By FRANCO PANIZO
When Joe Gyau reached a deal to join Borussia Dortmund this summer, the consensus was that he would have a difficult time breaking into the first team this season.
Gyau, however, did just that on Wednesday.
After surprisingly dressing in the club’s last two league games, Gyau came off the bench to make his Borussia Dortmund debut in a 2-2 draw with VfB Stuttgart. Gyau entered the game in the 74th minute, as his team was in the midst of rallying from two goals down to salvage a point at home against relegation-threatened Stuttgart. The 16-minute performance should inject the recently-turned 22-year-old Gyau with plenty of confidence and improves his chances of getting called into the U.S. Men’s National Team’s October camp.
Gyau was not the only American to make his first appearance with his new club on Wednesday. Freddy Adu got his first taste of action in Serbia, coming off the bench and playing the final 13 minutes of Jagodina’s 4-0 triumph over BSK Borca in cup play. The late cameo marked Adu’s first competitive match in over a year, as he last played for Brazilian side Bahia on Aug. 29, 2013.
Things were not so rosy for a trio of Americans in Norway. Bob Bradley, Andrew Jacobson, Michael Stephens and Stabaek were eliminated from the NM Cupen after suffering a bitter 1-0 loss to Molde in the semifinals. Jacobson played from whistle to whistle while Stephens lasted until the 63rd minute, but neither helped Stabaek find the goal that could have helped them advance to the tournament final.
Here is how the Americans Abroad did on Wednesday:
- Brad Friedel dressed but did not play in Tottenham Hotspur’s 3-1 win vs. Nottingham Forest in the Capital One Cup.
- Eric Lichaj did not dress in Nottingham Forest’s 3-1 loss vs. Tottenham Hotspur in the Capital One Cup.
- Tim Ream dressed but did not play in Bolton Wanderers’ 2-1 loss vs. Chelsea in the Capital One Cup.
- Fabian Johnson came off the bench and played 19 minutes in Borussia Moenchengladbach’s 1-0 win vs. Hamburg SV.
- Julian Green did not dress in Hamburg SV’s 1-0 loss vs. Borussia Moenchengladbach. He is recovering from bruised ribs.
- John Brooks did not dress in Hertha Berlin’s 1-0 win vs. VfL Wolfsburg.
- Joe Gyau came off the bench and played 16 minutes in Borussia Dortmund’s 2-2 draw vs. VfB Stuttgart.
- David Yelldell did not dress in Bayer Leverkusen’s 1-0 win vs. FC Augsburg.
- Terrence Boyd did not dress in RB Leipzig’s 3-1 win vs. Karlsruhe. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Alejandro Bedoya started and played 84 minutes in FC Nantes’ 0-0 draw vs. Bastia.
- Aron Johannsson did not dress in AZ Alkmaar’s 1-0 win vs. EVV in the KNVB Cup. He is recovering from a groin injury.
- Sacha Kljestan started and played 120 minutes in RSC Anderlecht’s 5-3 extra-time win vs. Patro Esiden in the Coupe de Belgique.
- Conor O’Brien came off the bench and converted his penalty kick in FC Magna Wiener Neustadt’s 5-3 penalty-shootout win following a 2-2 draw vs. FC Admira in the OFB-Samsung-Cup.
- Andrew Jacobson started and played 90 minutes in Stabaek IF’s 1-0 loss vs. Molde FK in the NM Cupen semifinals.
- Michael Stephens started and played 63 minutes for Stabaek IF.
- Ethan Horvath did not dress in Molde FK’s 1-0 win vs. Stabaek IF in the NM Cupen semifinals.
- Josh Gatt did not dress for Molde FK.
- Freddy Adu came off the bench and played 13 minutes in FK Jagodina’s 4-0 win vs. BSK Borca in the LAV KUP.
- Michael Orozco did not dress in Puebla’s 3-0 loss vs. Morelia in Copa MX.
- Edgar Castillo did not dress in Atlas’ 3-0 loss vs. Universidad de Guadalajara in Copa MX.
- Paul Arriola started and played 90 minutes in Club Tijuana’s 1-0 win vs. Chivas de Guadalajara in Copa MX.
- Alejandro Guido started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card for Club Tijuana.
- Amando Moreno came off the bench and played 19 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- John Requejo dressed but did not play for Club Tijuana.
- Joe Corona did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Greg Garza did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Fernando Arce Jr did not dress for Club Tijuana.
Are you surprised to see Gyau earn first-team minutes so soon after signing for Dortmund? Think Adu will start to earn consistent playing time at Jagodina now that his debut is out of the way?
Share your thoughts below.