By FRANCO PANIZO
Herculez Gomez apparently did not get the memo that Wednesday night was supposed to be all about Ronaldinho.
Gomez spoiled the Brazilian legend’s much-anticipated debut at Queretaro, scoring an early goal to pace Tigres to a 1-0 road victory in Copa MX play. The 32-year-old forward struck just nine minutes into the match, tucking the winning shot just inside of the far post despite slipping on his take. The tally was his second in as many Copa MX appearances for Tigres, and might earn him some extended looks in the club’s upcoming league matches.
Another positive development involving Americans in Mexico came in Club Tijuana’s 2-0 loss to Chivas de Guadalajara on Tuesday. The Xolos may have been shutout but several youngsters saw time in the match, including Under-20 U.S. Men’s National Team defender John Requejo and former New York Red Bulls forward Amando Moreno. Talented prospect Alejandro Guido also saw time for Tijuana, starting and going the distance.
One other noteworthy performance came in the UEFA Champions League, as Sacha Kljestan made a rare Anderlecht cameo by coming off the bench in a group stage road draw vs. Galatasaray. Kljestan entered the match in the 66th minute to help protect a 1-0 lead, but unfortunately for the Belgian club, Galatasaray found the equalizer a minute into stoppage time to salvage a point and deliver a gut-wrenching blow.
Here is how the Americans Abroad did during the midweek action:
- Tim Ream started and played 90 minutes in Bolton Wanderers’ 3-2 win vs. Rotherham United on Tuesday.
- Eric Lichaj started and played 56 minutes in Nottingham Forest’s 5-3 win vs. Fulham on Wednesday.
- Brek Shea started and played 54 minutes in Birmingham City’s 2-0 loss vs. Sheffield Wednesday on Tuesday.
- Jonathan Spector came off the bench and played 74 minutes for Birmingham City.
- Will Packwood did not dress for Birmingham City.
- Emerson Hyndman dressed but did not play in Fulham’s 5-3 loss vs. Nottingham Forest on Wednesday.
- Zak Whitbread started and played 90 minutes in Derby County’s 3-2 win vs. Blackburn Rovers on Wednesday.
- Danny Williams did not dress in Reading’s 3-2 win vs. Millwall on Tuesday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- David Yelldell did not dress in Bayer Leverkusen’s 1-0 loss vs. AS Monaco in the UEFA Champions League on Tuesday.
- Sacha Kljestan came off the bench and played 24 minutes in RSC Anderlecht’s 1-1 draw vs. Galatasaray in the UEFA Champions League on Tuesday.
- Conor O’Brien started and played 90 minutes in FC Magna Wr. Neustadt’s 5-1 loss vs. Rapid Vienna on Wednesday.
- Ventura Alvarado started and played 90 minutes in Club America’s 10-1 win vs. Bayamon FC in the CONCACAF Champions League on Wednesday.
- Michael Orozco did not dress in Puebla’s 2-1 win vs. Morelia in the Copa MX on Tuesday.
- Edgar Castillo did not dress in Atlas’ 2-1 win vs. Universidad de Guadalajara in the Copa MX on Wednesday.
- Herculez Gomez started, played 77 minutes and scored a GOAL in Tigres UANL’s 1-0 win vs. Queretaro in the Copa MX on Wednesday.
- Jose Torres started and played 90 minutes for Tigres UANL.
- Gabriel Farfan started and played 90 minutes in Jaguares de Chiapas’ 3-2 win vs. Veracruz in the Copa MX on Wednesday.
- Jonathan Bornstein did not dress in Queretaro’s 1-0 loss vs. Tigres UANL in the Copa MX on Wednesday.
- Joaquin Alonso Hernandez dressed but did not play in Monterrey’s 3-2 loss vs. Santos Laguna in the Copa MX on Tuesday.
- Alejandro Guido started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Club Tijuana’s 2-0 loss vs. Chivas de Guadalajara in the Copa MX on Tuesday.
- Amando Moreno came off the bench and played 37 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- John Requejo came off the bench and played 18 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Joe Corona did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Greg Garza did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Paul Arriola did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Fernando Arce Jr did not dress for Club Tijuana.
What do you think of these performances? How worried are you that Cameron’s injury could prevent him from making a transfer? Encouraged by Altidore’s start?
Share your thoughts below.