not a good sign.
Parkhurst couldn’t dress for a cup game? He needs to get out of Augsburg on the first day of the winter transfer window.
The scuttlebutt is he may go on loan to regain fitness.
Shea that is.
“Brek Shea has not being picked, due to Hughes not thinking he up to fitness after picking up 3 injuries in quick succession. Being told he could go out on a 1 or 2 month loan to get his sharpness up (Marc)”
That’s good to hear. I’d like to see him go to Bolton for a month or two. Competitive league, and for a team that is playing poorly.
Man, Club Tijuana could potentially have 4-5 Americans on the field at once one day.
Unfortunately it looks like Arriola has taken Corona’s place… Corona hasn’t played a minute lately. Which is a shame, because he was a real revelation to me in the Gold Cup. I think he could really use a move elsewhere in Mexico.
I say we call up Johannsson, Boyd, and E Johnson for the upcoming WCQs. Let Altidore get more time in with Sunderland as they’re not too hot right now.
I would like to see Agudelo as well. He has had a pretty good season with New England and deserves a look.
Seattle plays vancouver two days before the Jamaica game and Portland right after. I doubt we see more that one (or no) Seattle players on this roster. LA players are likely to not travel to Panama too.
If you take out EJ and/or Dempsey then Jozy is a must. Plus id like to see him start with Johannsón
If Seattle & LA players are left off the roster that actually leaves huge holes in the US Squad (4 starters, 1 prime Sub)….
Dempsey, Evans, EJ, Donovan, Gonzalez
Who fills in of they’re all left home?
Goodson – Gonzalez, Aron – Dempsey, Donovan – ?, Evans – ?
Anyone know how Altidore played?
According to Sunderland’s live tweets:
Sunderland AFC @SAFCofficial
Final sub for the Black Cats: Connor Wickham replaces Jozy Altidore. The US striker has worked his socks off tonight.
Sounds like he was a bit unlucky.
Couldn’t watch it but I listened to it, he did pretty well, had a shot hit the post and set up some nice plays but team-mates couldn’t finish. Nice ovation when he was subbed off.
check out tuesday’s running commentary post. subwayjared did the lord’s work in that one.
Also, 10 minutes of match highlights are posted on the safc.com website under the tab SAFSee.
wow- those goalkeepers suck, especially Tigres’.
My thought was Tigres defense looked so bad on those goals that Bornstein would have been an improvement. They should have brought him on sooner.
A hat trick for the ICEMAN, I wonder how the other two goals where scored.
I don’t think Mattias Johansson would be happy you taing his goal and creit it to Aron
The ESPN page for Alkmaar says Mattias Johansson scored, but it’s incorrect. AJ scored in the fifth minute, not the other Johan(n)sson, hence the hat trick.
did you watch the game? livescore (.)com also reports the same thing as ESPN
ESPN had it originally for Aron, but changed it. My guess is its just a brace. AZ has a terrible website by the way last updated Sept 15.
ESPNFC first credited it to Mattias, then to Aron and later back to Mattias. The video that is floating around of the 1st goal is obviously Aron, but you hear the Dutch announcer credit it to Mattias. AZ’s twitter feed gave all 3 to Aron (as does Aron’s Facebook page and AZ’s summary of the game).