By FRANCO PANIZO
One of the Americans currently seeing more consistent minutes than most in a foreign league now has his first goal for his new club.
Edgar Castillo opened his scoring account with Atlas on Saturday, finding the back of the net in the club’s 2-1 defeat to Monterrey. Castillo struck in the 84th minute of the match to trim the deficit and give Atlas hope of pulling out a result, but they were unable to find an equalizer in a battle of Liga MX’s second- and third-placed teams.
The veteran fullback played from whistle to whistle in the match that marked the Zorros‘ 10th of the Apertura campaign, continuing his impressive feat of playing every minute of every Liga MX game this season for the club he joined in June and further improving his chances of being recalled by Jurgen Klinsmann for next month’s friendlies.
Castillo was not the only American to see time in that Atlas-Monterrey clash. Under-23 U.S. Men’s National Team attacker Joaquin Alonso Hernandez came off the bench with 32 minutes left to play in order to help Monterrey close out the game. The appearance was the 20-year-old Hernandez’s third of the season for the Rayados.
The other goal from a player in the Americans Abroad contingent this weekend came courtesy of Andrew Wooten, who extended his scoring streak to four matches. Wooten netted via a late penalty kick in SV Sandhausen’s duel with Eintracht Braunschweig on Friday, but it was not enough to prevent his side from suffering a 2-1 defeat.
While there were positive developments, there were also some negative ones. Michael Orozco was sent off for the second time this season after receiving two yellow cards in Puebla’s scoreless draw with Chivas de Guadalajara late on Sunday, and both Fabian Johnson and John Brooks failed to dress for Borussia Moenchengladbach and Hertha Berlin, respectively.
Here is how the Americans Abroad performed this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made seven saves in Everton’s 1-1 draw vs. Liverpool on Saturday.
- Jozy Altidore dressed but did not play in Sunderland’s 0-0 draw vs. Swansea City on Saturday.
- Brad Guzan started, played 90 minutes and made four saves in Aston Villa’s 3-0 loss vs. Chelsea on Saturday.
- Brad Friedel did not dress in Tottenham Hotspur’s 1-1 draw vs. Arsenal on Saturday.
- Geoff Cameron and Stoke City play Newcastle United on Monday.
- Cody Cropper did not dress in Southampton’s 2-1 win vs. Queens Park Rangers on Saturday.
- Jonathan Spector started and played 90 minutes before being subbed off in stoppage time in Birmingham City’s 2-1 loss vs. Fulham on Saturday.
- Brek Shea came off the bench and played 45 minutes for Birmingham City.
- Will Packwood did not dress for Birmingham City.
- Tim Ream dressed but did not play in Bolton Wanderers’ 2-0 loss vs. Derby County on Saturday.
- Eric Lichaj dressed but did not play in Nottingham Forest’s 0-0 draw vs. Brighton & Hove Albion on Saturday.
- Danny Williams did not dress in Reading’s 3-2 win vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers on Sunday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Emerson Hyndman started and played 90 minutes in Fulham’s 2-1 win vs. Birmingham City on Saturday.
- Zak Whitbread started and played 90 minutes in Derby County’s 2-0 win vs. Bolton Wanderers on Saturday.
- Fabian Johnson did not dress in Borussia Moenchengladbach’s 2-1 win vs. SC Paderborn 07 on Saturday.
- John Brooks did not dress in Hertha Berlin’s 1-0 loss vs. FC Augsburg on Sunday.
- Timmy Chandler started and played 90 minutes in Eintracht Franfkurt’s 2-1 win vs. Hamburg SV on Sunday.
- David Yelldell did not dress in Bayer Leverkusen’s 0-0 draw vs. SC Freiburg on Saturday.
- Julian Green did not dress in Hamburg SV’s 2-1 loss vs. Eintracht Frankfurt on Sunday. He is recovering from bruised ribs.
- Joe Gyau dressed but did not play in Borussia Dortmund’s 2-1 loss vs. Schalke 04 on Saturday.
- Alfredo Morales started and played 90 minutes in FC Ingolstadt 04’s 1-0 win vs. Karlsruhe on Saturday.
- Terrence Boyd did not dress in RB Leipzig’s 2-2 draw vs. Fortuna Dusseldorf on Sunday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Bobby Wood dressed but did not play in TSV 1860 Munich’s 2-0 win vs. SpVgg Greuther Furth on Friday.
- Andrew Wooten started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL in SV Sandhausen’s 2-1 loss vs. TSV Eintracht Braunschweig on Friday.
- Alejandro Bedoya started and played 78 minutes in FC Nantes’ 1-1 draw vs. Lyon on Sunday.
- Aron Johannsson did not dress in AZ Alkmaar’s 3-2 win vs. ADO Den Haag on Saturday. He is recovering from a groin injury.
- Rubio Rubin started and played 90 minutes in FC Utrecht’s 3-1 loss vs. FC Twente on Sunday.
- Sacha Kljestan came off the bench and played four minutes in RSC Anderlecht’s 2-0 win vs. Zulte-Waregem on Saturday.
- Conor O’Brien started and played 90 minutes in FC Magna Wiener Neustadt’s 1-0 loss vs. SV Josko Ried on Sunday.
- Mix Diskerud started and played 90 minutes in Rosenborg BK’s 3-0 win vs. Aalesund on Sunday.
- Andrew Jacobson started and played 90 minutes in Stabaek IF’s 2-0 win vs. Lillestrom on Sunday.
- Michael Stephens started and played 90 minutes before being subbed off in stoppage time for Stabaek IF.
- Ethan Horvath did not dress in Molde FK’s 2-1 win vs. FK Bodo/Glimt on Saturday.
- Josh Gatt did not dress for Molde FK. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Zarek Valentin did not dress in FK Bodo/Glimt’s 2-1 loss vs. Molde FK on Saturday. He is recovering from an Achilles injury.
- Jeb Brovsky did not dress in Stromsgodset’s 2-1 win vs. Viking on Saturday.
- Freddy Adu and FK Jagodina play Novi Pazar on Monday.
- Michael Orozco started, played 73 minutes and received a two yellow cards in Puebla’s match vs. Chivas de Guadalajara on Sunday.
- Edgar Castillo started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL in Atlas’ 2-1 loss vs. Monterrey on Saturday.
- Jose Torres started and played 90 minutes in Tigres UANL’s 3-2 win vs. Pachuca on Saturday.
- Herculez Gomez started and played 45 minutes for Tigres UANL.
- Ventura Alvarado did not dress in Club America’s 4-1 win vs. Santos Laguna on Friday.
- Jonathan Bornstein did not dress in Queretaro’s 1-1 draw vs. Toluca on Friday.
- Greg Garza started and played 90 minutes in Club Tijuana’s 1-0 loss vs. Veracruz on Friday.
- Joe Corona started and played 75 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Paul Arriola came off the bench and played 37 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Alejandro Guido did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Amando Moreno did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Fernando Arce Jr did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- John Requejo did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Joaquin Alonso Hernandez came off the bench and played 32 minutes in Monterrey’s 2-1 win vs. Atlas on Saturday.
- Gabriel Farfan did not dress in Jaguares de Chiapas’ 2-2 draw vs. Pumas UNAM on Sunday.
What do you think of these performances? Would you like to see Castillo back on the USMNT? Impressed to see Hernandez get off the bench in such an important Liga MX match?
Share your thoughts below.