By FRANCO PANIZO
Andrew Wooten sure is making a habit out of scoring late winners.
For the third straight match, Wooten pushed Sandhausen to a 1-0 victory by netting a dramatic goal on Tuesday. The 24-year-old, German-American forward scored his latest game-winner two minutes into second-half stoppage time to edge 1860 Munich, and to raise his season total to three goals. His late tallies have single-handedly given Sandhausen their first three victories of the campaign after an 0-3-1 start and have pushed the club into ninth place in the 2. Bundesliga.
Another forward to find the back of the net was Jozy Altidore, who ended a 10-month scoring drought for Sunderland with a strong finish. Altidore hit home his first shot since December 2013 when he turned well and fired a low effort in the 16th minute of the Black Cats’ Capital One Cup clash with Stoke City. The U.S. Men’s National Team striker’s goal went for naught as Sunderland were ultimately eliminated from the competition after surrendering two goals in a 2-1 defeat.
Tim Howard shared a similar fate, with Everton surprisingly dropping a 3-0 result to Swansea City. Howard got the nod in the tournament fixture, but could not prevent the Toffees from suffering their second loss in three days.
Here is how the Americans Abroad fared on Tuesday:
- Jozy Altidore started, played 90 minutes, received a yellow card and scored a GOAL in Sunderland’s 2-1 loss vs. Stoke City in the Capital One Cup.
- Geoff Cameron did not dress in Stoke City’s 2-1 win vs. Sunderland in the Capital One Cup. He is recovering from an abdominal injury.
- Tim Howard started and played 90 minutes in Everton’s 3-0 loss vs. Swansea City in the Capital One Cup.
- Cody Cropper did not dress in Southampton’s 2-1 win vs. Arsenal in the Capital One Cup.
- Emerson Hyndman started and played 90 minutes in Fulham’s 2-1 win vs. Doncaster Rovers in the Capital One Cup.
- Zak Whitbread dressed but did not play in Derby County’s 2-0 win vs. Reading in the Capital One Cup.
- Danny Williams did not dress in Reading’s 2-0 loss vs. Derby County in the Capital One Cup.
- Timmy Chandler started and played 90 minutes in Eintracht Frankfurt’s 2-2 draw vs. Mainz.
- Andrew Wooten started, played 90 minutes before being subbed off in stoppage time and scored a GOAL in SV Sandhausen’s 1-0 win vs. TSV 1860 Munich.
- Bobby Wood dressed but did not play in TSV 1860 Munich’s 1-0 loss vs. SV Sandhausen.
- Alfredo Morales started and played 90 minutes in FC Ingolstadt 04’s 1-1 draw vs. FC Erzgebirge Aue.
- Joaquin Alonso Hernandez started and played 90 minutes in Monterrey’s 1-1 draw vs. Santos Laguna in Copa MX.
- Herculez Gomez started and played 90 minutes in Tigres UANL’s 1-0 win vs. Queretaro in Copa MX.
- Jose Torres started and played 90 minutes for Tigres UANL.
- Jonathan Bornstein did not dress in Queretaro’s 1-0 loss vs. Tigres UANL in Copa MX.
- Gabriel Farfan started and played 90 minutes in Jaguares de Chiapas’ 1-1 draw vs. Veracruz in Copa MX.
How impressed are you by Wooten’s recent late-game dramatics? Surprised to see Howard and Everton lose so handily to Swansea? How many goals will Altidore score across all competitions for Sunderland this season?
Share your thoughts below.